SiouxSports.com Forum

Following UND's recruits

jk

Might have been asked in a previous thread, but...

43 . Portland : Justin Mazurek , D , ( 11/08/88 ) Calgary, AB

Any relation to Chad?

EDIT: Out of curiosity, are (or were) any current Sioux players drafted by any of the MJ teams?

I think that's a different spelling.

• Replies 150
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

When I saw Toews play at the Ralph I met a friend of the Toews family.

From all accounts of what the guy said, Toews is going Major Junior.

I think this is the consensus. The chances of Toews going to college are not much better than Crosby. He's not going to get as much $$ as Crosby, but he'll still make a ton for a 16 year old kid and he'll be on the NHL fast track.

Blake Wheeler has narrowed his choices to BC and the Gophers. He did stand out more than any A player in the state tourney, it's hard to tell for sure, being Breck had no competition. Any kid with his size and skill could go anywhere he wanted, he fits the NHL mold so well, I'd be surprised to see him play more than 2 years of college hockey.

Lammy had a solid season. Very respectable SV% at .918 or so, but if you compare the leaders and the numbers of shots they faced it's obvious Lammy was tested in ways other goalies were not.

Yes he did.

The rest of the team around him gave up on the season.

Not a typical Steve Johnson team at all.

In an earlier thread, we had fun at Doug Woog's expense speculating on whether or not he'd be able to pronounce the names of our recruits. I know Spirko is "Sper-o" but how does Zajac pronounce his last name? I did some internet research and came to the conclusion that, if he's Polish, like the Pope, it's "ZAH-yonts." Can someone confirm or correct this?

Yes, I can confirm that the Pope is indeed Polish.

I think this is the consensus. The chances of Toews going to college are not much better than Crosby. He's not going to get as much $$ as Crosby, but he'll still make a ton for a 16 year old kid and he'll be on the NHL fast track.

I don't think that's the consensus at all. He may end up play MJ's, but I don't think he is leaning one way or the other right now. I would say.....if you see him in a USHL uniform next fall, get ready to watch him play college hockey. ;)

Drew Stafford scored 116 points for Shattuck last year. Toews will probably equal that as a 10th grader this year. Parise played college hockey, and Danny Bertram decided to take the college route. Toews just might decide to do it also. This kid has way more skills than Wheeler, so given the choice of recruiting one over the other, I think I would spend my time with Toews.

I don't think that's the consensus at all. He may end up play MJ's, but I don't think he is leaning one way or the other right now. I would say.....if you see him in a USHL uniform next fall, get ready to watch him play college hockey. ;)

Drew Stafford scored 116 points for Shattuck last year. Toews will probably equal that as a 10th grader this year. Parise played college hockey, and Danny Bertram decided to take the college route. Toews just might decide to do it also. This kid has way more skills than Wheeler, so given the choice of recruiting one over the other, I think I would spend my time with Toews.

Just so you know, Bertram and Toews have a little difference in scouting reports.

Toews was 1st round, 1st overall.

Bertram was 2nd round 1st overall.

Things work VERY differently when you are a first rounder.

And Rick, if it is not the consensus, then enlighten us. You're the first I've ever heard say Toews may not go MJ.

Bertram was the second player chosen. Period. Bertram and Toews are both Parise-caliber recruits.

-------------------------------------

http://www.chl.ca/WHLNews0102/0503.html

Gilbert Brule selected 1st overall in 2002 WHL Bantam Draft

The Western Hockey League conducted the 13th Annual Bantam Draft on Thursday, May 2nd, at the Pengrowth Saddledome in the Air Canada Club.

For the first time in the history of the Bantam Draft, the first overall pick was traded. The Prince Albert Raiders traded the first overall pick to the Vancouver Giants in exchange for the third overall pick and a third round pick. The Giants then selected Gilbert Brule as the number one player taken in the 2002 WHL Bantam Draft. Brule is a centreman from North Vancouver, British Columbia. The Vancouver Giants with the second overall selection, picked up another centreman from Calgary, Alberta, Daniel Bertram.

ROUND 1

PICK TEAM TRADED TO PLAYER POS D.O.B. HOMETOWN

1 Prince Albert Vancouver Gilbert Brule C 01/01/87 North Vancouver, BC

2 Vancouver Daniel Bertram C 01/14/87 Calgary, AB

3 Medicine Hat Van / PA Mike Gauthier D 03/26/87 Vancouver, BC

4 Seattle Chris Durand C 01/21/87 Saskatoon,Sk

5 Saskatoon Devin Setoguchi RW 01/01/87 Taber, Ab

6 Moose Jaw Kendall, McCardle LW 01/04/87 Burnaby, BC

7 Tri-Cities Carey Price G 08/16/87 Williams Lake, BC

8 Lethbridge Michael Kaye RW 02/14/87 Saskatoon,Sk

9 Calgary Riley Merkley C 04/25/87 Blackie, AB

10 Kelowna Kevin Reinholt D 01/07/87 Toefield, AB

11 Prince George Nick Drazenovic C 01/14/87 Prince George, BC

12 Spokane Adam Hobson C 01/09/87 Mission, BC

13 Portland Lethbridge Kenny Petkau RW 03/16/87 Surrey, BC

14 Kootenay Swift Current Ryan Sawka C 04/13/87 Emerald Park, SK

15 Kamloops Kelvin Sagert D 01/20/87 Abbotsford, BC

16 Regina Tanner Stockwell D 07/04/87 Strathmore, AB

17 Brandon Codey Burki C 11/17/87 Winnipeg, MB

18 Swift Current Billy Smith C 08/10/86 Sterling, AK

19 Red Deer Paul Kurceba D 02/19/87 Calgary, AB

ROUND 2

PICK TEAM TRADED TO PLAYER POS D.O.B. HOMETOWN

20 Vancouver Shaun Vey RW 06/27/87 Wakaw, SK

21 Seattle Brenton Stamler D 03/10/87 Beaumont, AB

22 Prince Albert Julian Marcuzzi D 04/05/87 Vancouver, BC

I haven't done enough homework on this, but here are a few rough updates.

Tri-City has beaten Des Moines again tonight and won the series 3 games to none. Spirko didn't find the scoresheet much in the first two games, but was 1-2-3 in a 6-1 win tonight.

Grande Praire (Radke) lost the first two games of its series on the road, but has now won three in a row and leads the best of seven 3-2. The next game is Sunday night.

Salmon Arm starts its series tonight, but the game is just underway.

SSM has advanced to the national title game tomorrow afternoon against the Jr. Bruins, an Eastern all-star team loaded with Division 1 commitments (Matt Greene, BC, Bourque, BU, Yandle, UNH, and others). SSM trailed LA in the semifinal tonight 1-0 after two, but came back to win 4-1, with the back-breaking goal coming SH (Duncan from Toews) to put SSM up 3-1. Duncan has contributed to the scoring in the tournament, but it appears to be basically a team effort for SSM, with the scoring well-distributed.

Salmon Arm starts its series tonight, but the game is just underway.

Salmon Arm lost game 1 to Nainamo 4-2 (Zajac 1-1-2). Long delay when SA winger Miller was knocked out by an elbow and carted out to an ambulance.

SSM's run ended in the finals against the Jr. Bruins, where SSM lost 6-2. Down 3-0 after two, SSM pulled to within 4-2 in the third before giving up two empty-netters. Sounds like Coach Ward has been watching Coach Blais with the aggressive extra-attacker strategy. Anyway, congratulations to the SSM guys for a strong tournament.

SSM's run ended in the finals against the Jr. Bruins, where SSM lost 6-2. Down 3-0 after two, SSM pulled to within 4-2 in the third before giving up two empty-netters. Sounds like Coach Ward has been watching Coach Blais with the aggressive extra-attacker strategy. Anyway, congratulations to the SSM guys for a strong tournament.

What is interesting is the Jr. Bruins roster is about 75% different for the national tournament. They are basically a prep school all star team. Ray Bourque's kid played for Cushing the entire season, until he 'magically' appears on the Jr. Bruins? Here is the top four leading scorers in the tourny. I guess Bourque is a man among boys, maybe BU will actually win a few games next year. :D

19 Bourque JR. BRUINS F 11 11 22

14 Ryan JR. BRUINS F 7 11 18

17 Smolinsky JR. BRUINS D 5 7 12

15 Quirk JR. BRUINS F 6 4 10

Top players for SSM where Milo and Mowbry, Duncan was pretty quiet on the stat sheets all tourny.

It was interesting to see how quiet Duncan and Toews were in the tourney.

Grande Prairie won its series 4 games to 2, with Radke going 1-1-2 in the clinching 4-2 win last night. They move on to the AJHL finals, which normally would mean they would be playing for a chance to win the Royal Bank Cup, the national title for the Canadian Tier II leagues. However, since Grande Prairie hosts the national tournament this year, they draw an automatic berth in the final tournament. If Salmon Arm could get there from the BCHL, Zajac could be matched up against Radke.

As for Salmon Arm, they won Sunday night, bringing their series even at one game each as the teams head back to Nanaimo.

It was interesting to see how quiet Duncan and Toews were in the tourney.

Grande Prairie won its series 4 games to 2, with Radke going 1-1-2 in the clinching 4-2 win last night. They move on to the AJHL finals, which normally would mean they would be playing for a chance to win the Royal Bank Cup, the national title for the Canadian Tier II leagues. However, since Grande Prairie hosts the national tournament this year, they draw an automatic berth in the final tournament. If Salmon Arm could get there from the BCHL, Zajac could be matched up against Radke.

As for Salmon Arm, they won Sunday night, bringing their series even at one game each as the teams head back to Nanaimo.

If Grand Prairie and Salmon Arm both win their league's championships they will compete against each other

This is from a news note on the AJHL website, April 5th news release http://www.ajhl.ca/

Grande Prairie and Fort McMurray will play a best-of-seven final for a berth in the best-of-seven Doyle Cup, against the British Columbia Hockey League champion.

Whoooops. Salmon Arm's season just ended with a series loss to Nanaimo. And boy were the Nanaimo radio guys excited. (It brings new meaning to the word pathetic that I am listening to the radio broadcast of a game between the Salmon Arm Silverbacks and the Nanaimo Clippers.)

So for Sioux recruits it is down to Tri-City in the USHL and Grande Prairie in the AJHL.

So for Sioux recruits it is down to Tri-City in the USHL and Grande Prairie in the AJHL.

Tri-City vs. Sioux City @ Tri-City, Thursday, April 15th, 7:05pm

Tri-City vs. Sioux City @ Tri-City, Friday, April 16th, 7:05pm

Tri-City @ Sioux City, Thursday, April 22nd, 7:35pm

Tri-City @ Sioux City, Friday, April 23rd, 7:35pm

Tri-City vs. Sioux City @ Tri-City, Monday, April 26th, 7:05pm

The home games have been shown on local cable. So if you know anyone in Kearney or surounding towns, they can tape them for you. I'm having tapes made for me because we live to far out for cable. If anyone would like, I could have a tape or two sent their way. PM me and I'll see what I can do.

You can listen to the games on radio webcast at Stormhockey.com

Or follow realtime stats at pointstreak.com

NORTH DAKOTA

Luke Beaverson D 6-4 220 12/11/84 Vadnais Heights, Minn. Green Bay (USHL)

Ryan Duncan F R 5-6 155 7/14/85 Calgary, Alta. Shattuck St. Mary's

Rylan Kaip F R 6-0 175 3/19/84 Wilcox, Sask. Notre Dame (SJHL)

Phillipe Lamoureux G L 5-10 155 8/20/84 Grand Forks, N.D.

Lincoln (USHL)

Kyle Radke D L 5-11 187 5/13/85 Grande Prairie (AJHL)

Layne Sedevie G 5-9 173 1/18/83 Bismarck, N.D. Topeka (USHL)

Travis Zajac F R 6-2 205 5/13/85 Winnipeg, Man. Salmon Arm (BCHL)

this is from http://www.insidecollegehockey.com/7Archiv...cruits_wcha.htm

Layne Sedevie that cant be right cuz we dont need another goalie