SiouxSports.com Forum

Following UND's recruits

jk

• Replies 150
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

If I'm not mistaken, the BCHL is one of the toughest and most physical junior leagues in North America...

The BCHL is pretty physical. If you look at most of the best forwards, for example, many of them have in excess of 100 PIM. However, unlike most US leagues, two-way hockey is stressed all the way, so I think you get very good "role players" and grinders who fill the gaps on a team of "stars".

The BCHL is pretty physical. If you look at most of the best forwards, for example, many of them have in excess of 100 PIM. However, unlike most US leagues, two-way hockey is stressed all the way, so I think you get very good "role players" and grinders who fill the gaps on a team of "stars".

Whoever asked about Hagemo, I'm guessing that they haven't changed the roster info from earlier when he was actually a WI recruit, then changed his mind last winter/spring and decided to play for the Gophers.

Scott, I haven't seen BCHL or USHL teams play so I don't have first hand experience, but from reading comments over the years, and looking at statistics I might agree that the Canadians teach their players to play both ways but the BCHL as a league might be more offensive oriented, where I think the USHL plays stronger defense overall. I just take those comments, and compare them to the scoring leaders for both leagues and it generally seems like the scoring leaders in the BCHL easily outscore the USHL.

I'm sure more in-depth analysis of games played, goals against averages, shots per game and such would tell more accurately, but that's my impression.

I do think the BCHL is a more physical league. I think there's a lot more fighting and such in the BCHL, than there is in the USHL.

Whoever asked about Hagemo, I'm guessing that they haven't changed the roster info from earlier when he was actually a WI recruit, then changed his mind last winter/spring and decided to play for the Gophers.

Scott, I haven't seen BCHL or USHL teams play so I don't have first hand experience, but from reading comments over the years, and looking at statistics I might agree that the Canadians teach their players to play both ways but the BCHL as a league might be more offensive oriented, where I think the USHL plays stronger defense overall. I just take those comments, and compare them to the scoring leaders for both leagues and it generally seems like the scoring leaders in the BCHL easily outscore the USHL.

I'm sure more in-depth analysis of games played, goals against averages, shots per game and such would tell more accurately, but that's my impression.

I do think the BCHL is a more physical league. I think there's a lot more fighting and such in the BCHL, than there is in the USHL.

If this is indeed the case, wouldn't the top USHL scorers and the top BCHL goaltenders be the most recruited? Any goaltender that can best a league based on offense should be good, right?

If this is indeed the case, wouldn't the top USHL scorers and the top BCHL goaltenders be the most recruited?  Any goaltender that can best a league based on offense should be good, right?

I see where you are going with that question, and I can't say for sure one way or the other. I think it depends on who those players are and what their skills are from year to year.

I'm only conjecturing here, but will throw out a supposition or 2. If top Canadian goalies go Major Junior, for instance, potentially a lot more goals get scored in the BCHL for that reason, and the goalies in the league may not be highly thought of.

I would guess that the top USHL scorers are as highly recruited as the BCHL scorers. From year to year one league may have a more highly prized scorer than the other, mostly likely. Bochenski was very highly sought after, and I think R Potulny was very highly thought of as well last year. The highest scorer in the BCHL I think was Nikiforuk who was NOT as highly recruited (guessing here) as he went to Omaha. Of course, Brady Murray was pretty well thought of and he was just behind Nikiforuk.

I'm going to guess that the Sioux wouldn't trade Murray for Potulny, but they would have taken Potulny over Nikiforuk. (my guess, again).

Anyway, plausible scenarios?