SiouxSports.com Forum

Travel to Northen Colorado

nodak651

With airfare so cheap into Denver (from Minneapolis), I am thinking about heading to the Northern Colorado game out in Greeley.  Has anyone done this?  UNC seems decent this year and I think the game could be exciting, but I'm kind of turned off by the stadium and atmosphere there.  I would end up staying overnight in Denver.  Does anyone have any pointers on visiting a game in Greeley?  Is there a decent UND turnout there?  Anything I should expect?

On Friday night stay in the LODO area (Dowtown area around Coors Field) and go to a bar called Jacksons. They stream every UND hockey game. Get up early and drive up to Greeley which is about an hour drive from DT. Then find my tailgate and enjoy some beverages and food. 

2 hours ago, UNDColorado said:

On Friday night stay in the LODO area (Dowtown area around Coors Field) and go to a bar called Jacksons. They stream every UND hockey game. Get up early and drive up to Greeley which is about an hour drive from DT. Then find my tailgate and enjoy some beverages and food. 

I'll be there as well.  Usually a decent number of UND fans.  I highly recommend going to WeldWerks Brewery.  It's owned by a friend of a friend and he does a great job.  We usually stay in Fort Collins the night of the game as there are more options for things to do than Greeley.

16 minutes ago, southpaw said:

I'll be there as well.  Usually a decent number of UND fans.  I highly recommend going to WeldWerks Brewery.  It's owned by a friend of a friend and he does a great job.  We usually stay in Fort Collins the night of the game as there are more options for things to do than Greeley.

Excellent! I will be in Ft. Collins the night before for the exact same reasons. Likely do a little brewery tour...because why not. Then set up a tailgate the next morning.

3 hours ago, UNDColorado said:

Thanks!  Good to know about the viewing party, as I think we will be within walking distance (staying at Renaissance Denver).  They have a viewing party Saturday night also, I'm guessing?  Planning on saving the hotel money Friday night to go to the game in person, and will fly out Saturday morning.  If we make it to the game early enough I will stop by.

22 minutes ago, southpaw said:

Glad to hear!  Will check it out after the game.

42 minutes ago, southpaw said:

I should tell you that since I will be up in Nodak the last week and a half of october, I will be bringing back plenty of Premium Grainbelt...if you stop by my tailgate I hope you like Grainbelt!

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, WiSioux said:

As a new Coloradan is it feasible to think I can go to the football game in Greeley and be back to LODO in time for the hockey viewing party? With a quick stop in eastern Aurora to let my dog out?

Game is at 1:05 so I would say yes. You might cut it close but I would give it the ol college try.

3 minutes ago, WiSioux said:

Do you guys have tickets already? I ha e been slacking in my planning. Mainly because my roommate and friend are highly indecisive.

Not yet, mainly because they dont sell out but was going to message my friends in Ft. Collins to get them this week to be safe.

2 hours ago, WiSioux said:

As a new Coloradan is it feasible to think I can go to the football game in Greeley and be back to LODO in time for the hockey viewing party? With a quick stop in eastern Aurora to let my dog out?

Correction- game is at 12:05 MTN...you can definitely make both since hockey would be at 6 MTN.

• Upvote 1

Have been thinking about making the trip. Would be staying in my camper (heated) at Boyd Lake State Park by Loveland so if there is some sort of alumni gathering in Ft Collins I would be interested

Tickets are easy to come by.  In the past, most UND fans sat on the home team side, in sections E & F.  One year, we just posted up in the front of the student section right behind the UND bench.  

There really aren't a lot of great options in Greeley.  Some chain restaurant/bars, WeldWerks brewery and some good mexican food.  Fort Collins is a million times better.  

UNDColorado, what can we look for at your tailgate?  Big flag, etc?  We will likely be there around 9 so we can get a good start on tailgating.  

19 minutes ago, southpaw said:

Tickets are easy to come by.  In the past, most UND fans sat on the home team side, in sections E & F.  One year, we just posted up in the front of the student section right behind the UND bench.  

There really aren't a lot of great options in Greeley.  Some chain restaurant/bars, WeldWerks brewery and some good mexican food.  Fort Collins is a million times better.  

UNDColorado, what can we look for at your tailgate?  Big flag, etc?  We will likely be there around 9 so we can get a good start on tailgating.  

Likely driving dark blue 4Runner with a large green Fighting Sioux flag. Goal is to get set up before 9 as well to get a good start. Still deciding on food but will have plenty going on the grill. Of course a full cooler of beverages. 

If i recall correctly they do sell beer in the stadium so that is always fun.

Also- last time i was there I sat in E or F as well.

18 hours ago, TBR said:

Have been thinking about making the trip. Would be staying in my camper (heated) at Boyd Lake State Park by Loveland so if there is some sort of alumni gathering in Ft Collins I would be interested

Nothing official but I am sure a few of us will be roaming around Ft. Collins on Friday night and Saturday after the game. Regardless, stop by the tailgate!

I've made my reservations for Boyd Lake State Park campground. I am going to assume that there is no real need to buy tickets in advance of the game. Please advise otherwise (anyone) if my assumption is incorrect.