SiouxSports.com Forum

Parise trade rumors

schmidtdoggydog

Caps play tough in Gonchar talks

Washington wants top N.J. prospect as part of a deal

Leafs still in hunt for high-scoring defenceman

KEN CAMPBELL

SPORTS REPORTER

A 19-year-old U.S. college star and future New Jersey Devil may prove to be the key to the Sergei Gonchar sweepstakes.

Zach Parise, a Devils prospect playing at the University of North Dakota, is reportedly the player who stands between the Devils and Washington Capitals in a deal for Gonchar.

Capitals GM George McPhee has reportedly insisted that Parise be part of any deal involving Gonchar and the Devils are insistent they won't part with their first-round pick from last June's entry draft.

If Parise proves to be a stumbling block that can't be overcome, the beneficiary could be the Maple Leafs, who are also in the hunt for Gonchar. The Colorado Avalanche made deals for two defencemen in the past week and it's unlikely they'll be involved in talks for Gonchar, but other teams such as the Nashville Predators, with lots of picks and prospects, might enter the picture as it gets closer to the March 9 trade deadline. If the St. Louis Blues are still in the hunt, they may also be interested.

What do you think about these talks, Jim?

Personally, I'd feel sorry for Zach if he did end up with the Caps. Not very deep on the talent end, on and off the ice, and an owner who takes the Rangers' approach and signs players in the twilight of their careers. If the happens, he'd be better off going MJ for a season then coming in as a free-agent, whenever the work stoppage ends.

Fascinating. I actually suggested to Leonsis last Spring that one reason the team, which had always been a playoff team for 20+ years, has struggled since 2000 was because they had abandoned their philosophy of offensive development and were turning too much to free-agency (read: Jagr). I even pointed out N.J. as an example of extensive scouting and development, including college players such as Zach.

He responded that they had one of the league's best pipelines, particularly in net with Ouellet and Daigneault, and that they're not opposed to college players (Werner from U-Mass, who also played for Eaves on the NTDP, is a lot like Zach -- great presence but not very physical) but that they draft based on their evaluation of the talent, not what league they're coming from.

Then McPhee gets rid of Jagr and starts scouting N.J.'s college players. Definitely seems like the right move to me. Unfortunately, they're still paying half of Jagr's salary for 4 more years. The potential trading of Gonchar is scary, particularly after the loss of Klee, because it looks like a firesale and would leave them pretty empty on D. Plus, defensemen can take a long time to develop.

The rumor on the street is that Washington is looking for both Zach and P.Mart. or Hale, which would be a great trade, though would probably nix the deal. The article quoted above even indicates that the impasse is that the Devils refuse to trade Parise. This could also all be really smart prep for the lockout/future salary caps.

I admit that it would stink if Parise was traded to the Capitols, but it wouldn't be the end of the world. That would happen if (no offense PCM) Parise was traded to the Rangers.

From NHL Tonight's report, it appears as though the Caps are going to try to unload everyone but keep one of their players to focus the team around. NHL Tonight could be wrong already as the player they thought the Caps should focus on is Sergei Gonchar. I think (no offense gopher fans) that NJ would be a fit to Gonchar, and players like P. Mart and DeMarchi may be adequate compensation if paired with a few draft picks. Heck, I'd throw in Albelin too.

So the Caps fire sale could work to benefit Parise or hurt him. It really depends upon what approach McPhee decides to take: The Rangers and Red Wings approach, or the Devils or maybe even Avalanche approach (they've taken a lot of players from their farm system into the league and only signed a few free agents here and there).

I personally hope Parise stays with the Devils.

It really depends upon what approach McPhee decides to take: The Rangers and Red Wings approach, or the Devils or maybe even Avalanche approach (they've taken a lot of players from their farm system into the league and only signed a few free agents here and there).

I think you need your Red Wings logo taken away. How can you compare them to the Rangers? Detroit does a very good job with their farm team. Did you watch the game last night? Lamothe was a very good goalie. Everyone knows about Zetterberg and Datsyuk. Do you expect Detroit to have a new star young player every year? :)

Great game last night, especially the last 5 minutes of regulation and the overtime. I love the Oiler's crowd you know they are totally into it, but so quiet, you can hear every pass, every edge of the skate.

NJ won't make that mistake. They'll hang tough. Plus, where will I find a Capitols jersey for the Saturday March 6th game on such short notice. I'm wearing my NJ Devils jersey for that game in honor of Parise, just in case it's his last regular season game for the Sioux...Since I sit three rows behind him, I thought it'd be kinda fun to do...anyone else want to join me???

Personally, if he leaves after this year I could care less what he does in New Jersey. I get tired of these college players jumping early to the pros and not even making the show( Commodore, Roche, B. Lundbohm among others). IMO if he left after this year WITHOUT a national championship Minnesota did not miss out that much. If the Sioux win the NC then I could see him leaving, he is not ready for the NHL, he needs to get stronger. The NHL is all about physical play and he gets beat physically at times at the college level.

Personally, if he leaves after this year I could care less what he does in New Jersey. I get tired of these college players jumping early to the pros and not even making the show( Commodore, Roche, B. Lundbohm among others). IMO if he left after this year WITHOUT a national championship Minnesota did not miss out that much. If the Sioux win the NC then I could see him leaving, he is not ready for the NHL, he needs to get stronger. The NHL is all about physical play and he gets beat physically at times at the college level.

I'm wondering if you'd turn down Big signing bonuses, to "stay in school"?

not saying I like the idea either, but I'd be "lucky" to see $500,000 after several years of working!

I thought the Devils were already solid at D & didn't need anyone else back there. Granted, Gonchar's a star but I was under the assumption N.J. won with mostly gritty role players. Why fix something that ain't broken? Was interesting that NHL-2-nite highlighted a recent comment from Gonchar to the effect, "I'm not getting any younger & I want to be part of a winning team & win the Cup before I retire." (paraphrased)

I thought the Devils were already solid at D & didn't need anyone else back there.

Watching a broadcast the other night, the announcers talked about NJ defensmen injuries. I believe Stevens might still be out with a concussion, and they lost another player or two. Plus, they do have two rookies playing and veteran defense is what you want for the playoffs.

I'd rather see him in a Caps uniform than a Rangers uni. I would really like to see him wearing green, red, and gold :)

(For the dense people of this board...it's the Wild)

I wouldn't. The Wild play a similar game to the Devils but it really ends there. They like big tough MJ players like Alex Henry and all.

A small-ish forward like Parise wouldn't fit in their scheme.

Gosh it's hard to think of Parise in any other colors but Red, Black, and White.

I wouldn't. The Wild play a similar game to the Devils but it really ends there. They like big tough MJ players like Alex Henry and all.

A small-ish forward like Parise wouldn't fit in their scheme.

Gosh it's hard to think of Parise in any other colors but Red, Black, and White.

I want to see him with the Wild because they are my favorite team :)

And I can think of Parise in colors other than Red, Black, and White....GREEN, Black, and White...you know, SIOUX colors.

I want to see him with the Wild because they are my favorite team :)

And I can think of Parise in colors other than Red, Black, and White....GREEN, Black, and White...you know, SIOUX colors.

That goes without saying. I think, if DI trading was allowed, every team in the DI would trade their entire teams plus incoming recruits for Zach.

Speaking of your Wild, the traded Hendrickson for a fourth of 5th round pick. I would have thought he'd be worth at least a 3rd or even 2nd round, if not two 4th or lower picks.