SiouxSports.com Forum

Coach Jones?

darell1976

No because I think reaching the BSC title game last year was a fluke for the MBB team, a fluke that I do not think will be repeated in the coming years under Jones.

So when he does win it's a fluke. Man, tough crowd. "Coach, we are gonna have to let you go. Even though you reached the BSC title game. We think it was a fluke. Therefore, it's time to go. Didn't really happen or ah, er, we didn't think you could do it but you did but that doesn't matter. It was just a fluke"

No because I think reaching the BSC title game last year was a fluke for the MBB team, a fluke that I do not think will be repeated in the coming years under Jones.

Pretty tough to call it a fluke when they were a rattled 3 pointer away from doing it the year before.

I have no disagreements on Jones OOC record among other things but his teams have played their best basketball at the end of the year and in conference tournaments.  Making the Big Sky championship game last year was no fluke.

Don't forget Glen Mason at Minnesota.  He loaded up on a soft non-conference schedule, which allowed him to get to 6 wins and be bowl eligible even while getting destroyed by the B1G elite.  But he forgot one little detail; you must win the crappy bowl game you get or else.  That is what doomed him in the end.  Now they are building a better program with Jerry Kill.

They also hired Tim Brewster in between and their program got worse before it got better. Kind of an important detail.

• Upvote 1

The other thing that isn't instilling any confidence in myself or others I have talked to: recruiting.  Nine transfers on one roster is not recruiting.  If he had a nice base of high school kids and a few transfers to plug holes, then one could project out and say things will get better.  

When the base of your team is transfers that does not give the fans any hope that he is going to be build anything.  It says he is trying for a quick fix and flying by the seat of his pants, year to year.  

They also hired Tim Brewster in between and their program got worse before Kill.  Kind of an important detail.

But they were also smart enough to realize their mistake and did what had to be done.  Some people on here did not want to do what had to be done with regard to Mussman and the FB program about one year ago; all they gave us was the standard "Muss isn't out there playing, so it's not his fault" line.

Take a look through some old box scores and I bet you will find that UND gets outscored in the second half, more often than not.  Other teams make adjustments, where UND does not seem to.

I don't like getting involved in the fire coaches thread, but this is what stands out to me and gives me concern.

So when he does win it's a fluke. Man, tough crowd. "Coach, we are gonna have to let you go. Even though you reached the BSC title game. We think it was a fluke. Therefore, it's time to go. Didn't really happen or ah, er, we didn't think you could do it but you did but that doesn't matter. It was just a fluke"

Then what about the back to back debacles vs. Minnesota and NDSU?  And what about the horrible road record?  Those are things that cannot be just ignored and swept under the rug.

Then what about the back to back debacles vs. Minnesota and NDSU?  And what about the horrible road record?  Those are things that cannot be just ignored and swept under the rug.

Get it straight.  Top half of conference and a .100 OOC road record is all that can be expected.  On the hockey front, 6 national semi-finals appearances in ten years is grounds for a dismissal.   

I'm not advocating a firing as of today.  And I don't see it happening barring a complete disaster in conference, which I don't see coming and certainly don't wish for. That said, I think it's a legitimate discussion to talk about other coaching options out there.  It's a discussion board.  If Hakstol was .100 OOC road during his run I wonder what tune you'd be whistling? 

It would be interesting to see what the break down of those 100 games and how many of them were on the road.

He did turn a 6-7 team into a 1-11 team and still got almost 3 more years after that.  Brewster coached almost 4 years of his 5 year contract.

Why do you think he got to year 4 of a 5 year contract?  $$$$$  They gave him a shot to fix it which all coaches get, he didnt, and fired him once the buyout was low enough.  They didn't keep extending him for doing a below average job.

Then what about the back to back debacles vs. Minnesota and NDSU? And what about the horrible road record? Those are things that cannot be just ignored and swept under the rug.

Understood. But the MN game needs to be held in context. It's a money game with a superior big ten team. That type of loss is to be expected especially in rebuilding year. Ndsu was rifled by Texas and Iowa by 35 each as well. The ndsu game was a bad loss. No question. Just as it was a bad loss for them vs us last year. It just happens some time. One game.

But they were also smart enough to realize their mistake and did what had to be done. Some people on here did not want to do what had to be done with regard to Mussman and the FB program about one year ago; all they gave us was the standard "Muss isn't out there playing, so it's not his fault" line.

Trust me. If Tim brewster had lost in the big ten title game, they wouldn't have fired him the next year after a bad loss.

Why do you think he got to year 4 of a 5 year contract?  $$$$$  They gave him a shot to fix it which all coaches get, he didnt, and fired him once the buyout was low enough.  They didn't keep extending him for doing a below average job.

Exactly.  Which is the same reason Jones will likely have the rest of this year and next year to get it figured out.  After the 2013 season (first D-1) where his team finished 3rd in the Big Sky and was a missed 3 pointer away from making the conference championship, he had 2 years left on his contract and they added two more and brought his salary to slightly over $100K.  He has 1 1/2 years to change people's mind.

Exactly.  Which is the same reason Jones will likely have the rest of this year and next year to get it figured out.  After the 2013 season (first D-1) where his team finished 3rd in the Big Sky and was a missed 3 pointer away from making the conference championship, he had 2 years left on his contract and they added two more and brought his salary to slightly over $100K.  He has 1 1/2 years to change people's mind.

I get what you are saying.  But this is contact #3 for Jones over nine years.  How many chances/contracts does he get to prove himself?

Maturi was smart enough (dumb enough to hire him) to not extend Brewster at all once he saw the product he was getting on and off the field.  

I get what you are saying.  But this is contact #3 for Jones over nine years.  How many chances/contracts does he get to prove himself?

Maturi was smart enough (dumb enough to hire him) to not extend Brewster at all once he saw the product he was getting on and off the field.  

For better or worse, the transition to D-1 worked in Jones favor.  He has been able to buy himself enough time to prove it.  The dollar amount of the contract tells me the AD isn't completely sold either.

Convenient.

9 years....9 years without 1 signature win and you don't have enough fingers and toes to count up all the bad losses.

But according to you a 3rd and 2nd place finish in the BS puts it all in perspective.

• Upvote 2