SiouxSports.com Forum

NCAA To Sanction UND if School Does Not Adopt New Nickname

Benny Baker

Again:Yesterday: Not a legitimate media source! Complete garbage!
Today: See, they get it!

Yup, I'm happy for the about-face.  Take a cue and put your "urban legend" to rest.  There's no reason for you to stay in the anti-North Dakota/UND crowd since you like hanging around a North Dakota/UND message board.

Yup, I'm happy for the about-face.  Take a cue and put your "urban legend" to rest.  There's no reason for you to stay in the anti-North Dakota/UND crowd since you like hanging around a North Dakota/UND message board.

Amusing, but not surprising, to see it takes so little for you to go back on your convictions.

Almost as funny as calling out people who's names have been on donor, Champions Club, season ticket lists, donating both time and money, before the mess started an will be long after its over.  Unfortunately the same can't be said for the "no-nickname" crowd who is led by individuals who keep threatening to quit supporting the University and student-athletes if they don't get their way (which is a riot because the majority of those names wouldn't show up on any of the previously mentioned lists).  But keep trying to peddle your wares, I'm sure you'll find a few buyers eventually.  People who are ready to drop their support over a nickname are definitely the pro-UND crowd. :silly:

Incorrect.  As a team name used to introduce our teams for the last 2.5 years, I am factually correct.  Nice try green arrow...

They haven't been the University of North Dakota's representative, with an associated nickname, since inception?

And that's "The Spectre". It's fitting, because we keep living under the specter of the old nickname around here. That's why I chose it. 

Fair enough, I know as a Veteran, a pro 2nd Amendment and pro-defense person no one in the DNC supports my points of view. There are no more Reagan Democrats. I read a lot, research the issues. Honestly, I have spent more time on Netflix than I have the political blogs and news channels. 

Like I said, I am disgusted with both parties, but I am more upset with the current GOP Leadership. I think they're failures. 

Finally, I would be willing to bet that I am not the only straight ticket voter here. There are probably more of them than you think. 

Sounds like you and I would get along real well!  Well, except for your last line ;)

Being North Dakota is not unique. It's a state name. "We are one, we are North Dakota" should be used by the state tourism agency. 

I believe the ND tourism dept. prefers to use slogans that refer to cowboys from the desert southwest who volunteered for the Spanish American War.  

I believe the ND tourism dept. prefers to use slogans that refer to cowboys from the desert southwest who volunteered for the Spanish American War.  

Like the Roughrider state?  Naming a state university after a state nickname, there is an idea.

Fatigue is a terrible reason to lose a fight. Calling something 'not unique' because it hasn't been done before (white sox example) is terrible logic. There is only one North Dakota. North Dakota has never been presented as a future option, and so a full effort has not been put together to sell it to stakeholders. Where have the "we are North Dakota" ads gone now? Why have they stopped. Propaganda to move on.

Edited by ClassB
fixed typo

Fatigue is a terrible reason to lose a fight. Calling something 'not unique' because it hasn't been done before (white sox example) is terrible logic. There is only one North Dakota. North Dakota has never been presented as a future option, and so a full effort has not been put together to sell it to stakeholders. Where have the "we are North Dakota" ads gone now? Why have they stopped. Propaganda to move on.

Or the 3 year "cool down" period is up and the intention all along after that "cool down" period was to select a replacement nickname for the Fighting Sioux.  Perhaps that is why the "we are North Dakota" has stopped.  However, the University hasn't completely dropped calling themselves North Dakota in its marketing efforts so there is not the propaganda you hope is there.

Gee, did you happen to love the Sioux nickname?  I can't tell.   :silly:

• Downvote 1

This thread gives me fatigue...the same people rehashing the same arguments...quite a schism of fans we got going here; Sioux Forever, No Nicknamers, North Dakota/UND only, New Nicknamers/Pro Change (sorry if I left some out)...throw in the usual trolls and idiots and it makes for some real interesting reading. :(

Are you really upset that they aren't solely using a slogan that is 5+ years old?  Normally the UND Athletics Marketing gets called out for not being creative, but now this is a new one.  They continue to do the best they can with "North Dakota", which is obviously like working with one hand tied behind their back, but they aren't going to continue to use a single catch phrase as the main marketing slogan year after year.

The yard signs continue to say "North Dakota" on them so I guess you can be happy about that. 

Fatigue is a terrible reason to lose a fight. 

Friend, the first knock down and standing eight of the fight was August 5, 2005. The fight was stopped by the referee (TKO) in 2011. Everyone was sent to their corners until 2015.  

Fighting after the bell is unsportsmanlike. 

Edited by The Sicatoka
  • Upvote 2

Calling something 'not unique' because it hasn't been done before (white sox example) is terrible logic. 

I'll grant you that part. 

However, if "no nickname" is so smart, so great, so marketable, why hasn't it been done before by the great sports marketeers of history. (See: Bill Veeck, et al) 

Lets turn the conversation to this scenario.

Lets say sometime next week (hopefully) Kelley finally makes a decision.  Let's play these three out.

1) He will allow UND/no nickname back on the list, and it wins the final vote

2) He will allow UND/no nickname back on the list, but loses the final vote

3) He will not allow UND/no nickname back on the list

My belief is that we will be just North Dakota... for this year.  Next year (16-17)... I have no idea.