SiouxSports.com Forum

Evan Holm

jon28

You just don't see white corners at the FBS level. That's a good thing for us in this situation.

You don't see a lot of black goalies in D-1 hockey either, but if a black goalie was Mr. Hockey in Minnesota you'd see a lot of D-1 schools recruit him. 

That's quite a bit different though. Actually, it's totally different. 

Same theory different sport.  If a player is good people are going to recruit them. People may shy away cause of height or speed not because of the color of thier skin. In this case if speed is a concern they'll convert him to safety. 

• Upvote 1

Yes, statistically you are right. Most corners are black in FBS.  I'm saying is talent is talent regardless of skin color. FBS coaches take most Mr. Football's.  

NDSU has gotten 2 or 3 MN Mr. Football's in the last 5 or 6 years.  Maybe FBS schools think he is a step slow to play CB, which is good for UND. My guess you have nothing to worry about if G5 schools come knocking. i think he realizes that isn't much of a step up. The only ones I would worry about is if the Gophers or Badgers come to their senses. He looks like a good get for Bubba.

The last few MN Mr. Football winners are:

• 2014 - Robbie Grimsley - NDSU Free Safety
  • 2013 - Jeff Jones - U of M WR
  • 2012 - Bridgeport Tusler - 1 year at SDSU, now at DIII Bethel University - RB
  • 2011 - Phillip Nelson - Former U of M, Rutgers, now South Alabama QB
  • 2010 - Peter Westerhaus - U of M LB Diagnosed with ulcerative colitis in 2013 and is listed on the roster, but will not play and did not see action
  • 2009 - Zach Vraa - NDSU WR
  • 2008 - Varmah Sonie - Northern Iowa DB - Signed by the Cleveland Browns in February, waived in May of this year. Spent 2014 playing for the Portland Thunder.

So... Mr. Football is certainly no guarantee of FBS status, and really no guarantee of college success at any level - at least lately.

it's a good thing he's white

What?  this does a lot to your credibility on any blog.

Let's not get hypersensitive here.  I took it as a little tongue in cheek but based off current dogma.  Not a big deal.  I chuckled about it.  I hope the kid has a smoking year and follows thru with his commitment.

In any sport, or profession, at any level, awards can go to people's heads.  Sometimes a MR Football has a had time becoming just one of the guys and waiting his turn in line to play.  Sometimes it is the player, or employee, you just take a chance on that outshines everyone. Just life!

A Mr. Football would be a great addition but then many students are!

The last few MN Mr. Football winners are:

• 2014 - Robbie Grimsley - NDSU Free Safety
  • 2013 - Jeff Jones - U of M WR
  • 2012 - Bridgeport Tusler - 1 year at SDSU, now at DIII Bethel University - RB
  • 2011 - Phillip Nelson - Former U of M, Rutgers, now South Alabama QB
  • 2010 - Peter Westerhaus - U of M LB Diagnosed with ulcerative colitis in 2013 and is listed on the roster, but will not play and did not see action
  • 2009 - Zach Vraa - NDSU WR
  • 2008 - Varmah Sonie - Northern Iowa DB - Signed by the Cleveland Browns in February, waived in May of this year. Spent 2014 playing for the Portland Thunder.

So... Mr. Football is certainly no guarantee of FBS status, and really no guarantee of college success at any level - at least lately.

I wanted to refresh my memory about the Philip Nelson story, so I looked around a little bit. Looks like he never really got a shot with South Alabama, but he's now a walk-on at East Carolina. 

http://www.cbssports.com/collegefootball/eye-on-college-football/25262618/ex-minnesota-rutgers-qb-philip-nelson-walks-on-at-east-carolina