SiouxSports.com Forum

NCAA To Sanction UND if School Does Not Adopt New Nickname

Benny Baker

We get it.  When you can't come up with an actual thought out response to direct a question, type the same thing you just did and pretend you didn't see it.

We get it.  You pessimistically make the worst assumptions you can, just like you did about the settlement agreement, because your anti-North Dakota/UND.

• Upvote 2

North Dakota is already the name of the school.  You can always support that.  Whether it by be your cheers at games, your apparel, whatever.  If people truly want to be North Dakota, then they already have what they are wanting.  Picking a new nickname will give those that want UND to move on from all this a name as well.  So if you want to just refer to UND as North Dakota, you can.  If you want to refer to UND by their new nickname ou can as well.

• Upvote 2

North Dakota is already the name of the school.  You can always support that.  Whether it by be your cheers at games, your apparel, whatever.  If people truly want to be North Dakota, then they already have what they are wanting.  Picking a new nickname will give those that want UND to move on from all this a name as well.  So if you want to just refer to UND as North Dakota, you can.  If you want to refer to UND by their new nickname ou can as well.

Good point.  I like Roughriders, but I do cringe at the thought of UND being called Fighting Hawks or Sundogs even though I could still call them North Dakota/UND.

Good point.  I like Roughriders, but I do cringe at the thought of UND being called Fighting Hawks or Sundogs even though I could still call them North Dakota/UND.

I do think it will be Roughriders in the end. Kelley will want to pacify his critics and not cause another uproar by picking Sun Dogs. As we have seen, he doesn't handle public pressure very well.

OK, so you are indifferent to the old Sioux name and long ago accepted that it's gone.  What is the problem then?  

I am still waiting to hear what these brand new, shiny nicknames are that everyone is going to agree upon 2-3 years from now?

Artic raptors

• Upvote 1

I've personally grown accustomed to it over the past three years.  I do personally think its unique and inclusive of our state's residents and alumni.  I've enjoyed sports commentators who simply refer to UND as "North Dakota" or the like as opposed to a potential nickname, like Fighting Hawks, that an average viewer may not associate with our state or university.  I personally like UND/North Dakota better than the other five options, and I personally believe that a majority of "stakeholders" agree with me.

I might be wrong, but let's put it to a vote and see.

Exactly.  It's one of the options that a significant # of the "stakeholders" want.  It should be on the ballot, accordingly.   I find it remarkable how some on this board think the selection of a nickname to move forward simply for the sake of moving forward is going to resolve the issue, especially where the most popular option (arguably) is purposefully withheld from consideration.  As I've said, I'd prefer to stay "North Dakota" in perpetuity.  However, many of the proposed names that were summarily dropped were far better than the 5 deadbeats that have been retained. 

• Upvote 2

http://www.grandforksherald.com/opinion/letters/3820659-letter-rancor-suggests-nickname-choice-should-be-delayed

LOL.  Another guy who thinks we are "rushing" the process.  It's only been 4 years since we used the Sioux name last and now we are supposed to all the sudden "slow down" and unite.  

The nickname committee started in March and 6 months later we are only down to 5 names.  That isn't slow enough for him after 5 years of knowing the name is gone?

• Upvote 2

We have been North Dakota for the last 2.5 years and it hasn't caused any outbursts or complaints from schools we have in our conferences, so how would it do so if it was chosen as the permanent replacement?  I think the answer is it won't and the whiners on this board can't handle it...Oh by the way, I have both Sioux and ND interlocking logos on my tailgating bus for Football and on my hockey and baseball jerseys - how does that fit your narrative?

• Upvote 4

We have been North Dakota for the last 2.5 years and it hasn't caused any outbursts or complaints from schools we have in our conferences, so how would it do so if it was chosen as the permanent replacement?  I think the answer is it won't and the whiners on this board can't handle it...Oh by the way, I have both Sioux and ND interlocking logos on my tailgating bus for Football and on my hockey and baseball jerseys - how does that fit your narrative?

It wouldn't and has nothing to do with what we are talking about.  What are you even trying to say?

No new nickname is good enough for you?

Unfortunately, I feel there would be more than a few hockey fans that would gladly sign up for that option.  Hockey stays D1 and name stays Sioux, rest of the sports to NAIA.  

And this is the biggest problem UND athletics has right now because it's the hardest to fix.

Edited by fightingsioux4life

But nobody cares if people complain about FSU or CMU or Utah.  

I wouldn't be so sure. Look what the Democratic senators have done to the Redskins. I think it's a matter of time before the approved teams are under fire, too.

The Senate's top Democrat renewed his crusade against the Washington Redskins, using time on the Senate floor Tuesday morning to decry the team's name as "racist" and to mock National Football League officials for sanctioning the Super Bowl champion New England Patriots over the use of deflated footballs without addressing the Redskins name.

"The Redskins name is a racist name," Harry Reid (D-Nev.) said, opening his customary morning remarks with football as the chamber takes up closely watched international trade legislation. (Linky)

I wouldn't be so sure. Look what the Democratic senators have done to the Redskins. I think it's a matter of time before the approved teams are under fire, too.

One reason I will never vote for a Democrat again in my life -- ever.  Somehow, I voted for Al Franken and Tim Walz in 2008 and we're all experiencing the fallout inflicted by these clowns now. 

One reason I will never vote for a Democrat again in my life -- ever.  Somehow, I voted for Al Franken and Tim Walz in 2008 and we're all experiencing the fallout inflicted by these clowns now. 

I vote straight ticket Republican. Every democrat I have ever voted for ended up in jail or in some kind of legal trouble.  

I vote straight ticket Republican. Every democrat I have ever voted for ended up in jail or in some kind of legal trouble.  

If you guys let a party, rather than quality of the person, determine who you vote for...  I can't even... 

SMH. [/POLITICS]

If you guys let a party, rather than quality of the person, determine who you vote for...  I can't even... 

SMH. [/POLITICS]

I am disgusted with both parties. Especially, the Establishment RINO's. I wonder if you write that statement for the people that vote straight ticket democrat? I know many that do. 

Edited by Goon

I am disgusted with both parties. Especially, the Establishment RINO's. I wonder if you write that statement for the people that vote straight ticket democrat? 

I would write that to anyone - there are too many idiots on both sides of the aisle.  I'm thoroughly confused by people who vote straight down the line.  Honestly, I can't believe a single person would vote for some of these candidates, regardless of party affiliation.  It's almost like, "You've got a nut!  What do you mean we've got one, too? Our nut isn't as nuts as your nut!"

I would write that to anyone - there are too many idiots on both sides of the aisle.  I'm thoroughly confused by people who vote straight down the line.  Honestly, I can't believe a single person would vote for some of these candidates, regardless of party affiliation.  It's almost like, "You've got a nut!  What do you mean we've got one, too? Our nut isn't as nuts as your nut!"

But the real, important question is: where do they stand on the nickname issue? :wink: