SiouxSports.com Forum

2018-19 Non-UND College Hockey

cberkas

24 minutes ago, cberkas said:

ASU beats CC 4-2

ASU is impressing me this season. The NCHC needs to get the Minn St Purple Cows and ASU in our league.  And if we're talking facilities, ASU I believe is building a new one or has solid plans in place to do so.  10 in the NCHC is a nice number.

• Upvote 1

After a great first period and then scoring two goals in a 42 second span, CC fell asleep and ASU came alive. Credit ASU, rather than fold the tent, they turned it on after falling behind 2-0. Johnny Walker comes as advertised too. The guy is always in the right spot.

Did anyone read this week’s predictions on USCHO? Whoever the guy was that predicted CC would sweep, calling ASU overrated and saying they haven’t really beaten anyone good is crazy! ASU is legit, they are a damn good team and will be in good position for an at-large berth in the national tournament.

Impressions of ASU this weekend...

1) Oceanside Arena is old and small, no better than your typical aging single sheet arena you’d find most bantam teams playing in.

2) ASU likes to get into track meets with teams and they’re very good at playing at that pace. I lost count of the # of odd man rushes they had over the course of the weekend.

3) Johnny Walker is the real deal. He scored 4 goals but he should’ve had 6 or 7 this weekend. He was everywhere. But the team isn’t carried solely by him, they have some very fast forwards up and down the lineup. CC tried getting into a track meet with them and it wasn’t pretty.

4) Goalie Joey Daccord is a good netminder and he is big-he takes up most of the net. CC’s best period of the weekend came in the 1st period on Friday (and really their only complete period) where they controlled play and peppered Daccord with several quality shots only to be denied. 

5) I was told that the plan is to break ground on the new arena this spring with a scheduled opening for the 2020-2021 season. Makes you wonder if this might open the door for future talks with the NCHC about conference affiliation? 

9 hours ago, The Sicatoka said:

Cherry (or at least a good maple with a cherry/mahogany stain).

Next question. 

Not with their colors.  Walnut or oak.

If you want cherry, go cherry.  Plain grained hard or soft maple will not match the richness of Cherry aged naturally without stain.  Now, if you're gonna use maple, use some good stuff--curly, ambrosia, spalted, or birds-eye and don't stain it.   Oil it maybe, then finish. 

Granted, a whole locker room of curly or birds-eye would be too much.  Maybe use cherry or walnut with curly or birds-eye raised panels.   You could get by with a lot of ambrosia.  

Shytt--what am I saying?  It's ASU:  pine is good enough for them. 

On 12/16/2018 at 7:09 PM, burd said:

Not with their colors.  Walnut or oak.

If you want cherry, go cherry.  Plain grained hard or soft maple will not match the richness of Cherry aged naturally without stain.  Now, if you're gonna use maple, use some good stuff--curly, ambrosia, spalted, or birds-eye and don't stain it.   Oil it maybe, then finish. 

Granted, a whole locker room of curly or birds-eye would be too much.  Maybe use cherry or walnut with curly or birds-eye raised panels.   You could get by with a lot of ambrosia.  

Shytt--what am I saying?  It's ASU:  pine is good enough for them. 

Say what? Go back and look at the sleeve stripe on their jersey. That's precisely why I say a maple with a cherry/mahogany stain. I'm saying maple in that environment because it'll be more durable than cherry. And I'm not saying they can't use some clear finish straight maple as trim or edging or baseboard. 

All that said, if it's not UND a fiberboard with this base is good enough for them. Think NDSU offers consulting on said subject materials? :D

Just now, The Sicatoka said:

Say what? Go back and look at the sleeve stripe on their jersey. That's precisely why I say a maple with a cherry/mahogany stain. I'm saying maple in that environment because it'll be more durable than cherry. And I'm not saying they can't use some clear finish straight maple as trim or edging or baseboard. 

All that said, if it's not UND a fiberboard with this base is good enough for them. 

Fiberboard would be perfect. 

On 12/16/2018 at 9:36 AM, Godsmack said:

Impressions of ASU this weekend...

1) Oceanside Arena is old and small, no better than your typical aging single sheet arena you’d find most bantam teams playing in.

2) ASU likes to get into track meets with teams and they’re very good at playing at that pace. I lost count of the # of odd man rushes they had over the course of the weekend.

3) Johnny Walker is the real deal. He scored 4 goals but he should’ve had 6 or 7 this weekend. He was everywhere. But the team isn’t carried solely by him, they have some very fast forwards up and down the lineup. CC tried getting into a track meet with them and it wasn’t pretty.

4) Goalie Joey Daccord is a good netminder and he is big-he takes up most of the net. CC’s best period of the weekend came in the 1st period on Friday (and really their only complete period) where they controlled play and peppered Daccord with several quality shots only to be denied. 

5) I was told that the plan is to break ground on the new arena this spring with a scheduled opening for the 2020-2021 season. Makes you wonder if this might open the door for future talks with the NCHC about conference affiliation? 

Was at the Saturday game. ASU has some players with some size ( #28 is a 6'4 219 lbs forward that can move) and played very physical especially in the 2nd period. They also aren't  afraid to crash the net.

3 hours ago, LH Golfer said:

Was at the Saturday game. ASU has some players with some size ( #28 is a 6'4 219 lbs forward that can move) and played very physical especially in the 2nd period. They also aren't  afraid to crash the net.

CC is a pretty small team and it showed against ASU.

4 minutes ago, GO_FIGHTING_SIOUX_GO said:

I’m excited to see this ASU team play tonight

They’re good and even more so, they play with a lot of attitude and moxy. They won’t be intimidated in the least playing any of these 3 ranked opponents. In fact, I think they will revel in the opportunity to face either MSU Mankato or Duluth (But first they need to focus on Clarkson). 

https://letsgodu.com/2018/11/29/denver-boone-pins-have-finally-arrived/

For those of you who collect college hockey memorabilia, check out the link above for Denver Boone pins. Boone was dropped as their mascot by the powers that be at DU a few years ago so these are not officially licensed by the school. I just got mine in the mail and they’re pretty nice and would enhance anyone’s hockey pin collection.