2016 - 2017 NHL Season

• Replies 312
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

4 minutes ago, MafiaMan said:

Totally agree.  A novelty for a while, but the NHL hypes it more than The Stanley Cup Finals.  

and what the hell is IIHF thinking in having the US/Canada play an outdoor game at the World Junior tourney next year. That game doesn't need gimmicks.

• Upvote 2

On ‎1‎/‎2‎/‎2017 at 3:54 PM, iluvdebbies said:

....or just eliminate the game all together.

I'm sick of the Blackhawks playing outdoor every year, too, but I have to admit I had an absolute blast at the Wild outdoor game and would go back for another one in a heartbeat.  Wild games at the X are fun, but this was way over the top!  The entire weekend was fun - from not being able to get into Tom Reid's on Friday night because it was closed for a private party (sounds odd, but the players we saw in there...), to the alumni game, to the final buzzer with the Wild beating Chicago.  Admittedly, we had great weather for it, unlike St. Louis. 

1 hour ago, sioux rube said:

This Pens/Caps game is nuts. Caps up 2-0 after 1 and it is now 6-5 Pens and still in the second. 8 goals in the second and it isn't over yet.

Scoring (in order):

(first period)
WAS Burakovsky 1-0
WAS Backstrom 2-0
WAS Williams 3-0
(second period)
PIT Malkin 3-1
PIT Sheary 3-2
PIT Bonino 3-3
PIT Rust 3-4
PIT Malkin 3-5
WAS Connolly 4-5
WAS Eller 5-5
PIT Malkin 5-6
(third period)
PIT Crosby 5-7
WAS Oshie 6-7
WAS Eller 7-7
(overtime)
PIT Sheary 7-8

Game Summary? Defense optional. 

https://www.nhl.com/gamecenter/wsh-vs-pit/2017/01/16/2016020661/recap/box-score#game=2016020661,game_state=final,lock_state=final,game_tab=stats

9 hours ago, DaveK said:

I'm happy that my favorite team won, but that was an embarrassing display of goaltending. Can they please pull the plug on the Murray experiment already? The kid is an AHL caliber goalie, send him back down or at the very least keep him on the bench where he belongs. People can say what they will about Fleury. Yeah, he had a brutal 2nd/3rd period in Detroit this past Saturday. Yeah, he suffered through an uncharacteristic slump back in November. Yeah, he was the starting goalie for Penguin teams that lost in the playoffs in each season from 2009-10 through 2014-15. But at the end the day he is on pace to enter the NHL's all-time top five leaders in wins at some point within the next few years, so he must be doing something right.

OK...I'll bite.  You're really reaching here to save face on your Marc-Andre Fleury love-fest.  I could really care less, but let's take a look at the numbers:

This year:

Fleury in 27 GP has a .904 save percentage and a 3.23 GAA

Murray in 21 GP has a .916 save percentage and a 2.53 GAA

Career:

Fleury has a .912 save percentage and a 2.58 GAA

Murray has a .921 save percentage and a 2.32 GAA

By the age of 22 (which Murray is now).  This would have been Fleury's first 3 season with Pitt (Murray's 2nd):

Fleury has a 900 save percentage and a 3.24 GAA

Murray (same as Career numbers above) has a Murray has a .921 save percentage and a 2.32 GAA

Playoffs:

Fleury has a .906 save percentage and a 2.66 GAA

Murray has a .911 save percentage and a 2.08 GAA

Stanley Cups:

Fleury has 2 (one with Murray as the starter) and won his first one at the age of 24

Murray has 1 which was won at the age of 21

After the tale of the tape here, I don't know Dave.  You can have your favorite goalie out of the two for your own reasons - there's nothing wrong with that, but to say they need to end the "Murray experiment" and that he's an AHL caliber goalie, etc. is a bit crazy, even by your standards - and that's saying something!

• Upvote 4

10 hours ago, DaveK said:

I'm happy that my favorite team won, but that was an embarrassing display of goaltending. Can they please pull the plug on the Murray experiment already? The kid is an AHL caliber goalie, send him back down or at the very least keep him on the bench where he belongs. People can say what they will about Fleury. Yeah, he had a brutal 2nd/3rd period in Detroit this past Saturday. Yeah, he suffered through an uncharacteristic slump back in November. Yeah, he was the starting goalie for Penguin teams that lost in the playoffs in each season from 2009-10 through 2014-15. But at the end the day he is on pace to enter the NHL's all-time top five leaders in wins at some point within the next few years, so he must be doing something right.

:lol:

Yeah, send the goalie with the better stats down to the AHL!
Get rid of the 22 year old goalie on the rise who has outperformed the 32 year old goalie the last two seasons! Brilliant.

Fleury currently sits at 370 wins, meaning he needs a minimum of 80 more wins to get into the top 5, and that includes passing Luongo and Lundqvist, who are going to keep adding to their totals and he has Ryan Miller nipping at his heels. Just because he won a lot when he was younger, doesn't mean he'll keep doing it.

• Upvote 2

8 minutes ago, cberkas said:

Is Murray protected by the Pens or is Fleury? If Murray isn't protected by the end or the year he'll be in Vegas, but I have heard that Fleury is going to be in Vegas next year.

Here where, if my understanding is correct, Pittsburgh may be screwed.  Fleury has a Modified No Trade Clause, which I think means they have to protect him.  If so, since he's a protected goalie I don't believe they'd be able to protect 2 goales.  Unless Murray falls under this category:

* All first- and second-year professionals, as well as all unsigned draft choices, will be exempt from selection (and will not be counted toward their club's applicable protection limits).

This is a GREAT read, if you're looking to understand the upcoming expansion draft - Rules for 2017 Expansion Draft.  This upcoming June 17 - 20 when teams have to submit their lists and the Vegas franchise chooses their players is going to be fantastic to watch this all unfold!  If someone can figure out a way to do some kind of Fantasy game where we can project who the Vegas team will take I'd be in!  I'm not sure what that would look like or how you'd do it, especially since there will be such a short timeframe from when teams submit their lists and when Vegas chooses their players.  But this would be fun!

• Upvote 1

6 minutes ago, Ray77 said:

Here where, if my understanding is correct, Pittsburgh may be screwed.  Fleury has a Modified No Trade Clause, which I think means they have to protect him.  If so, since he's a protected goalie I don't believe they'd be able to protect 2 goales.  Unless Murray falls under this category:

* All first- and second-year professionals, as well as all unsigned draft choices, will be exempt from selection (and will not be counted toward their club's applicable protection limits).

This is a GREAT read, if you're looking to understand the upcoming expansion draft - Rules for 2017 Expansion Draft.  This upcoming June 17 - 20 when teams have to submit their lists and the Vegas franchise chooses their players is going to be fantastic to watch this all unfold!  If someone can figure out a way to do some kind of Fantasy game where we can project who the Vegas team will take I'd be in!  I'm not sure what that would look like or how you'd do it, especially since there will be such a short timeframe from when teams submit their lists and when Vegas chooses their players.  But this would be fun!

Canadians signed Montoya to protect Price for the draft, I don't see Montoya getting picked by Vegas. Once you see what teams are doing to protect their goalies, that will tell who Vegas will be targeting.

Do AHL players count or do they have to be on the NHL team? I read the rules as they have to be on the NHL roster.

24 minutes ago, cberkas said:

Canadians signed Montoya to protect Price for the draft, I don't see Montoya getting picked by Vegas. Once you see what teams are doing to protect their goalies, that will tell who Vegas will be targeting.

Do AHL players count or do they have to be on the NHL team? I read the rules as they have to be on the NHL roster.

This is a great discussion!  Here is how I understand it (and certainly could be wrong about some of this).  Vegas has to take 1 player from each team and must take at least 14 forwards, 9 defensemen and 3 goaltenders.  At least 20 of these players must be under contract for the 2017-18 season.  With their picks, they have to get to at least 60% of the Salary Cap. 

Players that are not eligible to be taken by Vegas are players who are first and second-year professionals, as well as all unsigned draft choices. By my understanding, AHL players under contract would be eligible to be taken, however due to the rules I think it's pretty slim chance that Vegas would take a player from the AHL.

32 minutes ago, cberkas said:

I agree with you.  To add to this, Price has a no trade clause, which means he's automatically protected, and each team gets to protect 1 goalie anyways, so there is no chance that Price would be left for Vegas to poach him, whether or not they signed Montoya or not.

2 minutes ago, Ray77 said:

I agree with you.  To add to this, Price has a no trade clause, which means he's automatically protected, and each team gets to protect 1 goalie anyways, so there is no chance that Price would be left for Vegas to poach him, whether or not they signed Montoya or not.

The Canadians would be penalized if they don't have a goalie available, Lindgren is safe so get a goalie to be safe then sorry.