SiouxSports.com Forum

Coach Jones?

darell1976

I was more on the Fire Jones wagon a couple years ago then I am now.   With what we pay, we won't get anyone any better, and firing him just disrupts the team.   How many years does he have left on his contract?   It's sad to see how far we've come since the Dave Gunther days, but let's face it, the money isn't there.   It really isn't there for football either like is should be, and basketball is a lot lower on the pecking order.

I'll be the first to admit, outside of hockey, we basically suck at everything.    I watched the NDSU CC game on ESPN and wished we were at that level, then I saw the broadcast of the BB game against a mediocre NDSU team and was sick.    It all comes down to massive amounts of money, and until we commit a whole lot more, nothing will change.   Basketball team will be an embarrassment and the football team will miss the playoffs again next year.   That's just the way it is.   Yuck.

I was more on the Fire Jones wagon a couple years ago then I am now.   With what we pay, we won't get anyone any better, and firing him just disrupts the team.   How many years does he have left on his contract?   It's sad to see how far we've come since the Dave Gunther days, but let's face it, the money isn't there.   It really isn't there for football either like is should be, and basketball is a lot lower on the pecking order.

I'll be the first to admit, outside of hockey, we basically suck at everything.    I watched the NDSU CC game on ESPN and wished we were at that level, then I saw the broadcast of the BB game against a mediocre NDSU team and was sick.    It all comes down to massive amounts of money, and until we commit a whole lot more, nothing will change.   Basketball team will be an embarrassment and the football team will miss the playoffs again next year.   That's just the way it is.   Yuck.

I still don't understand why we are broke and destitute when it comes to collegiate athletics vs. NDSU.  We both have one revenue sport (MH for us, FB for them).  We both have similar enrollments, similar missions as universities, similar obstacles to overcome (climate, location), play in one-bid conferences for basketball (Big Sky for us, Summit for them), have winning traditions and have loyal and passionate fan bases that want nothing less than the best for their respective schools.  Whatever the problem is, it needs to be fixed.  But whenever people like myself bring it up, we are basically shouted down by the ducky and bunny crowd.  Which I think is a big part of the overall problem, aside from the hockey-only fans.  If enough of our fans are apathetic about being championship contenders, why should Faison and Kelley care all that much?

Shoot for the stars and you will more often than not achieve greatness.  Shoot for the dog house and that is where you will end up.

• Upvote 1

One of the big things is that UND offers 19 sports to NDSU's 14 (actually considered 21 and 16 since indoor and outdoor track are counted separately)

For sports that don't overlap:

UND has M/W Tennis, M/W Swimming & Diving, M/W Hockey.

NDSU has Wrestling

Men's hockey is a cash cow, so I don't think that can be listed as a detriment to the bottom line.

Women's hockey is a legitimate sport to bring up.

How much does tennis and swimming/diving cost to operate anyway?  I am guessing not as much as hockey, football or basketball.  I must ask the same question regarding wrestling at NDSU.

If we need to cut sports to help our higher profile sports get more funding, I am all for at least discussing it.  But I just don't know how much savings will be generated by doing that.

His current contract runs through the 2016-17 season and pays him $100,000 per year.

How about we start with not rewarding mediocre coaches with extensions and long-term contracts?

I didn't see Florida offer Will Muschamp or Michigan offer Brady Hoke extensions a year or two before canning them...

• Upvote 3

Fire Jones crowd must be high cause it ain't gonna happen! Thank goodness these jokers do not have any authority or college coaches would be getting fired every day of the season all over the USA.  Jones however will not get an extension unless he gets top 6 in Big Sky. 90% of the time when a team loses 5 of top 6 scores they take a nose dive .... and UND AD is sane enough to know that.  Nuts to think UND losing 5 of top 6 and predicted to finish 9th by every Objective preseason mag should finish top 4. Fact is UND has lost one game that Vegas (where money talks )had them favored . The also have one upset vs the money winning at Drake.  Facts!

• Upvote 1

Fire Jones crowd must be high cause it ain't gonna happen! Thank goodness these jokers do not have any authority or college coaches would be getting fired every day of the season all over the USA.  Jones however will not get an extension unless he gets top 6 in Big Sky. 90% of the time when a team loses 5 of top 6 scores they take a nose dive .... and UND AD is sane enough to know that.

And I suppose you think Mussman should still be in charge of football too?  We bought out Mussman thanks to some generous alumni.  I am thinking there would be more than a few basketball alums with deep pockets that might be willing to step up for their alma mater.

Please tell me what Jones has done over the last 9 years to justify keeping him around?  Has this program shown any signs of progress?  I say no.  What say you?

Fire Jones crowd must be high cause it ain't gonna happen! Thank goodness these jokers do not have any authority or college coaches would be getting fired every day of the season all over the USA.  Jones however will not get an extension unless he gets top 6 in Big Sky. 90% of the time when a team loses 5 of top 6 scores they take a nose dive .... and UND AD is sane enough to know that.  Nuts to think UND losing 5 of top 6 and predicted to finish 9th by every Objective preseason mag should finish top 4. Fact is UND has lost one game that Vegas (where money talks )had them favored . The also have one upset vs the money winning at Drake.  Facts!

So he should bring in a ton of transfers to try and right the ship.  That tells me he is looking to save his own ass in the short term and still have a job.  Because the team will be devoid of talent again in 2-3 years.

I still don't understand why we are broke and destitute when it comes to collegiate athletics vs. NDSU.  We both have one revenue sport (MH for us, FB for them).  We both have similar enrollments, similar missions as universities, similar obstacles to overcome (climate, location), play in one-bid conferences for basketball (Big Sky for us, Summit for them), have winning traditions and have loyal and passionate fan bases that want nothing less than the best for their respective schools.  Whatever the problem is, it needs to be fixed.  But whenever people like myself bring it up, we are basically shouted down by the ducky and bunny crowd.  Which I think is a big part of the overall problem, aside from the hockey-only fans.  If enough of our fans are apathetic about being championship contenders, why should Faison and Kelley care all that much?

Shoot for the stars and you will more often than not achieve greatness.  Shoot for the dog house and that is where you will end up.

For the most part you are correct.  The one big difference NDSU has over UND is they are in Fargo and not GF.  Fargo is a progressive town with lots of business and lots of people investing money into businesses there.  GF simply is not.  blame it on the%GOBC if you want or blame on the demographics of being a blue collar town.  I just hope GF and UND don't fall too far behind otherwise it could become a situation similar to U Idaho and Boise St.  

Also, NDSU understands how important a role that athletics can play promoting and growing their university.  UND on the other hand seems to not care too much...

And I suppose you think Mussman should still be in charge of football too? We bought out Mussman thanks to some generous alumni. I am thinking there would be more than a few basketball alums with deep pockets that might be willing to step up for their alma mater.

Please tell me what Jones has done over the last 9 years to justify keeping him around? Has this program shown any signs of progress? I say no. What say you?

What for? You gonna listen?

• Upvote 1

I was more on the Fire Jones wagon a couple years ago then I am now. With what we pay, we won't get anyone any better, and firing him just disrupts the team. How many years does he have left on his contract? It's sad to see how far we've come since the Dave Gunther days, but let's face it, the money isn't there. It really isn't there for football either like is should be, and basketball is a lot lower on the pecking order.

I'll be the first to admit, outside of hockey, we basically suck at everything. I watched the NDSU CC game on ESPN and wished we were at that level, then I saw the broadcast of the BB game against a mediocre NDSU team and was sick. It all comes down to massive amounts of money, and until we commit a whole lot more, nothing will change. Basketball team will be an embarrassment and the football team will miss the playoffs again next year. That's just the way it is. Yuck.

Football is on the rise, but as you stated, that's because Faison open up the pocket book and paid more for Bubba and his assistants (not entirely the AD, also alumni). UND football now certainly has a DI coaching staff capable of making the post season with better talent. Playoffs for UND football will be a reality in a year or two.

As for basketball, the increase in investment needs to happen. UND and Faison NEED to part ways with Jones and pay more for a better coach AND assistants. Also, facility improvements - namely a video board - need to occur. The athletic department is so incompetent at UND right now it's not even funny; NDSU blows UND out of the water when it comes to influencing alumni into financial support.

Fire Jones crowd must be high cause it ain't gonna happen! Thank goodness these jokers do not have any authority or college coaches would be getting fired every day of the season all over the USA. Jones however will not get an extension unless he gets top 6 in Big Sky. 90% of the time when a team loses 5 of top 6 scores they take a nose dive .... and UND AD is sane enough to know that. Nuts to think UND losing 5 of top 6 and predicted to finish 9th by every Objective preseason mag should finish top 4. Fact is UND has lost one game that Vegas (where money talks )had them favored . The also have one upset vs the money winning at Drake. Facts!

You want to stop acting stupid and actually have an intelligent conversation regarding this? NDSU has done far better than UND in men's basketball despite dealing with similar assets. The key issue is the lack of commitment by the athletic department: Jones is only paid 100K for a reason. UND needs higher demand coaches (increase salary) and more up-to-date improvements (video boards, higher bleachers) to the BESC.

Simply stating that this team lost a bunch of contributors is a moot point used to fool the casual fans. Anyone with awareness of collegiate basketball in the Dakotas knows UND basketball has very little support compared to NDSU, SDSU, and USD. Also, the on the court record has been poor the past few seasons under Jones when you look at OOC games, particularly on the road.

• Upvote 1

For the most part you are correct.  The one big difference NDSU has over UND is they are in Fargo and not GF.  Fargo is a progressive town with lots of business and lots of people investing money into businesses there.  GF simply is not.  blame it on the%GOBC if you want or blame on the demographics of being a blue collar town.  I just hope GF and UND don't fall too far behind otherwise it could become a situation similar to U Idaho and Boise St.  

Also, NDSU understands how important a role that athletics can play promoting and growing their university.  UND on the other hand seems to not care too much...

Unless the City of Fargo is appropriating money to NDSU from their general fund, I don't know what difference that should make.  Grand Forks and UND have a much closer and much more symbiotic relationship than Fargo does with NDSU.  Grand Forks businesses have always massively supported UND, as the campus is such a vital part of the vitality and sustainability of Grand Forks.  And GF is growing thanks to residual impacts of the western oil boom and the emerging UAS industry, so that should help both UND and GF.

I do agree with your second point however; the leadership simply isn't there at UND right now.  Once Kelley retires and Faison either steps up or ships out, we can start making progress around here.

Fire Jones for not finishing in top 4 this season is like someone saying Duke should fire Coach K if Duke fails to reach the final 4 Every year. Guess what folks UND is a mens hockey school that it everything else is an after thought. UND has no money for a great HC they have very little in state talent.  They have no video board. It is damn cold place to be . And recruits love 20 below weather and playing for a school where hockey is the king sport and basketball is just another pawn sport.

Leave the Gobc outta this

Someone is going to have to pay the bill

You and your precious GOBC minions like to brag about how much power and wealth and influence you have over UND and Grand Forks, so don't tell us to "leave the GOBC outta this".  Put up or shut up.  My guess is it will be the latter because the former never has been and never will be true.  Correct?

• Upvote 2

Fire Jones for not finishing in top 4 this season is like someone saying Duke should fire Coach K if Duke fails to reach the final 4 Every year. Guess what folks UND is a mens hockey school that it everything else is an after thought. UND has no money for a great HC they have very little in state talent. They have no video board. It is damn cold place to be . And recruits love 20 below weather and playing for a school where hockey is the king sport and basketball is just another pawn sport.

First off, Coach K doesn't lose every road OOC game. If he did, he would be canned. Secondly, everyone is saying that there needs to be more of an investment in basketball, thus greater coaching salary and improvements to the BESC. Faison and the athletic department are an issue because there certainly are alumni for both football and basketball out there that could contribute big time, but the AD is too busy focusing on hockey to consider such a venture. New leadership and new direction is needed for UND at the top.

• Upvote 2

Fire Jones for not finishing in top 4 this season is like someone saying Duke should fire Coach K if Duke fails to reach the final 4 Every year. Guess what folks UND is a mens hockey school that it everything else is an after thought. UND has no money for a great HC they have very little in state talent.  They have no video board. It is damn cold place to be . And recruits love 20 below weather and playing for a school where hockey is the king sport and basketball is just another pawn sport.

It isn't just about this season, it's about the whole body of work, which to be honest is mediocre at best.  And basketball isn't #1 at NDSU either, so don't throw out that tired old excuse.  Cold weather?  Same problem in Fargo, but that doesn't stop them from making the NCAA tournament twice (including in their first season of eligibility).  And if we are just willing to accept that all non-hockey sports are and will continue to be afterthoughts, we should have stayed in D-II.  But we didn't, so we better figure this thing out.  You are ready to throw in the towel, I am not.  And if Kelley and Faison are willing to throw in the towel, we might need changes in those positions as well.

I am through being patient and waiting for the "transition" and "nickname" hangovers to pass.  It's put up or shut up time and I for one hope we put up.

• Upvote 1