SiouxSports.com Forum

Solutions

tboneund

Some people in section 106, I think, start Let's Go Sioux chant about once or twice a game. So while not alot, the general public does start some cheers.

Assuming that the students try to do meetings again like they did a couple years ago, what is a good way to get the general public involved? I think one of the reasons it didn't work last time was that the general public was never involved really. Missing 1/3 of the equation won't make it very likely to suceed.

• Replies 56
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

As a season ticket holder, former student, and a kid that sat on the steps during the early 80's, I have a solution for a protest. You don't need petitions, you need to hit them where it hurts the most - the wallet. I think student should continue to attend the game and cheer as loudly as you can for our Sioux, but let's not spend any money while we are there. Eat and drink before and after the game, but not at the Ralph. Your student tickets are only $5, but the money the students spend on concessions is what will hurt the most. If 2500 students don't spend a dime at the Ralph you will get there attention! 2500 X $0 = $0 and $0 will get their attention more that any petition would.

I'm not a student but I do hold 4 season tickets in the upper bowl. Most of us hate that the students are being taken out of the game. If you don't hate it then you know jack about college hockey. People should know they are going to a college hockey game and the fans are supposed to be rowdy, stand, chant, cheer, and occasionally swear (YOU ARE NOT GOING TO MOVIE). If you don't like it don't go. In fact please go be a gopher fan. I'm sure a real fan will be more than happy to purchase your ticket. I MISS THE OLD REA!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Fan behavior was a major subject at the NCAA convention in Nashville last month. Notice how this comes up now at UND, Michigan, Michigan State, Maryland, etc., right after that convention?

You can blame Dr. Kupchella. He's just the messenger, as is Roger Thomas.

Dr. Miles Brand, president of the NCAA, is the guy you want to talk to.

Fan behavior was a major subject at the NCAA convention in Nashville last month. Notice how this comes up now at UND, Michigan, Michigan State, Maryland, etc., right after that convention?

You can blame Dr. Kupchella. He's just the messenger, as is Roger Thomas.

Dr. Miles Brand, president of the NCAA, is the guy you want to talk to.

We're not blaming people per say, we're pissed at Kupchella at the way he messengered it. RT chose a professional way to tell the students, while CK just went off on us, without giving us any positive feedback.

Students being watched like hawks = no atmosphere.

Zack Parise: "They're just totally ruining our game."

These players know the controversies that are going on. It not only affects the fans but the players as well. It's all a mindset, and the students know they aren't appreciated right now. They go from the old arena with half the arena students standing, yelling to 1/4 of that in the lower bowl, forced to sit, and forced to watch everything they say including "butt." Two securities guards also came over to us when we said "who's he, he sucks."

Some people in section 106, I think, start Let's Go Sioux chant about once or twice a game.  So while not alot, the general public does start some cheers.

Assuming that the students try to do meetings again like they did a couple years ago, what is a good way to get the general public involved?  I think one of the reasons it didn't work last time was that the general public was never involved really.  Missing 1/3 of the equation won't make it very likely to suceed.

Right on Diggler!

I'd love it if a couple public forums were held so that everyone could get together and come up with some solutions. If the people on this board can come to and agreement on certain cheers to be used at certain times I would be more than happy to write a letter and submitt it to the Herald and Dakota Student...heck even to the Forum in Fargo. Hopefully enough people would see it to at least begin to change things.

It will take time, more than we have left this season, but eventually I think we can get most of the Ralph rockin'...or at least the portion that truely bleeds green!

I like the "Who's he, He sucks" or "Who's he, Who Cares" for the opening line up.

Just curious, what happens to people like myself who sit in 105 if the students get moved there?

The real solution for students is to make a stand now (no pun intended). This is a slippery slope. If the students start giving in and compromising, they will all be gone. My question is this, everyone blames Kupchella, but how much power does he have when it comes to REA. I thought REA is kind of their own separate entity. In my opinion, the powers that be would like to replace student ticket holders with regular season ticket holders. Think about it, $20+ per seat brings in more revenue than $5 a seat.

I know I sound pessimistic but ever since the new REA was built, the greed has made me sick.

I don't like the name Marriucci West but when it comes to ticket and concession prices it is quite accurate.

The letter said that anyone swearing will be tossed and have their tickets revoked. The only way to get your tickets back is getting permission from the President's Office. But like other's have said, it isn't that we blame Kupchella. We are just really mad about the way he handled the situation along with the way he handles everything at UND. The man is just plain and simple a jerk.

Students will never be completely kicked out of the arena. That just would not happen. Especially since they are doing what is being asked of them. Then again maybe I'm just being naive.

I would start off by directing a letter to your closest ally, Roger Thomas, to see if he can act as a go-between in your negotiations with Kupchella & to see if some reasonable middle-of-the-road compromise can be reached.

Not sure if he is still there, but Bob Boyd might be someone to get involved. He is the dean of students or student life or something like that.

So the students being in the corner makes the season tickets holders unhappy? Someone with the authority and ability needs to make a decision that is going to end up making either one side or the other unhappy. Students in the corner makes the most sense because there you can stand and not annoy anyone. I may be stating the obvious by saying that but it makes the most sense. It works perfectly at the the Gopher Hole.

Maybe another thing that would help the atmosphere is shut down one of the bars. It blows my mind that you would buy a ticket to a game and then go sit in the bar. You essentially are paying a cover charge to drink in a bar to watch the game on the big screen. Those bars on Saturday were completely packed.

Everyone needs to get over the fact that we all miss the old ralph!!!! things change and you move on and work on the new ralph..there will always be the hay days at the old ralph that we all love to remember and thats great.. thats all i hear is i miss the old ralph..OK. it will take time but what we have is like nothing in the world when it comes to a hockey facility college or pro.. Theres no replacement for the old ralph but we now have something twice the size and things will get better.. the sioux will be alright this year. just a few kinks here and there and we will end up ok!!!!! lets get the swagger back and rock the ralph for the that couple of games and the playoffs.......GO SIOUX!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Or King Blais himself. Blais has quite a bit of pull & he's probably not very satisfied with the way the students are being treated & having to play in a quiet arena.

I was thinking the same. Dean would have the most pull out of anyone. What would the admin do if he said he wanted the students to stand and he doesn't care who's view it blocks.

I was thinking the same. Dean would have the most pull out of anyone. What would the admin do if he said he wanted the students to stand and he doesn't care who's view it blocks.

CB is having problems coaching right now. Do we really want him distracted with this stuff? :)

OK, lets assume Blais says he wants the students to stand and while they are at it to swear like sailors on shore leave. So what? Blais can say that, but when REA/AD/whoever says "no, we still aren't gonna let them stand", what is Blais gonna do? Quit? :)

How about they put a video of the players or Blais on the big screen asking the fans to get more inovled or something? It seems like that would be simple and I'm pretty sure they would be for it. They obviously like it to be loud.

Here is my thirty cents, in part cut from another thread . . . .

Students should absolutely get to stand. They oughta have the entire side, from red line to red line. The season holders, if solid college hockey fans, should move upstairs. They are great sight lines. Most would probably like them better. To be fair to all the season types, do a new draw for the lower bowl, based either on seniority or blind draw. Damn, if only this had come up while Ralph was around.

Would he have seen it differently? Does The Ralph really need to worry about maximizing every dollar it can to the potential detriment to the college experience?

Heck no! Actually, why not just make the ENTIRE lower bowl stand. No different than a concert. It's really not that long a period of time. We can sit down BETWEEN periods. Folks who don't like it can be the ones who are asked to LEAVE! Those there to chat, climb social ladders, or to talk business can remain seated.

As for the swearing and the atmosphere in general, I have this to say . . . .

Although I have a bad habit of swearing myself (what self-respecting native does not?) I also believe that vulgarity is the lazy man's English. Surely we can come up with plenty of things that will both inspire and intimidate at The Ralph.

I have long advocated for the entire crowd belting the National Anthem with the guest singer. Notice how the guy on Saturday invited the "entire Red River Valley" to join him? By God, quite of few folks, maybe 1/4 us, did. By double damned God, you could hear us if you listened. Dimly. You could hear us enought to where the CC team stood frozen at attention for well past the end of the anthem, and even well past the Color Guard retiring. They was mesmerized, but fortunately for them we had Parise in the nets that night.

Imagine how cool it would be if 10,000 (granted, there are a number of folks who just plain cain't sing) fans sang our National Anthem! Mass participation. See Kohl Center. Students show the old folks their voices. Old folks show the students their voices. Pretty soon, we'll all be singing, chanting, and cheering together, and Dr. Kencake will get to both have his and eat it too.

Winners all the way around.

National Anthem. Why not start there? 'Specially in these times. We'd probably get national press. In fact, I guarantee it. I just might be a big shooter in the national press.

Now someone give me a hand as I get down from the box.

I'm gonna go enjoy the rest of the season, because the season is the reason . . .

NDH

ps. By the way, I think the " . . . . home of the SIOUX!!!" chant at the end of the anthem is demeaning to the brave, and just downright corny and stupid sounding.

Hardly clever either.

I despair of finding a consensus on the specifics of what's appropriate and what isn't. Someone call George Carlin and ask him to come up with "The 7 Dirty Words You Can't Say at the Ralph."

NorthDakotaHockey hates "home of the Sioux" at the end of the anthem, but that probably puts him in the minority of fans at the game since that yell booms around the arena. When I'm listening to away games on radio, that's how I know there's a green and white presence at the enemy arena. I'm not bothered by it but I can certainly understand the opposing viewpoint. But do I think the opposing viewpoint ought to quash those who, for what I'm sure are logical reasons, want to yell "Home of the Sioux"? No. Likewise, to those who don't want to yell that, I don't see anyone forcing those words from you.

I despair of finding a consensus on the specifics of what's appropriate and what isn't. Someone call George Carlin and ask him to come up with "The 7 Dirty Words You Can't Say at the Ralph."

I agree, I had trouble getting the "Separated at Birth" and "2:00 for checking out our cheerleaders" signs in on saturday night...Yane, did you have trouble with either of these? Of course the security guard (female) had a problem with "Has Parise Envy" during one of the series :) The only reason they let me in with both was the other sides were good. They said I was not allowed to show the "Seperated at Birth" one and should use extreme caution when using hte "Cheerleader" one.

Actually, NorthStar, I did. After the security guard (female) looked askance at the Banners/Manners one, she took the Cheerleaders and Separated at Birth ones outside for a second opinion. She came back with a male guard who said they were both fine and apologized for the scrutiny. They also wanted to see the rally hats but stopped me about halfway through the inventory, once they were sure that they were clean as a whistle. My take on innuendo is this: if you don't get it, you can't be offended, and if you do get it, who are you kidding if you claim offense? And, BTW, what do you think Thomas & Kupchella mean about being creative and inventive without being profane if the signs we've come up with (none of which contain a swear word) aren't fitting that bill?

And, BTW, what do you think Thomas & Kupchella mean about being creative and inventive without being profane if the signs we've come up with (none of which contain a swear word) aren't fitting that bill?

It means that you should be doing creative and inventive research for the benefit of the team and university (Kupchella), and this should be done during the game so your seats can be sold for four times the price (Thomas). Duh. :)