SiouxSports.com Forum

KFGO loses NDSU radio broadcast rights

fightingsioux4life

11 minutes ago, Sioux>Bison said:

Whatever we do we need to secure 550 KFYR as they have the best signal in the region that can be heard in all parts of the state and also surrounding states too. NDSU must not have gotten a good offer from FSN. Maybe FSN is going all in to get UND . NDSU is more fit to be on midco anyways.

550 is are already a radio affiliate for both schools, doubt that will change.

NDSU didn't get any offers from FSN. UND won't get one either but will likely continue as a sort of a partner to broadcast productions as they have been the last few years.

What I would like to see is a statewide football broadcast for every game on a network station like ABC (WDAZ, WDAY,other affiliates etc).

Keep the hockey TV agreement as is and have the basketball games on midco like they do now.

Is this impossible to do?  Am I asking for a miracle? 

We need to get back to our roots in ND for TV games.  I really hope our Big Sky Eversport Internet broadcasts aren't the holdup.

Someone educate me please?

• Upvote 2

4 hours ago, fightingsioux4life said:

Just heard this on News and Views:

http://www.gobison.com/news/2016/3/29/general-north-dakota-state-announces-media-rights-agreements.aspx

Now that KFGO is, shall we say, fair game, maybe UND could move in and fill the vacuum? Someone on the Frozen Four thread was complaining that Joel Heitkamp doesn't talk about UND enough; this would change all that in a hurry. Not to mention p!$$ off NDSU fans! :devil:

It is time UND was proactive about stuff like this instead of being reactive. Get on the horn and get it done! :)

Why would we want anything to do Joel Heitkamp? The guy is a flaming liberal, never has anything good to say about UND, and is just a plain idiot like all the other flaming liberals on KFGO.

• Upvote 2
  • Downvote 1

22 minutes ago, UNDvince97-01 said:

What I would like to see is a statewide football broadcast for every game on a network station like ABC (WDAZ, WDAY,other affiliates etc).

Keep the hockey TV agreement as is and have the basketball games on midco like they do now.

We need to get back to our roots in ND for TV games.  I really hope our Big Sky Eversport Internet broadcasts aren't the holdup.

BigSkyTV shouldn't prevent UND from signing a football (or any other sport) agreement with one of the local network stations.  The Midco deal for all sports is what prevented ABC, NBC, CBS, etc. from picking up the games.

3 minutes ago, UNDBIZ said:

BigSkyTV shouldn't prevent UND from signing a football (or any other sport) agreement with one of the local network stations.  The Midco deal for all sports is what prevented ABC, NBC, CBS, etc. from picking up the games.

Thanks,

Ok, so what is the current Midco coverage for the state of ND?  Is Midco all the way out in central and western ND?  Or primarily the I-29 corridor?

I do realize you have to have Midco to get the games, which is part of the problem in the first place with the current deal in my opinion.  Hence, my wish to have a statewide network deal.

• Upvote 2

5 minutes ago, UNDvince97-01 said:

Thanks,

Ok, so what is the current Midco coverage for the state of ND?  Is Midco all the way out in central and western ND?  Or primarily the I-29 corridor?

I do realize you have to have Midco to get the games, which is part of the problem in the first place with the current deal in my opinion.  Hence, my wish to have a statewide network deal.

Its in Bismarck, Dickinson, Williston, Grand Forks, Minot, Devils Lake and Soon all of Fargo.

Pretty good network.

https://www.midco.com/About/service-areas/north-dakota/

• Upvote 1

13 minutes ago, UNDvince97-01 said:

Thanks,

I know Midco has agreements in place with many smaller regional cable providers in the area as well (except cableone in Fargo).  Typically, the channel is only available with an upgraded sports package on those other providers though.

14 minutes ago, UNDvince97-01 said:

Thanks,

I agree a statewide network deal would be great.  

satellite tv provider would be great as well for those of us not living inside city limits.

#anythingbutmidco

18 minutes ago, ringneck28 said:

So what happens to the Midco Hockey coverage?  If they are going to be doing NDSU basketball, some of those games are on during the nights?  Is the hockey contract up?

Midco has multiple sports channels so that they can have multiple events going on. the NDSU deal doesn't really affect UND too much

1 hour ago, UNDvince97-01 said:

This is where we are lacking and where the Bison are stomping us.   It's those TV games that are killing us in the exposure dept.   We need to find some way to get on TV ever week during football season.

• Upvote 2

Just now, TRex said:

This is where we are lacking and where the Bison are stomping us.   It's those TV games that are killing us in the exposure dept.   We need to find some way to get on TV every week in North Dakota at minimum during football season.

I agree.  I also added to your post. :)

2 hours ago, Maddogg1971 said:

Why would we want anything to do Joel Heitkamp? The guy is a flaming liberal, never has anything good to say about UND, and is just a plain idiot like all the other flaming liberals on KFGO.

What in the heck do Joel Heitkamp's political viewpoints have to do with coverage of our sports teams? If I thought The Flag in Fargo would do a good job of broadcasting our games, I would be all for it. Even though they are a right-wing Tealiban station. :p

Simply put, KFGO has a monster signal that reaches a lot of people all over the region. Nobody would have any trouble picking up our games. That is my main motivation for snatching up 790AM. That and p!$$ing off all the Bison fans in the region! :devil:

And for the record, Dan Hammer holds down the 2-5pm time slot on KFGO and he is a self-described conservative.

*drops mic*

39 minutes ago, fightingsioux4life said:

Simply put, KFGO has a monster signal that reaches a lot of people all over the region. Nobody would have any trouble picking up our games. That is my main motivation for snatching up 790AM. That and p!$$ing off all the Bison fans in the region! :devil:

*drops mic*

You realize that WDAY's signal is almost identical to KFGO's right?

5 hours ago, bincitysioux said:

Radio FM Media must have put out major coin to get the rights away from KFGO.  Seems like a major downgrade to me as far as listener-ship and signal quality, but as someone else said this is largely mitigated by online options these days.  

The 1660 AM signal is, in a word, "turrible". Putting NDSU FB on an FM (107.9) will range-limit that signal much more as they get a lot of area coverage out of 790 AM's signal. They'd better not lose 600 AM out of Jamestown as an affiliate (that's the second biggest night footprint in the state). 

What I do see NDSU getting out of this is what I've accused KFGO, and WDAY before that, of being: all Bison all the time. However, look where 1660 AM was in the last Arbitron book. (Look down, further, further, further .... ) 

28 minutes ago, fightingsioux4life said:

It has been my experience that KFGO comes in much better than WDAY in Grand Forks and in other places as well.

Just curious on why UND should be in a hurry to go back to KFGO after how they ended the previous relationship? They gave UND a 2 hour notice that they were dropping UND after 17 years, not to mention they were less than 1 year into a new 3 year deal.

For the record, I believe the affiliation deal with WDAY is up after this season and I'm sure both KFGO and WDAY will be looked at.

• Upvote 2

2 hours ago, ringneck28 said:

So what happens to the Midco Hockey coverage?  If they are going to be doing NDSU basketball, some of those games are on during the nights?  Is the hockey contract up?

I believe Midco could add another station to their long list of channels already to accommodate multi-sports coverage in the region.

Hockey contract wont be up until 2017.

Just now, UNDBIZ said:

So 1 more season?  

Midco's 5 year deal started in 12-13, so it will end after the 16-17 season. If I'm a betting man, I would put money on Midco not retaining the UND deal due to their inability to reach people unless they are in Midco's viewing area.