SiouxSports.com Forum

2017 Early Two-Deep Depth Chart

AJS

This is based off the Playoff edition game notes. Seniors as well as any duplicates (couple OL that were backing up more than one position) were removed, so nobody is on twice. The only change I made was put Stockwell in at starting LT, since he was not listed on that 2 deep and did start at that position for that game.

2016 was such a successful campaign which brought UND a 9-2 record, Co Big Sky Championship and #7 Seed. Looking it at objectively, I think they were a little overrated. They won games yes, but some in dramatic come back fashion and others by closer margins than they should have. They had major depth issues and injuries piled up. I still think they were a sure fire Top 15 team, which is why next year should be their best year by far at the FCS level.

I don't ever remember so many players on the 2 deep returning. Off the list below, they need to fill 5 spots Offensively and 6 Defensively.  What needs to happen for this team to be a Top 5 team next year? Who will be filling the vacancies?

Offense.PNG

Defense.PNG

4 minutes ago, The Sicatoka said:

What was posted shows five returning starters on the offensive line. That's a start. ;)

Now, tell me about the front seven of the defense. The LB losses concern me. 

LB depth does concern me as well but I was very encouraged with Rodgers play this season. He will be a good one but depth behind him and O'Brian will be important.

Solid transfers at OL and CB would also be welcomed in my mind.

This was posted in the other 2017 thread, but is relevant in this one as well. http://millersports.areavoices.com/2016/12/05/und-football-what-returns-in-2017/

"There are some strong reports on the redshirting freshmen hogs, especially guard Ryan Tobin, tackle Noah Mortel and center/guard Nathan Nguon" 

We'll be following closely how these three develop over the Spring and Summer into Fall ball. Hopefully all three can push the starters and add quality depth. 

Miller wrote about the 4 biggest needs being OL, LB, Safety (Arnell redshirt being a big ?) and back up QB. It appears this might be the first year since Bubba has been here that unless a true freshman is too good not to play, that there won't be a need to burn multiple red shirts, because of depth issues. This is where UND wants to be at. 

1 hour ago, AJS said:

... unless a true freshman is too good not to play, that there won't be a need to burn multiple red shirts, because of depth issues. This is where UND wants to be at. 

That would be a huge step for the program. 

If a true freshman plays let it be because you want to put him on the field because he will succeed, not because you have to because there are no other options. 

19 minutes ago, shep said:

Miller's column notably omits ANY of the returning OL's as likely starters except D Taylor. He misses that most are coming back and I'd guess Rooney, Aplin, Miller, Stockwell and Blair will be in some of the spots.

I think he was more getting at the competition for starting spots will be fierce in the Spring and Fall with Tobin, Mortel and Nguon all ready to compete for starting sports with the starters from last year. This is great news if the young guys can push starters for a spot in the starting lineup. The offensive line improved immensely throughout the year and with four starters returning (6 starting at least a game), plus 3 more pushing for starting spots, we will be in a very good place with the OL next year.  Having a true 2-deep with possible little drop off from starters to back ups for the first time.

• Upvote 1

4 minutes ago, AJS said:

I think he was more getting at the competition for starting spots will be fierce in the Spring and Fall with Tobin, Mortel and Nguon all ready to compete for starting sports with the starters from last year. This is great news if the young guys can push starters for a spot in the starting lineup. The offensive line improved immensely throughout the year and with four starters returning (6 starting at least a game), plus 3 more pushing for starting spots, we will be in a very good place with the OL next year.  Having a true 2-deep for the first time with possible little drop off for the first time. 

Ok...he means that Taylor is the only certain starter, right? I would say Stockwell, when healthy, is a lock too.

1 minute ago, shep said:

Ok...he means that Taylor is the only certain starter, right? I would say Stockwell, when healthy, is a lock too.

Correct, but I'd agree Stockwell is a lock too on the left side. That would really say something about one of the freshman if they could beat Stockwell out as starting LT. 

I'll ask again:

How good is the QB (Brock Boltmann) that is coming this fall?

He is 6'1" and 190. His father is his HS FB coach. I foresee this HS dual threat QB at Studsrud 2.0. 

Do we trust that Heidelbaugh will develop enough to cover the transition? 

37 minutes ago, The Sicatoka said:

I'll ask again:

How good is the QB (Brock Boltmann) that is coming this fall?

He is 6'1" and 190. His father is his HS FB coach. I foresee this HS dual threat QB at Studsrud 2.0. 

I was talking to a Minnesota recruiting guy and I asked if Boltmann was comparable to Studsrud, and he said that was a very good comparison.  So I'd say maybe he'll be ready to run the squad when Studs is gone.  Would love to see Heidelbaugh develop, though.

13 hours ago, shep said:

Miller's column notably omits ANY of the returning OL's as likely starters except D Taylor. He misses that most are coming back and I'd guess Rooney, Aplin, Miller, Stockwell and Blair will be in some of the spots.

Cox will return from injury as well. He started the first few games at RT this year before getting hurt.I think next year it looks like this:

LT: Stockwell is a lock to start. I thought he had a good year, especially in pass protection which is vital from this spot. If he is healthy, he will be on the all-conference team next year.

LG: Bell returns but I think he had a very average season. It's possible someone beats him out here (Aplin? Tobin?)

C: I think Rooney is the future here. He looked very good in the short time he played before getting hurt. Aplin started at the end of the year as well and did a decent job. One of them will win the job.

RG: Taylor is a lock. He improved immensely from about week three on. First team all-conference next year.

RT: This is up in the air. Cox was the starter before getting hurt but I thought he was just average. Blair did a nice job after Stockwell went down considering how undersized he is. I like his footwork and desire. If he can add 25 pounds and maintain his footwork he might be the LT of the future. If Mortel is as good as advertised then maybe he is in play here.

14 hours ago, Hambone said:

I was talking to a Minnesota recruiting guy and I asked if Boltmann was comparable to Studsrud, and he said that was a very good comparison.  So I'd say maybe he'll be ready to run the squad when Studs is gone.  Would love to see Heidelbaugh develop, though.

I watched Boltmann play once this year and thought he is comparable to Studsrud also.   Very similar style.  I thought Boltmann threw the ball well for a HS player

15 hours ago, The Sicatoka said:

Having seen Heidelbaugh a few times this past year (practice and games) he will need a lot of development in my opinion. Slow, long release. Arm strength isn't great. I need to see a lot of improvement before I'll be convinced.

1 hour ago, Siouxperman8 said:

I watched Boltmann play once this year and thought he is comparable to Studsrud also.   Very similar style.  I thought Boltmann threw the ball well for a HS player

Agreed that they are comparable.  I saw them both play in high school, too.  At the same points in their careers Keaton is the superior runner and Boltmann is the superior passer.  Given that a QB's main job is passing I would put Boltmann ahead of Keaton following their senior seasons in high school.