SiouxSports.com Forum

What's Up With The Offense?

geaux_sioux

But, we laid an egg on two consecutive saturdays. That is what is unacceptable. We need to start being competitive in every game. Our D is on the right path and our front 7 is the real deal. Our offense just needs to start clicking or our D may not hold up all season. We need high standards as fans, its a good thing.

That's easier said than done. I mean, we're talking about an entire unit here; when you have a good defense but a bad offense, that equates to an average football team. Right now, UND is an average football team (5-6 or 6-5). Until the offense comes together, they wont be a playoff caliber squad. Fortunately, I think the offense has the potential to improve during the season, and with that, the team could perhaps reach the 7 win mark and possibly the FCS playoffs.

• Upvote 1

If Colton Boas or Brandon Miller face anyone with average talent, they will lose their one on one battle. Those two might be the worst starting o lineman in our division one era. A.J. Stockwell is very raw, not ready right now, but at least he is athletic and strong, should be a solid player as he gains experience. Brandon and Sean are the leaders and are going to do their jobs most of the time, all though they both get beat as well. If the Line can't give Keaton time, or get to the second level on running plays, then we all continue to watch the offense fail every week as we enter the big sky. I knew after the Drake game that we had no chance of any offense against NDSU because the Line would not be able to face that challenge, if they can't handle Drake's front 7, imagine what the big sky front sevens will be able to do. You got some work to do Knauf, you better earn your paycheck. 

• Upvote 1

I trust coach Knaupf after last season how the line play progressed. He'll make an adjustment if he feels a backup is ready, if not I guess the starters need to step up big time.

i respect your football knowledge and think you are somewhat of a program insider but I have to ask - how in the wild wild world of sports has the line play progressed?  This is the worst line push I have ever seen and our play selection is nothing to write home about either.  Adjustments - ha, what adjustments.  It's like Bubba  got the coaches together and said "this is what Bubba ball is - dominant running game, great line play, and possession football. Now don't bother me, I'm off to worry about the defensive front 7. Let me know how things work out.".  

So here's my take on the state of the offense (or at least what I am hoping) as we go forward through Big Sky play...............

So there are only 3 teams in the conference that really make a point to emphasize the run game:  Cal Poly, Northern Arizona, and North Dakota.  As such, most Big Sky defenses aren't built to defend a "run-first" team.  This is why UND is going have more success rushing the ball as we go forward.

You have to build your team to win your conference.  Mussman thought the best way to do it was through the air.  Bubba seems to think the best way to do it is on the ground.

• Upvote 1

If Colton Boas or Brandon Miller face anyone with average talent, they will lose their one on one battle. Those two might be the worst starting o lineman in our division one era. A.J. Stockwell is very raw, not ready right now, but at least he is athletic and strong, should be a solid player as he gains experience. Brandon and Sean are the leaders and are going to do their jobs most of the time, all though they both get beat as well. If the Line can't give Keaton time, or get to the second level on running plays, then we all continue to watch the offense fail every week as we enter the big sky. I knew after the Drake game that we had no chance of any offense against NDSU because the Line would not be able to face that challenge, if they can't handle Drake's front 7, imagine what the big sky front sevens will be able to do. You got some work to do Knauf, you better earn your paycheck. 

OK-  I will buy some, or most of that.  

How did we go from looking pretty good on the O- line last 2 games last year, return 3 starters, look good at Wyoming, then we can't run on Drake and can't gain a yard against NDSU????

So here's my take on the state of the offense (or at least what I am hoping) as we go forward through Big Sky play...............

So there are only 3 teams in the conference that really make a point to emphasize the run game:  Cal Poly, Northern Arizona, and North Dakota.  As such, most Big Sky defenses aren't built to defend a "run-first" team.  This is why UND is going have more success rushing the ball as we go forward.

You have to build your team to win your conference.  Mussman thought the best way to do it was through the air.  Bubba seems to think the best way to do it is on the ground.

Agreed - but so far we are moving no one off the line of scrimmage - either we need a serious talent upgrade or we need to rethink our plans.  The last two gameplans reek of stubbornness. 

Edited by Irish
misspelling
  • Upvote 1

i respect your football knowledge and think you are somewhat of a program insider but I have to ask - how in the wild wild world of sports has the line play progressed?  This is the worst line push I have ever seen and our play selection is nothing to write home about either.  Adjustments - ha, what adjustments.  It's like Bubba  got the coaches together and said "this is what Bubba ball is - dominant running game, great line play, and possession football. Now don't bother me, I'm off to worry about the defensive front 7. Let me know how things work out.".  

They progressed last year, a lot. That's why I'm saying they should this year as well. Should being the key. And by adjustments I'm talking purely personel.

If we see another 4 offensive quarters like the last 6, we really have to start questioning everybody on the offensive side of the ball, including the coaches.  I really hope we turn it around so that we don't have to go there, but man I just get pissed when I think how bad we've looked for 6 quarters.  2nd half verses Drake excuse = we let up.  4 quarters against NDSU = they are a really good defense and we played poorly.  Those are the excuses that can be used.  No more excuses going forward!!  Look like something that resembles an FCS offense!! Figure it out!!

They progressed last year, a lot. That's why I'm saying they should this year as well. Should being the key. And by adjustments I'm talking purely personel.

From your perspective, what do you think the rest of the season holds for the O line and the offense in general?  Are we just a few improvements away or do you think this is a fundamental problem that will stick with us?

The UND offense is predictable. There. I said it. 

The offense Roger Thomas ran is alive and well under Bubba. Nothing has changed. Thomas, Lennon, Mussman, Schweigert. Yeah, Mussman too. Mussman's was the same play book as the rest, but running exclusively what Lennon would run down 10+ points. 

Don't believe me?

First down? B gap left. Second and eight. Thomas era; Lennon era; Mussman era (out of the pistol); now Schweigert era.

When your offense is predictable it's easy to predict (Capt. Obvious) and defend. Toss in a porous offensive line and it's a disaster. 

If you want to play FCS ball, you need an FCS offense, not a rehashed DII offense. To play FCS ball you have to be serious about recruiting and developing offensive linemen that just might be able to play on Sunday. Our offensive line still looked, played, and reacted slow, like a DII line. 

Sure, we want to be big and mean and plow, but you need to also be fast at the FCS level or you'll get beat through the gaps and around the outside too (see: Saturday). 

If we're going to be FCS let's start thinking FCS and playing like FCS. That starts up front. 

• Upvote 4

From your perspective, what do you think the rest of the season holds for the O line and the offense in general?  Are we just a few improvements away or do you think this is a fundamental problem that will stick with us?

I'm not an expert at all with OL. I know that things can just click out of nowhere because chemistry is huge with that unit. My one observation is that I don't think that group is playing mean enough. We need at least one guy to be the bad guy out there and start mauling people. I'd like to see our guys playing to the echo of the whistle and even getting a personal foul here and there for being too physical, nothing dirty obviously, but just letting it be known that they are not to be messed with. In my opinion Boas is just not the answer at center. I've wanted to see either Aplin or Cox in there, preferably Aplin because of his mean streak and athleticism. 

I'm not an expert at all with OL. I know that things can just click out of nowhere because chemistry is huge with that unit. My one observation is that I don't think that group is playing mean enough. We need at least one guy to be the bad guy out there and start mauling people. I'd like to see our guys playing to the echo of the whistle and even getting a personal foul here and there for being too physical, nothing dirty obviously, but just letting it be known that they are not to be messed with. In my opinion Boas is just not the answer at center. I've wanted to see either Aplin or Cox in there, preferably Aplin because of his mean streak and athleticism. 

Colton Boas has never been the answer. He can't move at all. If a DT is lines up directly in front of him, he might have a chance to get his hands on, but if the DT is shaded either way even right on his shoulder, he is not athletic enough or quick enough off the ball to be able to reach that guy, which means instant penetration. I agree throw Aplin in there. Colton is only in their because that's Knauf's guy, he probably wants to prove he knows how to recruit lineman. Which doesn't seem to be because Colton sucks, one of his lineman is now a fullback, Traylor won't be ready for a couple years. I don't know how the newest O Line recruits look but man Knauf..your not doin too hot. And by the way we all can now realize how bad Wyoming actually was. Great that we got our First FBS win but no one especially the O Line and the coaching staff deserve high praise for that, especially since the next two weeks we saw a much different team. 

Mussmans teams had better offenses.

Mussmans team had better offenses than a lot of people during his good years. That being said, he didn't bring any kind of philosophy to the game -- 'Chuck the Pigskin' comes to mind, perhaps. He didn't win games, get to the playoffs (or field playoff-calibre teams) and certainly didn't win championships (conference or otherwise).

Unless you'd rather have Mussman at the helm, which I seriously doubt, I don't see the point of bringing him up.

Here is Chip Kelly's analysis of the Eagles' after Sunday's game with the Cowboys.........

As for the running game, which is the foundation of Kelly's offensive approach, the offensive line has been the primary problem. The Eagles gained only 7 rushing yards Sunday.  But asked specifically about changes to his offensive line, Kelly said he would stand pat.  "The personnel is good enough," Kelly said. "The execution isn't. ... We're not putting together a plan that's good enough for us to execute offensively. Because we're not executing it. That falls on the coaching staff on the offensive side of the ball."

This is exactly how I feel about our team.  The personnel is good enough.  The coaching staff, especially the OC, has fallen flat the last six quarters. 

Colton Boas has never been the answer. He can't move at all. If a DT is lines up directly in front of him, he might have a chance to get his hands on, but if the DT is shaded either way even right on his shoulder, he is not athletic enough or quick enough off the ball to be able to reach that guy, which means instant penetration. I agree throw Aplin in there. Colton is only in their because that's Knauf's guy, he probably wants to prove he knows how to recruit lineman. Which doesn't seem to be because Colton sucks, one of his lineman is now a fullback, Traylor won't be ready for a couple years. I don't know how the newest O Line recruits look but man Knauf..your not doin too hot. And by the way we all can now realize how bad Wyoming actually was. Great that we got our First FBS win but no one especially the O Line and the coaching staff deserve high praise for that, especially since the next two weeks we saw a much different team. 

One of his guys switched to fullback because of bad knees and he had to drop weight, that's not on Knaupf.  It's a bit early to toss him under the boss. Is he Rod Carey? Probably not. But he's better than our last OL coach. Our crew is very young, that can't be overlooked.

My "frustrated relative of player who isn't getting a fair shake" radar is pinging loudly right now.  Speaking of which, what happened to 'Sioux Nation'?  Ever since Casey Young quit he hasn't been around much.  :silly:

The UND offense is predictable. There. I said it. 

The offense Roger Thomas ran is alive and well under Bubba. Nothing has changed. Thomas, Lennon, Mussman, Schweigert. Yeah, Mussman too. Mussman's was the same play book as the rest, but running exclusively what Lennon would run down 10+ points. 

Don't believe me?

First down? B gap left. Second and eight. Thomas era; Lennon era; Mussman era (out of the pistol); now Schweigert era.

When your offense is predictable it's easy to predict (Capt. Obvious) and defend. Toss in a porous offensive line and it's a disaster. 

If you want to play FCS ball, you need an FCS offense, not a rehashed DII offense. To play FCS ball you have to be serious about recruiting and developing offensive linemen that just might be able to play on Sunday. Our offensive line still looked, played, and reacted slow, like a DII line. 

Sure, we want to be big and mean and plow, but you need to also be fast at the FCS level or you'll get beat through the gaps and around the outside too (see: Saturday). 

If we're going to be FCS let's start thinking FCS and playing like FCS. That starts up front. 

Didn't a "D-2" offense take NDSU behind the woodshed?

One of his guys switched to fullback because of bad knees and he had to drop weight, that's not on Knaupf.  It's a bit early to toss him under the boss. Is he Rod Carey? Probably not. But he's better than our last OL coach. Our crew is very young, that can't be overlooked.

Coach Knauf is no way better then Coach Cunningham, Coach Lotysz, or Mussman when he worked with the O line. He is very far from Coach Cary. We'll see how this year turns out with the O line. If their is no improvement all the fingers should be pointed at Knauf. And in my opinion the coaching staff last year finally realized that they should give Jer carries and not waste his talent. That was the improvement not so much the o line it was the same o line. They just found a back that could actually make people miss not a linebacker or Simmons who was strictly north south. 

My "frustrated relative of player who isn't getting a fair shake" radar is pinging loudly right now.  Speaking of which, what happened to 'Sioux Nation'?  Ever since Casey Young quit he hasn't been around much.  :silly:

haha definitely not a relative of anyone. Just someone who knows a thing or two and want to keep it Real, hence the name 

• Downvote 1

Let's not make this too complicated. If you're going to base the offense on running the football, you have to have a good offensive line. Right now, UND has a poor to below average offensive line. 

"Trying the same thing over and over again and expecting different results is the definition of insanity."

It may be time to try new players. Insert Cox into either Boas or Miller's spot and perhaps even think about playing Elijah Grady. It's may be time to replace the "hogs" who simply don't fit the mold as far as a smashmouth DI offense goes.

If UND's offensive lineup goes unchanged and predictably struggles on Saturday, I'll be disappointed in the coaching staff's inability to make adjustments. Fortunately, UND may be able to keep their offensive unit intact and still be effective, because UC Davis won't be like NDSU's defense. With that said, Drake wasn't supposed to be that effective defensively either...

Point blank..........the players on offense are not as inept as a collective group as they have shown in the last 6 quarters.  IMO a vast majority of what is going on offensively falls on the coaching staff with the OC at the top of the list.

It may be time to try new players. Insert Cox into either Boas or Miller's spot and perhaps even think about playing Elijah Grady. It's may be time to replace the "hogs" who simply don't fit the mold as far as a smashmouth DI offense goes.

I believe this is exactly what you'll see, starting today.

• Downvote 1