SiouxSports.com Forum

Solutions

tboneund

I've got a great rubric for the security folks at the Ralph concerning language:

If it is clean enough to be put on TV, it's clean enough to yell out at the Ralph.

That means words like:

butt, suck, crap, damn, pansies, screw, etc. Are all A-OK.

So anything other than......

F*ck, sh*t, c*ck, c*nt, c*ocks*cker, motherf*cker, and t*ts. :)

(Carlin's 7 dirty words you can't say on TV)

• Replies 56
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Of the suggestions, I think #4 would work the best. Walking out on the game and sitting silently would probably get the point across but it could ruin team morale. Sitting silently would be better than walking out. Without the fans and their support, the team may not play up to par and I don't think anyone wants the Sioux to lose because the fans aren't into the game. Fans should stand up and cheer and be supportive and loud, just maybe they should watch the swearing. They have stated though that a lot of the problems are from fans who are not students. So maybe moving the student section wouldn't have that large of an impact. Whatever they choose to do, they better start deciding fast because this is no way to end the hockey season. The Sioux don't need silent fans, the fans don't need to be afraid to support their team, and the team doesn't need to feel like they have no support because their fans can't cheer.

The students were mostly silent this weekend, not because they couldn't stand and not because they couldn't swear but because they were MAD about not being ALLOWED to stand and swear. They're playing the old passive-aggressive game with The Man: "Well, if we can't stand and say what we want, then we'll just sit here and say nothing. See how they like it then!"

I don't fault the students for being mad about being scapegoated and stifled but I know they are capable of much more constructive responses than the above. Michigan Tech series is supposed to highlight Fan Appreciation Night. I think it would be great if the students, season ticket holders and reps from REA and the Athletics Department got together and worked out a win-win solution for everyone. Some give, some take, some compromise all around. I know the students feel that the powers that be have broken faith by not following through on their promises regarding using the available technology to promote the fight songs and the Sieve chant and this would be a golden opportunity for the Ralph to repair that riff.

I don't think students were that mad that they couldn't stand and swear. It was more that we didn't know what we would be allowed to do. That wasn't very clear. So outside of Let's Go Sioux and a sieve cheer, we didn't know what to do.

Anybody know anything that might happen? The sooner it starts the better.

The first thing that has to happen is to get the students moved to the end where the Sioux attack twice. This is where they belong. It's time to call the deal brokered by the student senate last spring what it is, a resounding failure. 103-106 should be all students. If that means moving some of them from upstairs, so be it. Blow the old seating chart up and start from scratch if you have to. Move 'em to the end, and let 'em have some fun.

The second thing is to somehow increase funding and/or resources for the band. Whatever it takes to improve them, whether it be credits, more money, better leadership, etc. And move them downstairs amongst the students, too. I hold tickets to Friday games down on an end, and would gladly move to implement this.

Something needs to be done this off-season, big time. I just hope Blais didn't have any recruits in last weekend. If I were an 18-to-20 year old kid and saw that atmosphere, UND would have plummeted down my list, maybe crossed off altogether. As far as the language issue is concerned, I land on the side of the administration on this one. But if what I've read here is true, people getting kicked out for "butt" or "sucks", then common sense needs to carry the day.

To summarize, quiet students equals no fun. No fun equals good recruits going somewhere else, which results in less winning, which results in less attendance, which results in less revenue. Now we have it boiled down to a language that we can all understand.

That is my take.

After all of the suggestions I like the following the best:

Emailing Roger Thomas and REA about suggestions to make things better and thanking them for the way they politely asked for our assistance to make things better. This seems more likely to help without hurting the team.

Suggestions:

- Putting chants on the boards, as they promised in the past.

- Use those paper flyers they always like to hand out for things like words to the cheers and when to use the cheer.

- Maybe consider feasibility of moving students to the corner or end...only if at the end we shoot at twice. (It