SiouxSports.com Forum

Fighting Sioux Coaches Show

PCM

Disclaimer: This is a summary of the weekly Fighting Sioux Coaches how. It is NOT a verbatim transcript of the show. Comments by the show's hosts and the coaches are paraphrased to the best of the author's ability and are NOT direct quotes. This summary contains selected highlights from the show and is NOT a comprehensive account of all topics covered or discussed. This broadcast summary represents the interpretation of the author and is not associated in any manner with SiouxSports.com, the University of North Dakota or US College Hockey Online. This summary MAY NOT BE REPRODUCED without the written permission of the author.

Live from Joe DiMaggio's Restaurant in beautiful downtown Grand Forks. Tim Hennessy and Scott Swygman are the hosts with Coach Dean Blais and assistant coach Dave Hakstol.

Because Sioux men

Edited by PCM

Now it sounds as if Prpich's injury was a bit more serious than originally thought. I'd rather that he sat out this series and got healthy for the Final Five.

Blais is also a bit concerned about Bochenski's lack of scoring. This would be a good weekend for him to get back on track.

Thanks again, PCM!

This stood out to me:

Blais said they need to get the band more involved in orchestrating the cheers.

The reason it stands out is that right now the band is NOT going to the Final Five. Money issues is the big reason. The band doesn't want to have to do the phone-a-thon crap anymore (though I'm sure they will for the Frozen Four), and supposedly they aren't getting any monetary support from elsewhere. My guess is alumni and athletic dept. I believe the band is also upset with the way the Ralph has been treating them.

I'm sure I butchered some of this info, since it was second hand along with speculation. I included it, because it's going to be really sad at the Xcel having to listen to only the Gopher band. Keeping in mind that the Gopher band (assuming we both win) in past years has bought (they are supported at their university) extra tickets so that they could have over 50 people instead of the 25 allowed.

I always have thought that the battle of the bands was great fun and added a lot to the atmosphere.

Edited by cheeringsiouxfromsmoggycali

The band needs time and a fostering atmosphere. They also need to be, IMO, a seperate entity from the Pride of the North Football band. They also need standards.

The biggest problem with standards is that it will, again, take time. They cannot just start out with the standards we all want next year. No one would try out for the band. But they need to get higher and start demanding responsibility. They need to practice, get newer material, and do so with the FULL cooperation of the Ralph, not the half-a**ed version they are getting now.

I say make them a seperate entity because, especially during the football season, they come into the arena with no "chops." They could be tired, or just not taking it seriously after all that intensive playing while moving. Eliminate that and it SHOULD improve.

They need to practice in the Ralph. They need to go and listen to other hockey bands if they could (UW's would be nice). They may need to hold a battle of the bands thing at the Ralph (not going to happen, but it would be cool). They need to work out the mic system so that the brass and drums aren't mic'd and the other instruments are.

And even if they don't install the band on a regular basis as far as playing time, there should be a guy who runs the piped in music who has better taste. The piped in music should only replace the band if the band doesn't want to play or in some coordinated manner and it also should try to coincide with what's going on in the game. FOr example, there is a song called "Get Over It" (I can't remember the name of the band who did it) that could be played if there is a break in the action and the opponent's players are complaining to the refs.

There is a ton of things that can be done.

How much money does it take?

(Just curious.)

Good question. I believe the 25 tickets are covered by the WCHA/NCAA, but I could be wrong on that. My guess would be the band would leave on Friday morning and if the team wins, they'd stay until Sunday. So figure two nights.

So you have bus travel/driver (for entire trip) which is pricey even though it should be a UND bus. My guess would be 8 or 10 hotel rooms. This could be different due to boys and girls being seperated. I believe there would be a small per diem, but maybe none at all.

Those are the different factors involved, but it's got to be well over $2,000 without tickets. I'm just not sure on the bus/driver.

The band needs time and a fostering atmosphere. They also need to be, IMO, a seperate entity from the Pride of the North Football band. They also need standards.

The problem is that I sit on the opposite end of the band and you really can't hear them that well from where I sit. The band needs to louder.

instead of giving money for that trumpet player they could have given it to the band. The Band is like Social Security everybody wants it but nobody wants to pay for it or support it.

Maybe it is time to pass the hat around between periods. I am not against putting a few dollars in the hat if they pass it around. Every little bit counts and I know its fun to have the band at the final five.

The band needs time and a fostering atmosphere.  They also need to be, IMO, a seperate entity from the Pride of the North Football band.  They also need standards.

The biggest problem with standards is that it will, again, take time.  They cannot just start out with the standards we all want next year.  No one would try out for the band.  But they need to get higher and start demanding responsibility.  They need to practice, get newer material, and do so with the FULL cooperation of the Ralph, not the half-a**ed version they are getting now.

I say make them a seperate entity because, especially during the football season, they come into the arena with no "chops."  They could be tired, or just not taking it seriously after all that intensive playing while moving.  Eliminate that and it SHOULD improve. 

I don't think it could be seperate, because there wouldn't be any numbers in the marching band. Facts are that the band practices a lot in the fall. They get one measley credit and give up almost every weekend. The only reward is going on a hockey trip. If hockey is seperate, why be in the marching band? What, to go to Alabama? Riding a bus for longer than you're in the state isn't rewarding.

The worst weekends are when football and hockey occur. Practice late afternoon Friday and then off to the Ralph. Up to practice by 8 am on Saturday. Hopefully no parade. At the Alerus until 4 or 5. Go home eat and change and sprint to the Ralph. Two bands would be nice, but the numbers are just not there and it's going to take a lot of time.

They need to practice in the Ralph.  They need to go and listen to other hockey bands if they could (UW's would be nice).  They may need to hold a battle of the bands thing at the Ralph (not going to happen, but it would be cool).  They need to work out the mic system so that the brass and drums aren't mic'd and the other instruments are. 

Won't happen. They can't even get practice time in the Alerus. The mics are run by the Ralph and were supposed to be hanging from the ceiling years ago. It's never happened. The band does hook up their own mics and have some control, but I believe some adjustments need to be done through the Ralph.

Maybe it is time to pass the hat around between periods. I am not against putting a few dollars in the hat if they pass it around. Every little bit counts and I know its fun to have the band at the final five.

We did that to buy uniforms about five years ago. We didn't get much and it was embarrassing. The phone-a-thons/radio-a-thons work, but a lot of people would call just to complain about us raising money.

Let me say that I thank everyone that's ever supported the band and it's always been appreciated. It'd just be nice if the University supported it more.

For those of you who are disappointed with the band not going to the Final Five, please help this not to happen anymore. E-mail Kupchella and Roger Thomas tell them how you feel. They need to know that people want the band there. It is the band that helps create the college atmosphere. Every e-mail will help.

Now it sounds as if Prpich's injury was a bit more serious than originally thought. I'd rather that he sat out this series and got healthy for the Final Five.

I agree. Better to have him recovered 100% then risk any further damage. Get well soon Mike! :D

And, thanks for the recap PCM!

If Danny Irmen wins the WCHA ROTY it would be the biggest hose job in the history of sports. I just can't fathome Brady Murray not getting WCHA ROTY.

There is absolutely no chance whatsoever of Irmen winning the WCHA ROTY!

The results should turn out something like this, assuming an ideal world:

Murray, Carle, Suter, Zaba IMHO

They need to have a hockey person running the music.

Yup.

And do some prep work:

- Do sound check levels before using a cut. Don't have to dial it up or down when it's playing. Know where to have it set, set it, and play it.

- Have 15-20 second cuts from songs ready for short breaks. Have 65 second cuts for TV breaks. And don't use the long boring slow dull 30 second intro to a song; instead, lose the intro and grab the high-energy cut that comes after it and use that in the breaks*.

* For example, and not that REA has done this, don't use the quiet slow guitar intro from Metallica's "Enter Sandman." Don't be locked into using a song from the beginning. Grab a fast, loud cut somewhere in the song, in this case where the lyric "... off to never-never land ..." bites in and goes to a hard guitar riff.

By the way, that proposed "Enter Sandman" cut is what I'd run as an opponent heads to the sin bin "to feel much shame." ;):(

Thanks PCM!

A bit concerned about Blais comments about all players needing to step up. Was he challenging Bo?

I'm ok with them resting Prpich to make sure he's fully healthy. We should be able to beat Tech without Mike. Better to have him at 100%.

I will very much miss the band. Here's an idea that will piss off some students, but I say move the band down to the first level in the student section.

I'm sending an email to Kup and Thomas to tell them to send the band.

c_kupchella@mail.UND.nodak.edu

roger.thomas@mail.UND.nodak.edu

Thanks PC. Great job as always. Sure hope Prpich is better by next weekend and Brady better get rookie of the year. Irman isn't even close. That said,

I believe the costs are closer to $3500 for the band to make the trip. The bus is extremely expensive - and you need two nights rooms and board for the players. The band should be there. They practice all year, they are at every game, but no money to send them to the tournament. How fair is that? I sincerely hope that the higher ups at UND take notice and look for changes for this group in the future.

I believe the costs are closer to $3500 for the band to make the trip. The bus is extremely expensive - and you need two nights rooms and board for the players. The band should be there. They practice all year, they are at every game, but no money to send them to the tournament. How fair is that? I sincerely hope that the higher ups at UND take notice and look for changes for this group in the future.

Those costs would be covered by 2 or 3 50-50 raffles. How about giving the band a few games to make some $$, the strength and conditioning department has to have enough $$ by now.

I don't think anyone is seriously considering Irmen as ROTY, some homer caller to the radio show doesn't mean anything. I think most would agree BM is the leading candidate. The only player that could give him a run for his money would be Stafford, in my opinion anyway.

Thanks PCM.