SiouxSports.com Forum

Coach Jones?

darell1976

A change absolutely needs to be made after this season, or else the inevitable will just happen this time next season.

Brian Jones has an overall record, from 2006 to the present, of 126-151. That's well under 0.500 after 9 seasons, and all coaching removals can be justified by losing, particularly if the sample size is large enough.

From 2006-2008 in the DII NCC, Jones mustered out a 26-32 overall record and a measly 5-20 conference record. From 2008 to 2012, in the Great West Conference (where competition is especially weak), Jones and UND went 60-64 overall and 24-22 in the conference. As a member of the Big Sky Conference, an automatic bid DI league that gives UND basketball a great opportunity, Jones and UND have gone 41-55 overall and 28-29 in the conference. All records are unacceptable and should certainly support the removal of Jones.

For those who suggest this a rebuilding year, I do not agree. UND went 0.500 in 2013-2014, so there should be improvement from that, not descent. Also, UND and Jones have recruited and developed poorly. The starting lineup is not absent of talent and experience; it includes 6th year Sr. Jaron Nash, DI Transfer Jr. Estan Tyler, and DI Transfer Jr. Terrel de Rouen. Also, coming off the bench, is Sr. Lenny Antwi. Lastly, there is a waste of potential and/or spots with Jr. Benton not even playing, and last year rotation players Sr. Calcaterra and Sr. Salmonson not even playing. The team is a mess and its because Jones did not develop and plan out his roster accordingly. This horrific 8-21 (4-13) season is largely on him.

A change absolutely needs to be made after this season, or else the inevitable will just happen this time next season.

Brian Jones has an overall record, from 2006 to the present, of 126-151. That's well under 0.500 after 9 seasons, and all coaching removals can be justified by losing, particularly if the sample size is large enough.

From 2006-2008 in the DII NCC, Jones mustered out a 26-32 overall record and a measly 5-20 conference record. From 2008 to 2012, in the Great West Conference (where competition is especially weak), Jones and UND went 60-64 overall and 24-22 in the conference. As a member of the Big Sky Conference, an automatic bid DI league that gives UND basketball a great opportunity, Jones and UND have gone 41-55 overall and 28-29 in the conference. All records are unacceptable and should certainly support the removal of Jones.

For those who suggest this a rebuilding year, I do not agree. UND went 0.500 in 2013-2014, so there should be improvement from that, not descent. Also, UND and Jones have recruited and developed poorly. The starting lineup is not absent of talent and experience; it includes 6th year Sr. Jaron Nash, DI Transfer Jr. Estan Tyler, and DI Transfer Jr. Terrel de Rouen. Also, coming off the bench, is Sr. Lenny Antwi. Lastly, there is a waste of potential and/or spots with Jr. Benton not even playing, and last year rotation players Sr. Calcaterra and Sr. Salmonson not even playing. The team is a mess and its because Jones did not develop and plan out his roster accordingly. This horrific 8-21 (4-13) season is largely on him.

He needs more time to grow.

With 21 losses on the year now, this season will end with the 2nd most losses in a season in the history of the program.  With just one game remaining, the 2009-10 season which had 23 losses, will remain as the low point for North Dakota basketball.

Jones' 151 career losses trail only Rich Glas and Dave Gunther, who coached twice as long as Jones has so far. 

Tonight was yet another embarrassing loss to an inferior team - at home!!!

I would suggest brief, classy, sincere comments to:

robert.kelley@UND.edu

brian.faison@athletics.und.edu

In case someone didn't see this.....

There were negative comments about these two guys - but they are the decision-makers!  Our commiserating on this board isn't going to do any good! 

He needs more time to grow.

Is this the new #butCIT?

In case someone didn't see this.....

There were negative comments about these two guys - but they are the decision-makers!  Our commiserating on this board isn't going to do any good! 

I've challenged people many times to voice their opinions to people who actually matter instead of complaining on a message board.  I'll give credit to the few that do, but the large majority won't.

With 21 losses on the year now, this season will end with the 2nd most losses in a season in the history of the program. With just one game remaining, the 2009-10 season which had 23 losses, will remain as the low point for North Dakota basketball.

Jones' 151 career losses trail only Rich Glas and Dave Gunther, who coached twice as long as Jones has so far.

Jdub isn't going to like these facts

Is this the new #butCIT?

I've challenged people many times to voice their opinions to people who actually matter instead of complaining on a message board. I'll give credit to the few that do, but the large majority won't.

I am just quoting your buddy Brian.

With 21 losses on the year now, this season will end with the 2nd most losses in a season in the history of the program.  With just one game remaining, the 2009-10 season which had 23 losses, will remain as the low point for North Dakota basketball.

Jones' 151 career losses trail only Rich Glas and Dave Gunther, who coached twice as long as Jones has so far. 

At least in 2009-10, we could delude ourselves into thinking that having five or six scholarship players red-shirting was the main reason for the awful record that year.

Jdub isn't going to like these facts

Show me one place that I've enjoyed them or the results this season.  Understanding and trying to explain why a coach isn't going to be fired isn't the same as supporting a coach, I'm sorry you are unable to recognize the difference.

I am just quoting your buddy Brian.

Still going to message board route of calling for someone's job anonymously and hoping someone sees it instead of manning up and sending an e-mail to someone who could actually do something and putting your name to it?

• Upvote 3

Somewhere Rich Glas is drinking his morning coffee, reading this thread, and thinking to himself, "Miss me yet?" :D

He is at the Starbucks off of 8th in Moorhead.............he'll field offers to return to UND til 10.

The big thing is, if you replace Jones and don't up the salary substantially, you still get the same quality guy IMO.   I'm not convinced we are ready to take the big step and get the salary in line with where it needs to be and can we afford to increase the $$$ and pay Jones for the next 2 years?    I'm still leaning towards giving Jones one more year and the understanding things need to be a whole lot better next year.  

Remember, we need to start paying stipends next year, so money is going to be flowing out much faster than in the past.

Show me one place that I've enjoyed them or the results this season. Understanding and trying to explain why a coach isn't going to be fired isn't the same as supporting a coach, I'm sorry you are unable to recognize the difference.

Still going to message board route of calling for someone's job anonymously and hoping someone sees it instead of manning up and sending an e-mail to someone who could actually do something and putting your name to it?

So other people are calling for his job and yet you only come after me.

My guess, and it's just a guess, is that the one guy who would probably be in the best position to advise Faison on this situation is Steve Brekke. One, he's an assistant a.d. Two, he's  a former UND basketball player, and a very good one. Finally, his son played for Jones for five years. If Brekke gives Jones a vote of confidence, it would probably go a long way. If not, all bets might be off.

The big thing is, if you replace Jones and don't up the salary substantially, you still get the same quality guy IMO.   I'm not convinced we are ready to take the big step and get the salary in line with where it needs to be and can we afford to increase the $$$ and pay Jones for the next 2 years?    I'm still leaning towards giving Jones one more year and the understanding things need to be a whole lot better next year.  

Remember, we need to start paying stipends next year, so money is going to be flowing out much faster than in the past.

Of course they would up the salary.  They have done it for every coach that has been replaced after the transition.  It would need to be in the 140-150K range.  

So other people are calling for his job and yet you only come after me.

You are the most vocal.  And you seem to have no issue bringing my name up. 

So have you sent an e-mail and actually put your name to your demand that someone lose their job to someone who actually has the power to do something about it?

This is bothersome to me.  We need to get to at least the mid-range in the Big Sky.  We are also well below our Dakota peers.  

You are the most vocal.  And you seem to have no issue bringing my name up. 

So have you sent an e-mail and actually put your name to your demand that someone lose their job to someone who actually has the power to do something about it?

I bring your name up because you keep blasting me, while at the same time post after post of other members calling for Jones' job goes by and you stand silent. To answer your other issue, no I haven't emailed Faison yet but I will and when I email someone I always put my name on it. I am sure Faison can see Wins and Losses plus attendance and can see maybe change is in order. Just look at football, oh sorry for bringing up Muss.

My guess, and it's just a guess, is that the one guy who would probably be in the best position to advise Faison on this situation is Steve Brekke. One, he's an assistant a.d. Two, he's  a former UND basketball player, and a very good one. Finally, his son played for Jones for five years. If Brekke gives Jones a vote of confidence, it would probably go a long way. If not, all bets might be off.

If they were to make a move (which I doubt) I'd want Brekke to do the heavy lifting with limited Faison oversight.  That's probably not realistic, so I say wait until Faison retires next year.   

A very good observation! 

Interestingly, Steve told me before the season that he thought we would surprise people this year as the talent was much stronger than many realized.  He also hinted that it might be easier to coach this team (as compared to last year's group of seniors that often played for themselves).  I had agreed with this last comment - until the results of this year proved differently.