SiouxSports.com Forum

Following UND's recruits

jk

I guess it's fair enough to take a look at UND's recruits, now that the Sioux season is over. Here is how their teams are progressing in their respective league playoffs (in no particular order):

Oshie - Warroad HS, season ended in the MN HS tournament.

Lee - Moorhead HS, season ended in the MN HS tournament.

Beaverson - Green Bay USHL, failed to qualify for playoffs.

Lamoreaux - Lincoln USHL, failed to qualify for playoffs.

Kaip - Notre Dame SJHL, lost in first round of playoffs, 4 games to 1.

Spirko - Tri-City USHL, kicked off USHL playoffs with a 4-3 win last night. Follow them at http://www.ushl.com/

Duncan - SSM, kicked off national midget tourney with a 4-3 win yesterday. Follow at http://www.usahockey.com/2004nationals/main/tier1_17u/

Chorney - SSM

Zajac - Salmon Arm BCHL, will play for BCHL title beginning April 3. Follow at http://bchl.bc.ca

Radke - Grande Prairie AJHL, tied in games 2-2 in the league semifinals. Follow at http://www.ajhl.ca/

• Replies 150
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Sounds like Radke is a solid player.

Kyle Radke has become the first Grande Prairie Storm player to win the W. G. (Bill) Scott Memorial Trophy as the Outstanding Defenceman in the Alberta Junior Hockey League.

Radke received the award from league president Kim Marsh of Red Deer prior to Grande Prairie's home playoff game tonight.

Oshie - 2005 (maybe 06 depending on development)

Lee - 2005

Beaverson - 2004 (maybe 05 depending on the roster?)

Lamoreaux - 2004

Kaip - 2004

Spirko - 2004 (probably, with ZP gone; had been 05)

Duncan - 2005

Chorney - 2005

Zajac - 2004

Radke - 2004

Lee - 2005

Lamoreaux - 2004

Kaip - 2004

Duncan - 2005

Chorney - 2005

Zajac - 2004

Radke - 2004

I definitely think Spirko will be here in '04 now that Zach is gone. I don't see Spirko as a first liner, but definitely a second liner. Imagine with Murray and Spirko as the fleet skated members of their line. We're going to be FAST up top. I hope the others can keep up.

Green Bay Gamblers

Beaverson had a team worse -8 +/- this year :p and only 8 points ;) but lead in PIM 141 .. not sure how I feel about that.

I saw him play two years ago, he did not stand out, but it was before he signed with the Sioux so I wasn't paying much attention, and good stay at D men rarely are noticed. With these stats though, looks like the only part of his game he improved from 02/03 was fighting, which is not going to help the Sioux. Unless he suits up for one game against tech to pummel that 6-7 goon.

Green Bay Gamblers

Beaverson had a team worse -8 +/- this year :p and only 8 points ;) but lead in PIM 141 .. not sure how I feel about that.

I saw him play two years ago, he did not stand out, but it was before he signed with the Sioux so I wasn't paying much attention, and good stay at D men rarely are noticed. With these stats though, looks like the only part of his game he improved from 02/03 was fighting, which is not going to help the Sioux. Unless he suits up for one game against tech to pummel that 6-7 goon.

Curious: How did Matt Greene do in juniors? Wasn't he also in Green Bay?

Curious: How did Matt Greene do in juniors? Wasn't he also in Green Bay?

Matt Greene

2001-02 Green-Bay Gamblers USHL 55 4 20 24 150

This site Hockey Stats archives many old stats. Not sure how reliable they are, but I checked what they had on Beaverson, and it was the same as the USHL site. Greene had more goals, assists and PIM than Beaverson, who knows what the team was like though.

Greene played well in Green Bay. I believe he led in penalty minutes or was up there in numbers. I am from Green Bay and got to see him play in his first season there. I saw Beaverson play last year and he played well the few times I saw him. He has the height and strength. I am sure that as soon as he joins the Sioux, he will grow and develop into a better player. This season, I didn't keep up with the Gamblers because I went off to school. I just know they didn't do very well at all.

In an earlier thread, we had fun at Doug Woog's expense speculating on whether or not he'd be able to pronounce the names of our recruits. I know Spirko is "Sper-o" but how does Zajac pronounce his last name? I did some internet research and came to the conclusion that, if he's Polish, like the Pope, it's "ZAH-yonts." Can someone confirm or correct this?

Lee - 2005

Lamoreaux - 2004

Kaip - 2004

Duncan - 2005

Chorney - 2005

Zajac - 2004

Radke - 2004

Yes, Spirko should be at UND this fall.

Another player to watch from Shattuck is Jonathan Toews (pronounced Tase). He's from Winnipeg and has 108 points as a 10th grader and has the skills of Zach Parise. But he is bigger than Zach. I wouldn't be surprised to see him go to the USHL next year. I believe he is projected as the #1 pick in the Major Junior Draft so it will probably be difficult to keep him here. But nobody will prepare him better for the NHL than Blaiser.

THE SIOUX NEED TO PICK UP BLAKE WHEELER FROM BRECK

HE IS THE BEST HIGH SCHOOL PLAYER I HAVE EVER SEEN

Agreed, he made the other high school players look like little boys with his mad skills.

Sounds like we got a sweet class coming in. I think I've gotten over Parise leaving and I'm pumped for next season with all of the returning talent and a lot of new faces.

Yes, Spirko should be at UND this fall.

Another player to watch from Shattuck is Jonathan Toews (pronounced Tase). He's from Winnipeg and has 108 points as a 10th grader and has the skills of Zach Parise. But he is bigger than Zach. I wouldn't be surprised to see him go to the USHL next year. I believe he is projected as the #1 pick in the Major Junior Draft so it will probably be difficult to keep him here. But nobody will prepare him better for the NHL than Blaiser.

When I saw Toews play at the Ralph I met a friend of the Toews family.

From all accounts of what the guy said, Toews is going Major Junior.

Jonathan Toews was the #1 overall pick in the 2003 WHL Bantam Draft by the Tri-City Americans.

It would be very surprising to see a kid from Canada that is the #1 overall pick in the WHL draft forego that opportunity and play US college hockey. That said, if he's going to play college hockey, it might as well be for North Dakota. ;)

I was in Nebraska on business this week and I was able to attend the Tri-City playoff game last night and watch Spirko play. He is definitely a fast skater and a good playmaker. I think he's going to be a great addition if he comes next year.

I know that the correct pronunciation of his last name is supposed to be "Speer-o" with the K silent, but the announcer at their home arena pronounces it "Speer-ko".

I was in Nebraska on business this week and I was able to attend the Tri-City playoff game last night and watch Spirko play. He is definitely a fast skater and a good playmaker. I think he's going to be a great addition if he comes next year.

I know that the correct pronunciation of his last name is supposed to be "Speer-o" with the K silent, but the announcer at their home arena pronounces it "Speer-ko".

Tom-A-toe...Tom-AH-toe

Just call him 'The Slav'

fargosioux, did you see the Bartuzzi mugging he got last night?

http://home.earthlink.net/~stormpix/sitebu.../dmfirsthit.jpg

Not a clear picture, but you can still make out it was a dirty hit from behind.

No call either. Play-off hockey. Let 'em play.