SiouxSports.com Forum

Ncaa Playoff Seedings/Possibilities

Sioux-09

I am just wondering how North Dakota will get in to the West Regional in Minneapolis. I'm actually curious to know about other team around the country and where they'll land. And even Minnesota if they win the Big Ten. Will they get into the West Regional to? It'll be interesting to see how all of this will turn out.

14 minutes ago, Sioux-09 said:

I am just wondering how North Dakota will get in to the West Regional in Minneapolis. I'm actually curious to know about other team around the country and where they'll land. And even Minnesota if they win the Big Ten. Will they get into the West Regional to? It'll be interesting to see how all of this will turn out.

Most likely have to finish above St. Cloud in the PWR.

Minnesota will be in the West Regional if they make the tournament because they are host. 

• Upvote 1

9 minutes ago, Sioux-09 said:

If Minnesota makes the tournament they will automatically be in St. Paul as the host school. If Miami makes the tournament they will automatically be in Cincinnati as the host school. If Holy Cross makes the tournament they will automatically be in Worcester, MA as the host school. It is too early to know any more about which teams will be in which regionals. UND will most likely be in St. Paul if they finish as a 1 seed and are ranked higher in the Pairwise than St. Cloud. They could possibly be put in St. Paul as a 1 seed even if they are ranked lower than St. Cloud, but it isn't as likely. They could also be in St. Paul as a 2 seed, but that is harder to predict. There are 4 weekends of play before the tournament selection, a lot can change in that time.

There is no doubt if we aren't the same seed as SCSU, they will put us both in St. Paul. If we are both the 1 seeds then the only way we end up in St. Paul is if we finish ahead of SCSU in the Pairwise. I don't believe a #1 seed has ever been relocated for attendance purposes and that would be the reason to put us in St. Paul over St. Cloud.

• Upvote 2

12 hours ago, cberkas said:

Most likely have to finish above St. Cloud in the PWR.

Minnesota will be in the West Regional if they make the tournament because they are host. 

To be the No. 1 seed in the regional, yes. If we fall to a No. 2 seed, we could absolutely be put there.

13 minutes ago, UND-RedSox fan said:

There is no doubt if we aren't the same seed as SCSU, they will put us both in St. Paul. If we are both the 1 seeds then the only way we end up in St. Paul is if we finish ahead of SCSU in the Pairwise. I don't believe a #1 seed has ever been relocated for attendance purposes and that would be the reason to put us in St. Paul over St. Cloud.

They won't do it. The committee will protect the higher seed with the belief that SCSU will carry attendance in St. Paul. If Minny is in, they won't need anyone else, frankly.

• Upvote 1

23 minutes ago, stoneySIOUX said:

They won't do it. The committee will protect the higher seed with the belief that SCSU will carry attendance in St. Paul. If Minny is in, they won't need anyone else, frankly.

And I don't think they should do it. Bracket integrity should be more important than attendance, especially for top seeds. If they finish ahead of us then they deserve to be in St. Paul and we don't in my opinion. 

• Upvote 4

19 minutes ago, UND-RedSox fan said:

And I don't think they should do it. Bracket integrity should be more important than attendance, especially for top seeds. If they finish ahead of us then they deserve to be in St. Paul and we don't in my opinion. 

Agreed.

14 minutes ago, siouxstudent said:

So if we finish above St. Cloud in the pairwise do you think we get the west regional for sure? Could be quite a region if the Goofs get in. As of right now it looks like we will be Cincy bound.

I don't see why we wouldn't be in St. Paul if we are higher than them.

29 minutes ago, siouxstudent said:

So if we finish above St. Cloud in the pairwise do you think we get the west regional for sure? Could be quite a region if the Goofs get in. As of right now it looks like we will be Cincy bound.

So let's say St Cloud stumbles down the stretch here and drops down to a 2 seed and we stay as a 1 seed.  Does the committee put UND, St Cloud, and Minnesota (if they make it) in the St Paul regional?  Would be one heck of a regional!!!

2 minutes ago, Siouxperfan7 said:

So let's say St Cloud stumbles down the stretch here and drops down to a 2 seed and we stay as a 1 seed.  Does the committee put UND, St Cloud, and Minnesota (if they make it) in the St Paul regional?  Would be one heck of a regional!!!

The simple answer is absolutely yes but IMO the more likely scenario is UND goes as the #2 seed.

• Upvote 1

3 hours ago, Frozen4sioux said:

The conspiracy theorist in me sees MICHIGAN dumping a game or 2 to UMtc this weeekend so B1G has 2 at large and then a "suprise" Penn State tourney win to place 3 teams in the tourney.

Tough conspiracy theory to pull off. Even if Minnesota wins out in the regular season and wins a game in the B1G tournament they could still very well miss an at-large berth. Even with the perfect scenario I don't think Minnesota can finish higher than 12th. If they don't lose again until the B1G championship game I think they'll end up around 13-14, putting them right on the bubble.

4 hours ago, GFG said:

Tough conspiracy theory to pull off. Even if Minnesota wins out in the regular season and wins a game in the B1G tournament they could still very well miss an at-large berth. Even with the perfect scenario I don't think Minnesota can finish higher than 12th. If they don't lose again until the B1G championship game I think they'll end up around 13-14, putting them right on the bubble.

Bye bye conspiracy theory lol.

• Upvote 2

34 minutes ago, Sioux>Bison said:

Minnesota doesn't deserve a berth , I would think the NCAA would want to make bank in the cities so they better put UND there.

If the NCAA was worried about making bank on the hockey tournament they would do it completely differently. They will make minor adjustments to pairings to help attendance, especially at some rinks where they expect lower attendance. But they aren't going to wreck integrity of the pairings just to attract a few fans. The entire hockey tournament makes money the way it is, but the NCAA makes so much money on basketball and football that they aren't concerned about making a few extra dollars on hockey.