SiouxSports.com Forum

Does the hockey buzz help football recruiting or hurt it

Momster

4 hours ago, 77iceman said:

In my world, whatever the hockey program is doing doesn't effect my football goggles.  I'm a football fan . . . and the fact that hockey is doing well only helps get the UND name out there.  I would think that any kid playing football would focus more on what the football program is doing and that's about it.

I think many of the kids who were at my house over the weekend have said they were on the fence about UND until the play offs started in Hockey and the new facilities investment that all of the kids have access to (and I am guessing came in part because of hockey notoriety).  Momentum and marketing are a big deal--I hope the school is majorly capitalizing on it.  The idea of playing football for a school on the upswing and having access to a town celebrating hockey and supporting the school in the off season was WAY appealing to many of the football players we know considering UND and hopefully being considered by UND.  I think Bubba's interview was GREAT!  Thanks for posting UND-FB-Fan.  What an exciting thing to have happen for the community.  I hope they go all out this weekend and celebrate for a long time.

• Upvote 2

34 minutes ago, Momster said:

The idea of playing football for a school on the upswing and having access to a town celebrating hockey and supporting the school in the off season was WAY appealing to many of the football players we know considering UND and hopefully being considered by UND. 

Historically, football recruiting weekends have included attendance at a hockey game when the team is at home. They are usually seated in the section next to mine, so I can see them along with the coaches. I think one of the purposes is to show recruits a slice of college life at UND, along with the athletics side.  It is a great way to answer the age-old question of "what's there to do here?".  Sure, not everyone follows hockey, but seeing a few thousand people having a great time and cheering on fellow athletes is a pretty amazing sight. 

• Upvote 4

8 minutes ago, siouxjoy said:

Historically, football recruiting weekends have included attendance at a hockey game when the team is at home. They are usually seated in the section next to mine, so I can see them along with the coaches. I think one of the purposes is to show recruits a slice of college life at UND, along with the athletics side.  It is a great way to answer the age-old question of "what's there to do here?".  Sure, not everyone follows hockey, but seeing a few thousand people having a great time and cheering on fellow athletes is a pretty amazing sight. 

5 hours ago, Ozzie82 said:

The original question was does the hockey team's success help or hurt football recruiting. 

I don't think there is a clear answer... I'd say that it depends on the individual and what they are looking for in a program. I've talked to athletes on both sides of the coin on this issue. 

As far as the football program, how insecure would you/me/UND Football have to be to think the success of another program at the same school negatively affects football?  From Bubba's comments, he nailed it!  Use and build off the success of a National Title at your school, emulate it, strive for it.  Football success on the field and in the community will carry it's weight, along with the new facilities.

• Upvote 4

7 minutes ago, Momster said:

Funny enough, the crowd was chanting Fighting Sioux Forever and Let's go Sioux! I think that poor marketing team has a challenge on their hands ha-ha!  I hope they all partied safe.  I also think they need to hire Josh D (Fergie's actor husband) as a marketing spokes person guy.  He seems to be a HUGE UND fan.   The Vid almost makes me want to be 25 years younger and in college again (nope-not really).

14 minutes ago, siouxjoy said:

Good point, football totally recruits to hockey weekends........

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, gundy1124 said:

As far as the football program, how insecure would you/me/UND Football have to be to think the success of another program at the same school negatively affects football?  From Bubba's comments, he nailed it!  Use and build off the success of a National Title at your school, emulate it, strive for it.  Football success on the field and in the community will carry it's weight, along with the new facilities.

I don't think I was intending to say anything touching on insecurity -- I was much more interested in the thought processes around if there was a student athlete who is looking at a college for football and how would they look at this?  It is a real thing good or bad which is why I asked for the pros/cons.  Say, a start athlete who plays football has a choice between a college that is known for hockey but has a football team with a so-so history and a college who is known for football but has other sports like hockey which aren't as celebrated or perhaps doesn't have the winning history.  Which one would they choose and why? (and I realize lots of other factors are involved in this).  I saw it as an awesome thing to be able to play football for a team on the upswing that already had existing successful programs vs already being there (IE: I have something to prove and am part of rebuilding) vs a school who already was there and had to defend the target.   Just a thought process...nothing more.

3 minutes ago, Momster said:

I don't think I was intending to say anything touching on insecurity -- I was much more interested in the thought processes around if there was a student athlete who is looking at a college for football and how would they look at this?  It is a real thing good or bad which is why I asked for the pros/cons.  Say, a start athlete who plays football has a choice between a college that is known for hockey but has a football team with a so-so history and a college who is known for football but has other sports like hockey which aren't as celebrated or perhaps doesn't have the winning history.  Which one would they choose and why? (and I realize lots of other factors are involved in this).  I saw it as an awesome thing to be able to play football for a team on the upswing that already had existing successful programs vs already being there (IE: I have something to prove and am part of rebuilding) vs a school who already was there and had to defend the target.   Just a thought process...nothing more.

The hockey programs success should be a tasty little morsel on the side, but probably should have little to do with ones decision to play football at UND.  I think UND football history and support is a 'tad' better than so-so.  We transitioned, fell flat with a coach, and are correcting it.  I think a so-so program would have been satisfied to remain so-so.

• Upvote 2

5 minutes ago, gundy1124 said:

The hockey programs success should be a tasty little morsel on the side, but probably should have little to do with ones decision to play football at UND.  I think UND football history and support is a 'tad' better than so-so.  We transitioned, fell flat with a coach, and are correcting it.  I think a so-so program would have been satisfied to remain so-so.

"cough"  Northern Colorado  "cough"

• Upvote 2

1 minute ago, gundy1124 said:

Point taken--but also if you look at the last several years--most would describe it as several years of so - so seasons--but on the upswing. Which is also why I was saying for some facing the choice--they might like being part of a program on the upswing and that might be more important to be a building block to that success vs being a part of a program who was there already.  It is all about what appeals to the person and their motivations. 

17 minutes ago, Momster said:

Point taken--but also if you look at the last several years--most would describe it as several years of so - so seasons--but on the upswing. Which is also why I was saying for some facing the choice--they might like being part of a program on the upswing and that might be more important to be a building block to that success vs being a part of a program who was there already.  It is all about what appeals to the person and their motivations. 

Here's to upswings!!

1 hour ago, Momster said:

There is definitely something to be said for wanting to be part of a turn around, especially if you think it will actually happen.  Every program on the bottom wants to turn it around but obviously not all do.  We have made that turn around before and am very confident we will make it again and we already have a good start at it.....but have a ways to go.  It's kind of like taking a job at a smaller company to be part of building something instead of taking the more glamorous job at GM.  It can be appealing......I know it was appealing to me when I took my job. 

• Upvote 1

20 hours ago, Sioux94 said:

It's not like we are Duke or maybe Kansas football programs, they've probably had some good years but are probably thought of as average or below average football programs if you look at the past 50 years.  UND has a pretty good past 50 years in football overall, even though we've had a couple of rough patches.  We actually have a better head to head record against NDSU, it's not like Kansas has a better overall record against Oklahoma the past 50 years.  (And for you NDSU trolls I'm just stating a fact to prove a point in bringing up the head to head, no need to reply on here now telling us how much better you are than us) 

Just to correct the record, UND does not have a better head-to-head football record against NDSU over the last 50 years. The record since 0ct 22, 1966 stands at 25-16 in favor of NDSU.

1 hour ago, Gothmog said:

Just to correct the record, UND does not have a better head-to-head football record against NDSU over the last 50 years. The record since 0ct 22, 1966 stands at 25-16 in favor of NDSU.

lol oh man I knew that would bring an NDSU troll out.    I should have stated the last 50 times we played, my bad.....sorry I did not check the specific details as I was making a general point.  So the past 50 times we've played the series is tied 25-25 actually, so we don't have a lead during that time period.   But given NDSU is the best football team in the Universe that's not bad.  Or I could have chosen to say the last 70 years when it was UND 32 - 28 or state more recent head to head and say the last 14 times UND - NDSU played UND is 10-4.   Kansas has an all time record of 27-6-73 against OU.   Thank you for your obsession with UND however and following blogs daily on Siouxsports that have nothing to do with NDSU.  

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, Sioux94 said:

lol oh man I knew that would bring an NDSU troll out.    I should have stated the last 50 times we played, my bad.....sorry I did not check the specific details as I was making a general point.  So the past 50 times we've played the series is tied 25-25 actually, so we don't have a lead during that time period.   But given NDSU is the best football team in the Universe that's not bad.  Or I could have chosen to say the last 70 years when it was UND 32 - 28 or state more recent head to head and say the last 14 times UND - NDSU played UND is 10-4.   Kansas has an all time record of 27-6-73 against OU.   Thank you for your obsession with UND however and following blogs daily on Siouxsports that have nothing to do with NDSU.  

You'd still be wrong if you had said the last fifty times (that would be 25-25 - even). In any case, I was just correcting your "fact" with no editorial comment.

15 minutes ago, Gothmog said:

You'd still be wrong if you had said the last fifty times (that would be 25-25 - even). In any case, I was just correcting your "fact" with no editorial comment.

lol    Yes and I stated that in my last message I said that it was actually tied 25-25 the last 50 times, which still helps back up my overall point.  Perhaps I should have just stated UND is 10-5 the past fifteen games, 5-4 in the past ten, and 3-2 in the past five.  Thank you for the initial correction though :)

28 minutes ago, Sioux94 said:

lol    Yes and I stated that in my last message I said that it was actually tied 25-25 the last 50 times, which still helps back up my overall point.  Perhaps I should have just stated UND is 10-5 the past fifteen games, 5-4 in the past ten, and 3-2 in the past five.  Thank you for the initial correction though :)

Well, your original point seemed to be that UND was almost as good as NDSU over the last 50 years. Whether it's true or not (I'd say it's not), that's a pretty pathetic argument when you think about it.

• Downvote 1

23 minutes ago, Gothmog said:

Well, your original point seemed to be that UND was almost as good as NDSU over the last 50 years. Whether it's true or not (I'd say it's not), that's a pretty pathetic argument when you think about it.

Enough.  You made your point with your first post.  Now it appears your just trying to drive the thread off the tracks.

• Upvote 3

11 hours ago, iramurphy said:

Success of the hockey team certainly has a positive effect on FB as well as other sports and academic programs. Positive National exposure helps anything UND.  

That seems logical, However, this championship could actually harm football recruiting in the long run, if it simply adds to the growing perception that hockey is the only sport that matters at UND and all other sports, especially football, are second-class.  

• Downvote 9

16 minutes ago, Gothmog said:

That seems logical, However, this championship could actually harm football recruiting in the long run, if it simply adds to the growing perception that hockey is the only sport that matters at UND and all other sports, especially football, are second-class.  

So you are agreeing that his statement seems logical, then arguing against it with a completely illogical view.  Weak trolling.

• Upvote 1

Just now, Jackie Treehorn said:

So you are agreeing that his statement seems logical, then arguing against it with a completely illogical view.  Weak trolling.

Huh? You really don't think that a proposition can "seem" logical and be proven to have been false?

There's no inconsistency, or even any trolling, in what I posted.

2 hours ago, Gothmog said:

Not sure how UND football being poised for a playoff season following UND hockey's national championship is supposed to hurt...

If anything, the entire Grand Forks community will get UND Fever.

• Upvote 2