SiouxSports.com Forum

NCAA To Sanction UND if School Does Not Adopt New Nickname

Benny Baker

No sanctions will be handed to UND if fans wear Fighting Sioux gear ONLY if UND gets a nickname. If UND goes without one and someone complains ( And you know they will) about fans dressing in Fighting Sioux gear then the NCAA will hand down sanctions. To sum it up: get a nickname and the NCAA is off our backs, go without a nickname and you are playing with fire.

Bottom line for the no nickame crowd, if you truly don't want harm done to UND, go along with an actual nickname change.  

Then, wear your Sioux gear at games knowing that UND is in the clear from sanctions.  

Wow, its been two, three days since you two wrote this nauseating......! I was worried some of us, "not as smart as you people" may have forgot about the doom and gloom chance in hell.....thank you!

Wow, its been two, three days since you two wrote this nauseating......! I was worried some of us, "not as smart as you people" may have forgot about the doom and gloom chance in hell.....thank you!

You are very welcome.  

I always treasure the moments when I am able to help the unfortunate that never attended the University of North Dakota.  

Bottom line for the no nickame crowd, if you truly don't want harm done to UND, go along with an actual nickname change.  

Then, wear your Sioux gear at games knowing that UND is in the clear from sanctions.  

Does it have to be Sioux gear or can we stage other noble protests?

i_love_my_ermine_tshirt-r529569995a364c4

Edited by UNDErmines
  • Downvote 2

I never thought about this before. but the ideal solution at this point would be to go with the "UND Mascots", and then change mascots every year.  One year it could be an ermine, and the next it could be a frost giant, and then next could be a woolly mammoth, and so on.  Fans could then show their support by wearing mascots from different years, and it would sow great confusion among the enemies as well as selling lots of merchandise.  It would give the cheerleaders and marching bands fresh material to work with every year, and it would be great fun for the fans.  You'd be in the stands and you'd see someone with a "Homesteader" logo, and you'd say, "Oh, the 2021 season, right?"  It would be a blast.

Another poster (they can "out" themselves if they so choose) pointed this out to me:

We're running with an unofficial statement (unvetted by UND attorneys) from a UND official from an unnamed NCAA source. Presumably that unnamed NCAA source wasn't reading an official statement or else that official statement would've been turned over by UND (as they should have a copy from the NCAA). 

Do we really have anything more than we did two weeks ago? ???

So what would happen if UND adopted a new nickname and that fans refused to use it? Even with a new nickname you will see a ton of sioux jerseys in every crowd and saying sioux after the national anthem will not go away.

what is the ncaa going to do about that? Sanction UND because the fans won't adopt a new nickname? I'm tire of hearing all this nonsense out of the administration. I can't wait til Kelley leaves. He did have some questionable statements at the summer commencement. 

They're not going to do anything about it.

C'mon sky, the schoolyard stuff is beneath you. The "you think you're smarter than me" tactic doesn't work after elementary school. I know you have better game than that. 

Form a logical argument why you think darrell, Hayduke, or I are wrong and blow us up. 

C'mon sky, the schoolyard stuff is beneath you. The "you think you're smarter than me" tactic doesn't work after elementary school. I know you have better game than that. 

Form a logical argument why you think darrell, Hayduke, or I are wrong and blow us up. 

Seriously? You want to go over this for tenth gazillion ith time? Note my non-UND education problem there? I don't want to Sic, I respect yours and their views on it, and understand why you think that way, but I don't agree with it. I have shared why I don't believe it! But I also don't write it on here over and over and over and over! That's all I was saying, love to see different views show up and read them, but to see the same no guarantee to happen doom and gloom copied and pasted every other post is a little too much...peace.

• Upvote 1

If Datmouth students wear Dartmouth Indians gear (some do) are they going to get sanctioned by the NCAA? Also at Marquette there were people wearing an Indian headdress along with Warrior gear and the NCAA has done nothing to that school and why....THEY HAVE A NICKNAME.

Another poster (they can "out" themselves if they so choose) pointed this out to me:

We're running with an unofficial statement (unvetted by UND attorneys) from a UND official from an unnamed NCAA source. Presumably that unnamed NCAA source wasn't reading an official statement or else that official statement would've been turned over by UND (as they should have a copy from the NCAA). 

Do we really have anything more than we did two weeks ago? ???

Good point.  Appears all we have is rumors and speculation.  Sure would be nice to get an official statement from Roberto sometime before Christmas. 

Good point.  Appears all we have is rumors and speculation.  Sure would be nice to get an official statement from Roberto sometime before Christmas. 

Don't hold your breath on this...Robrto will be laying low until he finally announces that he will NOT allow North Dakota as a nickname choice then ride out the storm until his retirement in December.

Just receive an email from the incoming student body president putting out a survey for the students asking should North Dakota/no nickname be back on the list for consideration for a final nickname.  These results will be shown to President Kelley after the survey has been closed (which closes on Thursday).

Doesn't take a brain surgeon to know how the students will voice their opinion on this issue. 

Just receive an email from the incoming student body president putting out a survey for the students asking should North Dakota/no nickname be back on the list for consideration for a final nickname.  These results will be shown to President Kelley after the survey has been closed (which closes on Thursday).

Doesn't take a brain surgeon to know how the students will voice their opinion on this issue. 

Will this survey have any impact on the final ballot choices?  Kelley has already said he would consider putting North Dakota back on the ballot.  Will this make him STRONGLY consider putting North Dakota on the ballot? (assuming that's the way the students vote)

Will this survey have any impact on the final ballot choices?  Kelley has already said he would consider putting North Dakota back on the ballot.  Will this make him STRONGLY consider putting North Dakota on the ballot? (assuming that's the way the students vote)

"I strenuously object?  Is that how it's done? Hmm?  Objection, your Honor! Overruled.  No, no. I STRENUOUSLY object. Oh! You strenuously object. Then I'll take some time and reconsider."

• Upvote 3

Didn't 3 of 4 students on the nickname committee vote to remove that option? 

Is it just a 1 question survey or are there multiple questions and ability to add comments?

Is it just a 1 question survey or are there multiple questions and ability to add comments?

1 question.  A Yes, No, Not sure are the option.  No comments but can email for concerns. Strictly to ask should North Dakota/no nickname be added to the list of considered nicknames.  Nothing else about the other 5

Edited by SWSiouxMN