SiouxSports.com Forum

Does the hockey buzz help football recruiting or hurt it

Momster

2 hours ago, Gothmog said:

That seems logical, However, this championship could actually harm football recruiting in the long run, if it simply adds to the growing perception that hockey is the only sport that matters at UND and all other sports, especially football, are second-class.  

Or as Momster posted.....who has a kid in the recruiting process and knows some other kids that are considering UND ..........said the kids were more interested in UND after the hockey teams run through the playoffs and championship, they liked the excitement surrounding it.  The excitement does not directly pertain to football, but it can feed off of it. 

• Upvote 2

2 hours ago, Gothmog said:

That seems logical, However, this championship could actually harm football recruiting in the long run, if it simply adds to the growing perception that hockey is the only sport that matters at UND and all other sports, especially football, are second-class.  

Using this logic, MBB at NDSU should struggle as well because of the the presence of FB as the flagship sport on campus. But that isn't true, is it?

• Upvote 1

54 minutes ago, fightingsioux4life said:

Using this logic, MBB at NDSU should struggle as well because of the the presence of FB as the flagship sport on campus. But that isn't true, is it?

Agreed.

In my opinion, NDSU Basketball, in fact, has struggled for exactly those reasons. That has been moderated somewhat due to the program's recent success in the NCAA tournament. Nevertheless, it remains a second-class sport at NDSU, which is a shame.

Any (potential) student or athlete would be a little more proud to be from the university that has a national championship winning program. 

I'm sure Santiago hates going to the cities and bragging to his buddies about the championship his schools hockey team just won. 

I believe this national championship in hockey marks the beginning of a new Golden Age of UND athletics. FB will soon be challenging for conference and national titles, WBB will get back to the NCAA tournament, WH will get over the hump and start making appearances in the Women's Frozen Four and MH will continue doing what they are doing right now. As for MBB, if Jones doesn't take us to the top of the Big Sky Conference, then we'll find someone that will.

I could be wrong about all this, but it is amazing what hanging #8 can do for confidence and expectations. And I think that is a rising tide that will lift all boats.

• Upvote 2

12 hours ago, fightingsioux4life said:

I believe this national championship in hockey marks the beginning of a new Golden Age of UND athletics. FB will soon be challenging for conference and national titles, WBB will get back to the NCAA tournament, WH will get over the hump and start making appearances in the Women's Frozen Four and MH will continue doing what they are doing right now. As for MBB, if Jones doesn't take us to the top of the Big Sky Conference, then we'll find someone that will.

I could be wrong about all this, but it is amazing what hanging #8 can do for confidence and expectations. And I think that is a rising tide that will lift all boats.

Interesting point. Perhaps we should look to history to predict the future; what happened to UND athletics shortly after the 1997 men's hockey national championship? 

2 minutes ago, Momster said:

What I will say having just gotten home after being up there all weekend starting Friday through today is every hotel was filled with hockey people, every restaurant, every conversation this weekend had hockey, every gas station attendant talked hockey and even the cute old guy sitting next to us at the Performance Center talked hockey which is totally cool.  It is part of the town identity and one the school and town can build off of and if you are committed to the area and plan on going to the school it is a huge point of pride that brings a tremendous amount to the local economy and a big part of why the sports facilities are so amazing.  LOVED the time up there and what a great town.

The city is holding an international hockey tournament for more than a week, so that added to the hockey atmosphere for the weekend. It is one of the biggest international tournaments held each year and only the 2nd time it has been held in the United States.

2 hours ago, SiouxVolley said:

Actually the women's bball team kicked off a series of chanpionships culminating with a football one.

Correct 

there's buzz building around the football team again (and obviously men's hockey) and we may see another spurt like the late 90s

• Upvote 3

6 hours ago, UND-FB-FAN said:

Correct 

there's buzz building around the football team again (and obviously men's hockey) and we may see another spurt like the late 90s

I hope so, it would be great to have 2 teams in the dance, football in the playoffs and hockey in the playoffs, add volleyball to the playoffs and you have a huge amount of buzz that would be great for any UND fan out there. 1997-2003 was a time for championships in 3 sports not to mention conference dominations over rivals both in-state and in neighboring states. I hope we can get up to that level again...or close to it. Let's be the talk of ND in all sports not just hockey.

• Upvote 3

I don't know how a successful hockey team impacts the fan support of football - except that success in one sport creates a positive feeling about the university and its athletics that all sports may benefit from in the short term.

From a recruit's angle, most of the recruits are from the upper Midwest and I think many of them have at least a passing interest in hockey. So it should help  that the recruits know there's something big going on in Grand Forks during the offseason.  All-in-all I'd say it's a net-positive or neutral. Certainly not a negative.

• Upvote 2