SiouxSports.com Forum

Coach Jones?

darell1976

So comparing two schools with very similar institutional profiles is now inappropriate?  Okay, whatever floats your boat. :whistling:

PS: Your analogies were poor, please try harder next time.

It's pretty simple. Because someone else did you don't assume its the norm and you should immediately be able to do something too.

"Well this person (school) did it" is not a good argument.  It's not trying very hard. That's all you are basically saying. 

The Bison won four championships in FCS. So UND should too because they are "very similar institutional profiles?

What's going on at NDSU athletics wise right now? One thing: Mens Basketball. What's going on at UND? They are not exactly the same school.

UND is also "very similar institutional profiles" with every school in the Big Sky. Is UND on average finishing in the top half the past two years (the only years UND has been in the big sky IIRC)?

Why do you only compare UND to NDSU? Because they are close? Worrying about UND's actual conference mates might be more useful. You know the ones UND has to beat if they wanna go to March Madness.

• Upvote 1

It's pretty simple. Because someone else did you don't assume its the norm and you should immediately be able to do something too.

"Well this person (school) did it" is not a good argument. It's not trying very hard. That's all you are basically saying.

The Bison won four championships in FCS. So UND should too because they are "very similar institutional profiles?

What's going on at NDSU athletics wise. One things: Mens Basketball. What's going on at UND? They are not exactly the same schools.

UND is also "very similar institutional profiles" with every school in the Big Sky. Is UND on average finishing in the top half the past two years (the only years UND has been in the big sky IIRC)?

Why do you only compare UND to NDSU? Because they are close? Worrying about UND's actual conference mates might be more useful. You know the ones UND has to beat if they wanna go to March Madness.

Maybe it's setting the bar high by comparing us to NDSU, instead of comparing us to Montana or Sac State. Weber is a basketball school so we can't compare to that. Plus you got that weather factor someone brought up so NDSU compares quite equally to UND. #buttCIT
  • Upvote 1

Maybe it's setting the bar high by comparing us to NDSU, instead of comparing us to Montana or Sac State. Weber is a basketball school so we can't compare to that. Plus you got that weather factor someone brought up so NDSU compares quite equally to UND. #buttCIT

I think we are all for setting the bar high and trying to be the best we can be. And that's what it comes down to. UND doing its all to be the best it can be. We just have different opinions on how to go about it. 

• Upvote 1

I think we are all for setting the bar high and trying to be the best we can be. And that's what it comes down to. UND doing its all to be the best it can be. We just have different opinions on how to go about it.

True, and I can see tackling your conference mates instead of looking at local teams outside the conference. I wonder with Weber St down this year if that trend will continue in the upcoming seasons.

Enough with the weather. Pretty sure the weather is fine inside the Betty. We mainly recruit Minnesota, hardly a culture shock weather wise!

I'm not even sure if this whole weather discussion is supposed to be serious or not, but assuming it is, I don't understand the point behind making excuses for something, i.e. recruiting, that hasn't seemed to be much of a problem in the last five or six years. I have no complaints about the talent level in the program--recent past, present or immediate future. With what will be returning, and if Crandall and Seales are even close to being as advertised, I actually think UND will probably be top three in the Big Sky next year in talent. In spite of weather, hockey, Jones' salary, etc. :silly:

• Upvote 1

I'm not even sure if this whole weather discussion is supposed to be serious or not, but assuming it is, I don't understand the point behind making excuses for something, i.e. recruiting, that hasn't seemed to be much of a problem in the last five or six years. I have no complaints about the talent level in the program--recent past, present or immediate future. With what will be returning, and if Crandall and Seales are even close to being as advertised, I actually think UND will probably be top three in the Big Sky next year in talent. In spite of weather, hockey, Jones' salary, etc. :silly:

100% agree.  There are several excuses being thrown about by certain posters in an attemp to justify this program's current shortcomings.  It is my opinion that North Dakota should be a top 3 Big Sky team EVERY year.  I have been very pleased with the way the team has performed in Big Sky play in its first two years.  They met my expectations in 2013 & 2014.  But I am certainly not in awe of a 2nd & 3rd place finish in one of the 10 worst conferences in the country. 

I think that Jones has done a wonderful job replenishing the roster after the massive turnover from a year ago.  When I look at Hooker and Shanks, I see two future All Conference players.

Some way, somehow, or someone now needs to get all of this talent to produce, and do it on a consistent basis, over the course of an entire season.

• Upvote 1

100% agree. There are several excuses being thrown about by certain posters in an attemp to justify this program's current shortcomings. It is my opinion that North Dakota should be a top 3 Big Sky team EVERY year. I have been very pleased with the way the team has performed in Big Sky play in its first two years. They met my expectations in 2013 & 2014. But I am certainly not in awe of a 2nd & 3rd place finish in one of the 10 worst conferences in the country.

I think that Jones has done a wonderful job replenishing the roster after the massive turnover from a year ago. When I look at Hooker and Shanks, I see two future All Conference players.

Some way, somehow, or someone now needs to get all of this talent to produce, and do it on a consistent basis, over the course of an entire season.

One thing I would agree with is that the talent on this year's team, along with incoming recruits for next year, is very good for the Big Sky Conference; however, that's more of a result of the University and it's facilities rather than the coaching. Jones has shown he can gather DI talent, but the handling of that DI talent in game situations is questionable in my opinion. I think there are many DII coaches and DI assistants out there, with an even lesser salary than Jones, that could get more out of the players currently on the team. Jones has too many blow out losses during his tenure, including conference games (Weber State) and rival games (the last 3 road games vs. NDSU). It's admirable that UND has done well in conference the past two years, but that's despite of the coaching and much more of a result of the poor conference competition in the Big Sky Conference. When talking to people who have direct college basketball experience, I'm always told Jones is not an impressive coach by any means. UND deserves better, because yes UND is a hockey school first and football school second, but superb coaching is the one thing that could get UND men's basketball dancing.

One thing I would agree with is that the talent on this year's team, along with incoming recruits for next year, is very good for the Big Sky Conference; however, that's more of a result of the University and it's facilities rather than the coaching. Jones has shown he can gather DI talent, but the handling of that DI talent in game situations is questionable in my opinion. I think there are many DII coaches and DI assistants out there, with an even lesser salary than Jones, that could get more out of the players currently on the team. Jones has too many blow out losses during his tenure, including conference games (Weber State) and rival games (the last 3 road games vs. NDSU). It's admirable that UND has done well in conference the past two years, but that's despite of the coaching and much more of a result of the poor conference competition in the Big Sky Conference. When talking to people who have direct college basketball experience, I'm always told Jones is not an impressive coach by any means. UND deserves better, because yes UND is a hockey school first and football school second, but superb coaching is the one thing that could get UND men's basketball dancing.

Who are these people you speak with? Bad enough we are all anonymous on this board at the least we should credential our sources. Can't wait to hear.

Art - you will learn pretty quickly here that there are many that would rather share their knowledge of hiring and firing UND coaches on this board than talk about the team and the season - it's a never ending cycle depending on the season and what happened in the last game played.  

It's impressive that everything bad with the program is Jones' fault yet none of the good things are due to him.

Tick. Tick. Tick. Waiting on these sources.

Jones = Mussman

Seriously though, as has been stated before, it seems as though he is a decent recruiter but does not seem to have the head coaching skills. During timeouts you always see him standing away from the team looking at his whiteboard. Shay seems to do most of the coaching during timeouts, or at least that's what I have witnessed. I wouldn't mind hiring Ryan Moody. He seems to be doing well granted it's a D3 or NAIA school but everyone praised him as an assistant when he was here.

"Well this person (school) did it" is not a good argument.  It's not trying very hard. That's all you are basically saying. 

What's going on at NDSU athletics wise right now? One thing: Mens Basketball. What's going on at UND? They are not exactly the same school.

The two major differences between UND and NDSU are the number of sports we each sponsor and we each have one program that the other doesn't (we have hockey, they have wrestling).  Otherwise, we are very similar (same state, similar enrollment, both in one-bid conferences, same climatological challenges, same geographical challenges, etc.).  But if you want to continue to insist that UND is an apple and NDSU is an orange, by all means go ahead.  Or keep making analogies that have nothing to do with my basic point, because that is one of your strengths on this forum, isn't it? :silly:

• Upvote 1

The two major differences between UND and NDSU are the number of sports we each sponsor and we each have one program that the other doesn't (we have hockey, they have wrestling). Otherwise, we are very similar (same state, similar enrollment, both in one-bid conferences, same climatological challenges, same geographical challenges, etc.). But if you want to continue to insist that UND is an apple and NDSU is an orange, by all means go ahead. Or keep making analogies that have nothing to do with my basic point, because that is one of your strengths on this forum, isn't it? :silly:

NDSU goes to the dance (Orange), UND goes to the CIT (Apple). NDSU beats ranked opponents (Orange) UND loses to teams like TX-PA, Omaha, and Cal Poly (Apple). Orange killed the apple by 30 points this season. #keepJones, #buttCIT

• Upvote 1

NDSU goes to the dance (Orange), UND goes to the CIT (Apple). NDSU beats ranked opponents (Orange) UND loses to teams like TX-PA, Omaha, and Cal Poly (Apple). Orange killed the apple by 30 points this season. #keepJones, #buttCIT

Darrell, for you this is very clever. Impressed. #gerbschmidt

Or keep making analogies that have nothing to do with my basic point, because that is one of your strengths on this forum, isn't it? :silly:

You have one very simple point that takes nothing else into account.

Thats the problem.

Because they did it UND should be able to do it. Life or athletics aint that simple bud.

Did you miss the part.

"That said NDSU is the only school of the six that went to the NCAA tournament within the first 6 seasons. I believe North Dakota is the only other one that has made to a conference tournament title game within the first 6 seasons."

Fire jones cause ndsu is better than UND... Even though jones accomplished something USD or SDSU didnt?

Your point: NDSU does something UND should be able to do the same thing (or better). Plain and Simple. When do you think UND wins back to back to back to back FCS titles? Apples to Apples.

You have one very simple point that takes nothing else into account.

Thats the problem.

Because they did it UND should be able to do it. Life or athletics aint that simple bud.

Did you miss the part.

"That said NDSU is the only school of the six that went to the NCAA tournament within the first 6 seasons. I believe North Dakota is the only other one that has made to a conference tournament title game within the first 6 seasons."

Fire jones cause ndsu is better than UND... Even though jones accomplished something USD or SDSU didnt?

Your point: NDSU does something UND should be able to do the same thing (or better). Plain and Simple. When do you think UND wins back to back to back to back FCS titles? Apples to Apples.

Your last paragraph could be applied to all sports except hockey. When your rival does something (beat a ranked team, win a NC, etc) you want to do that and one up them. NDSU wins a FCS title UND should win an FCS title (4 May be stretching it, but one will do). NDSU goes to the dance, you want to go to the dance. Right now it's flipped for women's basketball UND went to the dance now they want to go to the dance. USD beat Minnesota in football is it wrong for wanting our school to beat an FBS team?

Out of the NCC 6, NDSU 2009, 2014; SDSU 2012, 2013, and UNC 2011 has made dance trips.