SiouxSports.com Forum

UND logo process too long

The Sicatoka

PS - If UND hadn't released the raw, unadulterated lists, you folks would be screaming FOIA and cover-up. Again, you're playing both sides. And it's quite beneath you. 

This point especially needs to be repeated.

• Upvote 2

And I stayed away from this

... the North Dakota Legislature might have done a better job. UND likely would have a new moniker by now had lawmakers taken up the task.

... until now. 

The Forum editorial board really believes that the Legislature, that couldn't get it done in Indianapolis in face-to-face meetings with the NCAA, who are the ones who instigated the ridiculous "cooling off period", the same folks who adjourned before dealing with a bill on state employee health benefits so they could avoid immediate controversy and yet go to special session (another "committee formed" anyone?), would be doing any better?  

The track record clearly indicates otherwise. 

my "SNAP" moment came about a month ago when a GF fishwrap reporterette....I'll call her A.B. :whistling:  put out a call for "FIGHTING SIOUX FANS SHOW YOUR PRIDE!" - essentially a "send in your pics" and tell us your story of why you're so "proud" of the old name.   Talk about ripping a bandaid off an old wound - JUST to sell papers and irritate people while the new nickname search is going on.  I was furious!   I sent an email calling her on it - sincerely asking how this crap was really a "journalistic" endeavor?  No reply (shocker) but the actual article was pretty lame and went nowhere afterwards...SOMEONE had a slightly guilty conscience of putting out this slop instead of being a real professional journalist and digging into all sides.

I'm hoping you're reading this A.B....you're better than that!! 

I'd bet money the story idea came from those higher up than her (maybe even down south) she's just the one that has to do the dirty work.

What I would like to see is an expose on the Native American Center at UND - the relationship between the Chippewa and the Lakota Sioux students, the center's unwelcome attitude toward those who don't agree with their stance on issues etc. There are Lakota Sioux who support the nickname but if you do you aren't welcome at the Center - how does that work for what is supposed to be a center for all Native Americans? 

my "SNAP" moment came about a month ago when a GF fishwrap reporterette....I'll call her A.B. :whistling: put out a call for "FIGHTING SIOUX FANS SHOW YOUR PRIDE!" - essentially a "send in your pics" and tell us your story of why you're so "proud" of the old name. Talk about ripping a bandaid off an old wound - JUST to sell papers and irritate people while the new nickname search is going on. I was furious! I sent an email calling her on it - sincerely asking how this crap was really a "journalistic" endeavor? No reply (shocker) but the actual article was pretty lame and went nowhere afterwards...SOMEONE had a slightly guilty conscience of putting out this slop instead of being a real professional journalist and digging into all sides.

I'm hoping you're reading this A.B....you're better than that!!

I couldn't agree more with this! Why doesn't she take on the challenge of the Sioux were silenced people about the name?

That would be journalism...