SiouxSports.com Forum

UND vs. Duluth

jimdahl

• Replies 195
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Dagies- In reading your post I can see your point. Let me put it this way, in a big series like this I am counting on the experience of Blais to come through. I think Blais is a very good coach although I have questioned some of his moves this year. I am hoping that Blais can guide this young team to the McNaughton cup and then on to Beantown. In Blais we trust!

1. Dubay said he doesn't think the Sioux can do anything in Duluth this weekend and Duluth will be skating with the McNaughton Cup on Saturday.

2. There is no way the Sioux will let Duluth skate in front of them with the McNaughton Cup celebrating.

3. The Sioux are not going to fold just because Duluth has a 15 game unbeaten streak.

4. Let us not forget who handed Duluth their last two losses, the University of North Dakota Fighting Sioux!

1. Dubay is an idiot. As much as I would like to hope it would happen, I highly doubt UMD will skate away with the McNaughton this weekend. This statement is a clear attempt to set UMD up, by making them think that they are favored going into the weekend, which is NOT the case. UMD is 0-3 vs. the Sioux this season.

2. Certainly not without a fight!! :love:

3. True. If anything, the streak may put pressure on the Dogs. UMD needs to realize that a loss is not the end of the world, just the end of the streak (unless the loss comes after the final five).

4. True hockey fans, who know the history this season, would give a slight edge to the Sioux this weekend. I do as well. The crystal ball says: SPLIT. UND 4-2, UMD 5-2.

True hockey fans, who know the history this season, would give a slight edge to the Sioux this weekend.

Don't you mean "Sioux" hockey fans? UMD lost three games at Engelstad with two of those being by one goal. The 6-3 loss was with Johnson in goal. Duluth is the hottest team in the country playing in their own building (won 11 in a row there) where they destroyed Minnesota just a couple of weeks ago and then went on the road and swept CC, something North Dakota couldn't do at home a couple of weeks ago. Throw in the fact that the last time UND went on the road against a decent team, they got swept.

I'd give the slight edge to UMD.

This should be the best series in the WCHA all year. I was up there when we got spanked by the dawgs the other weekend. It wasnt pretty. They work harder than any team i have seen all year, and the DECC isnt the easiest place to play in. This would be a good series to watch, wish it was on TV.

UMD lost three games at Engelstad with two of those being by one goal. The 6-3 loss was with Johnson in goal.

I love how no matter how many games we win some gopher fans always have to find something to talk about. If we win by 1, we should have won by more, or if we win by 3, it was because they had another goalie in net. This weekend is going to be a great series, no doubt.

The Sioux need to get some traffic in front of Reichmuth and get some garbage goals. He is the best goaltender in the league and we cannot just shoot the puck into the goalie's chest like we did too often in Wisco against Bruckler. I hope Blais sticks with the same line combos. Fabian deserves to be in the line-up. I expect to see the same line-up and combos at least to start the game. Canady and Massen are just not producing and I think they sit this weekend. Fabian is not a great skater but he does not take dumb penalties like Canady and Massen just does not have it together this year.

Don't you mean "Sioux" hockey fans? UMD lost three games at Engelstad with two of those being by one goal. The 6-3 loss was with Johnson in goal. Duluth is the hottest team in the country playing in their own building (won 11 in a row there) where they destroyed Minnesota just a couple of weeks ago and then went on the road and swept CC, something North Dakota couldn't do at home a couple of weeks ago. Throw in the fact that the last time UND went on the road against a decent team, they got swept.

I'd give the slight edge to UMD.

Why all the negativity? Have some faith in your Sioux. Even if you think Duluth is the better team you don't tell people that. You have to brag up your team as much as you can. That's what fans do. You don't give other teams "the edge."

Sioux will sweep!

Why all the negativity? Have some faith in your Sioux. Even if you think Duluth is the better team you don't tell people that. You have to brag up your team as much as you can. That's what fans do. You don't give other teams "the edge."

Sioux will sweep!

He's a gopher fan.

Important to note that in the December losses at REA, tUMD was without senior captain Beau Geisler as he was out with a hand injury. When he was out, the Dogs were a totally different team. Isaac was also in the middle of his terrible slump - that meltdown in Grand Forks was his lowpoint. He seems to have things back in order.

The Bulldogs better hope they win on Friday, because I think UND will use their size on the small ice. Back in the HOF game, I didn't think the Sioux used their size the way they could've - well that all changed in December. After watching the games at Mariucci I was very worried because the Sioux really shut down the middle and hardly any shots were taken between the circles by the Gophs. There will be even less room at the DECC, so it will be interesting to see how many chances tUMD gets close to the net. I'm not optimistic. :love:

I know that UMD isn't the same team it was earlier in the season. The Bulldogs are the hottest team in college hockey. To me it's not a question of whether UMD is good, but whether the Sioux will play the way that got them the number-one ranking for much of the season. The series in Mankato sugggests that perhaps the Sioux have returned to form. Even at that, I think you have to give the edge to the Bulldogs because they're on home ice.

The Sioux need to get some traffic in front of Reichmuth and get some garbage goals. He is the best goaltender in the league and we cannot just shoot the puck into the goalie's chest like we did too often in Wisco against Bruckler. I hope Blais sticks with the same line combos. Fabian deserves to be in the line-up. I expect to see the same line-up and combos at least to start the game. Canady and Massen are just not producing and I think they sit this weekend. Fabian is not a great skater but he does not take dumb penalties like Canady and Massen just does not have it together this year.

Fabian has always been a "hard-worker".....I've seen him numerous times at the Saturday pre-game skate, not starting, but yet working on the little things....puck handling, skating drills, etc.

He has a strong work ethic.....you're right, he needs some work on the "foot work". I agree, might as well play him this weekend.....the others don't seem to be working as hard, and take "Dumb" penalties! something we cannot have against UMD! (Prpich??....has to watch some of them!)

Important to note that in the December losses at REA, tUMD was without senior captain Beau Geisler as he was out with a hand injury. When he was out, the Dogs were a totally different team. Isaac was also in the middle of his terrible slump - that meltdown in Grand Forks was his lowpoint. He seems to have things back in order.

The Bulldogs better hope they win on Friday, because I think UND will use their size on the small ice. Back in the HOF game, I didn't think the Sioux used their size the way they could've - well that all changed in December. After watching the games at Mariucci I was very worried because the Sioux really shut down the middle and hardly any shots were taken between the circles by the Gophs. There will be even less room at the DECC, so it will be interesting to see how many chances tUMD gets close to the net. I'm not optimistic. :love:

Don't forget the tie in land cow land!!!!!!!!

I think Duluth is downright scary right now. I think what they have going for them is confidence. By now they must know they are a good team and can play with anyone. They won't be intimidated by the Sioux. They'll be ready to play and ready for revenge.

Duluth has most of the intangibles going their way. They have home ice, it's probably senior night or parents night or something as it is their last home regular season series, they probably consider themselves the underdog considering where their program has been of late, and they are on a winning streak to be proud of with the league title in hand. That, and the revenge factor after being beaten 3 straight times by the Sioux this year.

Fortunately, I think the Sioux are at least able to go into this series in the right frame of mind. Maybe it was only the Mavs, but we did what we should have done against a team of their caliber at this point. Our scoring was balanced. Bo got 1+ goals, goaltending was good. Other than not playing as well on Friday night and needing Brandt to bail us out, I think the weekend was as good as could be hoped for. My guess is the guys feel good about how they are playing and since it wasn't a big battle for the league mentally rested for this upcoming showdown.

I think it's a pretty tall order to expect a Sioux sweep. Duluth is playing so well I could see a Duluth sweep but consider a split most likely as I'm clinging to the hope that the Sioux just in time have regained some of their form from earlier this season. Duluth hasn't lost in too long. They are due. We're just the team to pay them.

Can't wait!

Sioux will sweep!

For lesser teams I get worried with the Sioux because they tend to get caught up in their style of play. But they are going to be palying a very skilled team and I think at the very least the Sioux will win one....and maybe close to a sweep. Reasons for that are simple:

1. The last few years the Sioux have done very well in Duluth. I was at the game I think it was in 98' or 99 when the Sioux were down either 3-2 with about 45 seconds to play and they pulled it out. The Sioux players had to get off the ice fast because the fans were thrwoing everything but the kitchen sink at them. The Sioux will play at least to the skill level of Duluth and I really think will come out flying and try to set the tone of the game.

2. All the big series this year have involved the Sioux. They are conditioned for the pressure and the big games.

3. If they get above average goaltending, I really like the their chances.

Don't get me wrong, Duluth is strong in all phases of the game, but so are the Sioux. This is what it is all about. I just want a strong showing, because the biggest prize is in April.

GO SIOUX!

For lesser teams I get worried with the Sioux because they tend to get caught up in their style of play. But they are going to be palying a very skilled team and I think at the very least the Sioux will win one....and maybe close to a sweep. Reasons for that are simple:

1. The last few years the Sioux have done very well in Duluth. I was at the game I think it was in 98' or 99 when the Sioux were down either 3-2 with about 45 seconds to play and they pulled it out. The Sioux players had to get off the ice fast because the fans were thrwoing everything but the kitchen sink at them. The Sioux will play at least to the skill level of Duluth and I really think will come out flying and try to set the tone of the game.

2. All the big series this year have involved the Sioux. They are conditioned for the pressure and the big games.

3. If they get above average goaltending, I really like the their chances.

Don't get me wrong, Duluth is strong in all phases of the game, but so are the Sioux. This is what it is all about. I just want a strong showing, because the biggest prize is in April.

GO SIOUX!

Oh Yeah and one more thing..........NEVER, EVER, underestimate Dean Blais and what he can do with a team. He is the best coach in the country. His players know it, he knows it and he expects his team to perform like it. I am very confident this weekend.

GO SIOUX!

1. The last few years the Sioux have done very well in Duluth. I was at the game I think it was in 98' or 99 when the Sioux were down either 3-2 with about 45 seconds to play and they pulled it out. The Sioux players had to get off the ice fast because the fans were thrwoing everything but the kitchen sink at them.

The last few years everyone has done well in Duluth but tUMD! ;)

I remember us hitting Deano in the head with hot dogs - he promptly threw them right back at us - it was great! :)