SiouxSports.com Forum

NORTH DAKOTA vs. UMD - FRIDAY Gameday

AZSIOUX

2 hours ago, Oxbow6 said:

Our seats were in a predominantly UMD section. Passionate fans, knowledgeable and mostly good folks. One d**k right behind me though.....was that you Biddco?

I kid...I kid.

:D

Nope I was in a mostly UND section...Was disapointed by the turn out by UMD fans. I'm hoping there will be a few more tonight

I have had an uneasy feeling about this game all week.  The teams are all so good it seemed like going to a Frozen Four.  UND is high octane but so are those other three teams.  Any one of the four could have won it.   There were no doormats in this tournament.   Secondly, beating UMD five times in a row is a tall order, especially when they have more at stake and are out to regain some pride.  They were far and away the more motivated team...they were on a mission.  ND did not play the way they are capable of.  Playing relatively easy opponents the previous two week ends may have made us ever so slightly complacent and that is all it takes against high end NCHC.  I have followed our Fighting Sioux hockey team for years and what really made me admire those NCAA championship teams and even a couple of the teams that lost in the final was their work ethic.  You may have beaten one of those teams but it wasn't because you out worked them or had more intensity.  Those Sioux teams played with tremendous intensity for 60 minutes or as long as it took.   Nobody wanted to get paired against those great teams because of their speed, skill, smarts, and work ethic.  The Fighting Sioux never, ever gave up....they were relentless.  Those teams were simply too big, too strong, too fast, and too good for any opponent, but they didn't win all their games either.  

I didn't see the feared and most respected "Fighting Sioux" hockey played yesterday.  All the competition is going to be good the rest of the way and UND has as good a chance to win it all as anybody.  Whether they do or not will come down to character....do they want it more than the other teams and will they play up to the required level always that is always expected when you play for the best Division I hockey program in the country.  Think like champions, act like champions and play like champions and you will become champions.  

12 hours ago, GDPritch said:

Regarding your first statement above, that's exactly what I said on here a few days ago.  Coaches are all about routine, familiarity, ... so why veer from Fri night & Sat night? 

I am concerned that the "we'll get them tomorrow" mentality that Friday/Saturday series' cultivate has bitten us right square in the behind in the past few tournament runs! There is no Saturday night if we don't win on Friday night! I saw something extremely disappointing on Friday. At the conclusion of the game, (within the last few seconds) our players just skated away from the play toward the bench. Given, perhaps it was out of reach, but the Sioux hockey I grew upon on played to win until the last second had ticket away. I heard some at the game say that it really didn't matter - BS it just showed the teams scouting us how vulnerable we are. Every game matters!

2 hours ago, geaux_sioux said:

It was a being not so big but playing big comparison. I didn't think it was crazy.

Gotcha. I couldn't remember what the comparison was. Just not used to hearing those names together. LJ is solid, but it would be great to see him play more consistently.

I have noticed he has better puck Control than last year. He whiffed on way too many shots last season.

I decided to pick up tickets for the game today, so hopefully we take it to denver. Would also like to see Duluth beat up on the clowns tonight. May need that if we are going to be in St paul next weekend.

Go Sioux!