SiouxSports.com Forum

Solutions

tboneund

• Replies 56
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I have a legitimate question about the first season in the new arena...

Didn't Dean Blais refuse to put his team on the ice one game until the Powers That Be let the students stand? Or am I just thinking of something that I wish he would do...? Kudos to ZPar for his apparent "calling out of President Chucky", that kid amazes me with everything he says and does, on and off the ice... Maybe he really is God on hockey skates?!? :)

I think #4 has the best chance of working. I've been told there are old-timers that have had those seats forever and the AD will never move them. However, if the AD is truly serious about student-issues, this would be a good way to start.

Also for us former students and non-students, contact the athletic department and remind them how much we appreciate the atmosphere that the students bring to the game.

I just want to say that I have been reading the board for quite awhile and enjoy all the comments, I have not posted very much. I am not a student but do have seats in the upper bowl and have been very disappointed in the atmosphere since day 1. Our section, aside from a very small handful of us, NEVER stands, cheers, etc. I love the students and wish we sat closer to that section to join in on all the fun that you use to have. I feel the crowd can really make a difference in the games and WI proved that and I think we have all seen the team play w/ more intensity when the crowd is on it's feet and cheering. Zach's comments are true, this is a college hockey game not a museum. I know a bunch of us fans are behind you students 100%. I have heard many comments from people around us about people not cheering, not standing, etc. It is a select few ruining it and it is time that they go somewhere else for their entertainment.

The few things I have notice working is the "get off your feet" on the big screen, it is the first time I have seen all the sections standing while making a lot of noise. It made it ok to stand. If other cheers and the seive chant were displayed on the big screen, I think everyone would get into it. I don't mind the swearing, but if they want improvement fine, lets use that screen to help get eveyone into the game. I love the "Who's he...Who cares" idea and it would be great if the lower bowl asked and the upper bowl answered. Bringing the band down and having them all in jerseys would add some more excitement and make them feel like a part of the game rather than stuffed way up in corner where no one can hear them.

Just my 2cents. We are willing to sign petitions, protest and support whatever efforts are made to get the ralph rockin!

Kupchella enjoys entertaining the minority instead of standing with the majority. Roger, though siding with Kupchella on the issue, is merely following the stance that his superior has stated. He has had experiences in the past in which he has had to do embarrassing things, he mentioned them in the letter.

Kupchella, however, has never really thought of the University as more than just a place that people go to get a degree and get out into the world. It is a business to him. He runs it like a non-proft, waiting for students to graduate and then turning the schmooze on double strong to milk whatever he can out of the more affluent graduates.

To respond to tbone:

Walking out of a period wouldn't work. Sitting down and shutting up might, but we have to remember who we are trying to harm. We want to take actions of defiance against Kupchella, not harm the Sioux hockey team.

Protesting doesn't work. We saw that with the seating issue. It didn't work then and it won't work now. The Upper deck people resent the lower bowl people too much (at least the ones I've talked to). I'm not so sure that they resent us because of our seats as much as they resent the way things have gone at the Ralph concerning reserved seats.

Petitions are doable. THe one to Kupchella would be turned in, he'd read the title, and then throw it away. He'd probably state publically that it was "improperly filed" or something.

Petitioning Roger Thomas is our best bet. He will not move us, though it is very much worth trying. The two sections on the end have more seats than our current section. Therefore, he rationalized when I talked to him, that he would actually be rewarding the students with more seats. He wasn't about to do that. Probably less so now.

The few things I have notice working is the "get off your feet" on the big screen, it is the first time I have seen all the sections standing while making a lot of noise. It made it ok to stand. If other cheers and the seive chant were displayed on the big screen, I think everyone would get into it.

I tried to make this point once before, and I think it's critical, so I'll repeat it -- getting REA and all those fancy gadgets involved would help a lot. I know if you read back through these forums, you'd find that such things were discussed a couple years ago, but it's still a good idea.

I'm going to keep dwelling on Wisconsin because the Kohl Center makes REA seem like a crypt. The "1...2....3..." chant is led by one enthusiastic old dude, but as soon as he starts it, it's up on the big screen. The sieve chant is coordinated by the big screen. Getting the arena involved in cheers lends an air of legitimacy and helps draw in the crowd.

Though I'm not particularly on either side of the students vs. the man debate, I do know that negotiations that begin with the assumption of enmity that I see here never lead to a win/win outcome. :)

I thought the corners had less seats, that is why students weren't moved this year. If we are behind the Zamboni entrance, we have to have less seats because of that big hole that the zamboni's come out of. :)

How do petitions work? Do they have to be official or something? Even so, Kupchella can not stop the petition from being done, could he? Whether he likes it or not, we have the right to have it. Maybe we wouldn't be able to do it at REA, but we have to be allowed to do it.

Jim, if Kupchella would be a bit more pleasant about things, there wouldn't be a problem at. This complaining and anger is focused almost exclusively towards him. He is just so standoffish. But the heck with him, he wasn't involved a couple years ago and he doesn't need to be involved now. REA and the Athletic Department will work with the students I'm sure and students don't really have a problem with them. And if they will use all the fancy doo-dads that they have, things can work out very well. If they don't though, things are much less likely to work out.

Zach's comments are true, this is a college hockey game not a museum.

Yes, he is right. But guess what? Everyone who attends the games has the power to turn it into something other than a museum-like atmosphere. Nobody is telling anyone not to be loud or not to cheer. It's ridiculous to think otherwise.

I agree with Jim Dahl that there needs to be a coordinated effort to get people involved in the games. The tools to do that are in place. It's a matter of the fans, REA and UND working together for improvement.

I e-mailed some ideas on how this might be accomplished to the UND administration, Roger Thomas and the REA staff. I know others who frequent this board have done the same thing. I talked to Roger this weekend and he is very supportive of efforts to get fans more involved in the games. And wonder of wonders, so is the UND administration!

It's time to stop complaining and start doing something positive.

I agree with Jim Dahl that there needs to be a coordinated effort to get people involved in the games. The tools to do that are in place. It's a matter of the fans, REA and UND working together for improvement.

I think if this happens we can surely get the atmosphere up as high as it's ever been at The Ralph.

upurrsioux....here's the sieve chant, not much to her:

ooooooooohoohoohohhhhhhh.....SIEVE, SIEVE, SIEVE, SIEVE SIEVE SIEVE SIEVESIEVESIEVE, etc.....

(with appropriate arm motion)

Yes, he is right. But guess what? Everyone who attends the games has the power to turn it into something other than a museum-like atmosphere. Nobody is telling anyone not to be loud or not to cheer. It's ridiculous to think otherwise.

I e-mailed some ideas on how this might be accomplished to the UND administration, Roger Thomas and the REA staff. I know others who frequent this board have done the same thing. I talked to Roger this weekend and he is very supportive of efforts to get fans more involved in the games. And wonder of wonders, so is the UND administration!

It's time to stop complaining and start doing something positive.

I agree 100%. It makes no sense at all to have the students in the upper bowl. They need to be down along the boards in the end where the Sioux shoot twice. I wish I new the best way to get that accomplished. That being said, that is no excuse for student's not providing more noise, no matter where they're sitting. So you can't swear. Big deal. You shouldn't be swearing anyway. How much creativity does it take to come up with the chant &^*% the Gophers? There are plenty of ways to support the team without swearing. Take a lesson from the Crazies at Cameron. The Farce always found a way to get the old Ralph rockin. As PCM said, with all the high teck gadgets in that place, somebody should be coming up with something to get people off their cans.

11,000 + fans watching the #1 team in the country and every shot I saw of the crowd on Saturday was of people sitting on their hands. Disgusting. Ralph is rolling over in his grave. He built the area for people to come and cheer on the Fighting Sioux, not an arena where women can showcase their new outfit and look pretty for the big screen.

Here's an idea, cheer for 60 minutes of hockey and then head over to Whiteys for the social aspect.

He built the area for people to come and cheer on the Fighting Sioux, not an arena where women can showcase their new outfit and look pretty for the big screen.

First of all, I see no problem with them doing this...they should just cheer while they're there.

Here's an idea, cheer for 60 minutes of hockey and then head over to Whiteys for the social aspect.
Whitey's after?...why not before?...and the El Roco after :)

Take a lesson from the Crazies at Cameron

If I recall, they're administration was mad at them for cursing as well.

That being said, that is no excuse for student's not providing more noise, no matter where they're sitting.

What if I told you there were security guards down every aisle in the student section, and a kid almost got booted for using the word "butt." That is absolutely asinine. We weren't loud because it seemed that anything other than "Let's Go Sioux!" would get us kicked out. It's the proverbial rock and a hard spot.

They showed the interview with Zach on WDAZ tonight. He said he didn't agree with taking the students out of the game, and he said it affects the team. He also didn't agree with not allowing the students to stand. I wish they would play it on the news every night for the rest of the season. :)

They showed the interview with Zach on WDAZ tonight. He said he didn't agree with taking the students out of the game, and he said it affects the team.

The Sioux forgot to cover the CC D-men coming down the slot because the students weren't standing and swearing? My, this problem is much more serious than I thought. :)

The Sioux forgot to cover the CC D-men coming down the slot because the students weren't standing and swearing? My, this problem is much more serious than I thought. ???

Bochenski has gone missing with the atmosphere. Maybe if I would have yelled to put in Brandt, it would have been quiet enough that CB would have believed it was one of his own thoughts. :)

Maybe security will slap duct tape over students' mouths & hog-tie them to their seats at the next home game & call it "Fan appreciation night". Then patrol the aisles & zap them with cattle prods if they happen to get loose :)

The most effective means of protest is the one that takes $$$ out of pockets--that gets people's attention the quickest. However, I don't see a lot of students protesting outside in subzero temps. while their team is playing. I would start off by directing a letter to your closest ally, Roger Thomas, to see if he can act as a go-between in your negotiations with Kupchella & to see if some reasonable middle-of-the-road compromise can be reached. If that fails & you guys feel that you're still being treated like cattle, a petition stating your displeasure & what you intend to do if this nonsense continues might be in order-- I don't know, I'm just shooting from the hip here. You guys will probably get something worked out & difficulties such as these usually arise in the beginning before a big change. To answer Diggler's question, I think petitions have to be notarized for them to be official. Political petitions such as a move to get a new initiative on a ballot before an election generally require a certain # of signatures beforehand.

Good luck, guys & gals...

Maybe if I would have yelled to put in Brandt, it would have been quiet enough that CB would have believed it was one of his own thoughts.  :)

Right on, there's always the MT seriesto try this one ??? !

Personally I think emails, phone calls, or personal visits to Roger Thomas with suggestions such as using technology more will help things improve faster. If you have a favorite cheer you can always ask him if it would be considered appropriate.

Here are ways to contact Mr. Thomas:

ROGER_THOMAS@MAIL.UND.NODAK.EDU

701-777-2235

Hyslop 120A

Please use the above for giving support for things that are being done or ideas to improve the atmosphere, the last thing he needs are more people complaining without providing solutions.

I was at the Purdue BBall game and again saw what a huge difference in atmosphere students can create. Purdue has the students in a large corner section, all wearing gold T'shirts where they can stand and coordinate cheers, and harass the opposition. The student section is called "The Gene Pool", (Gene Keady, the coach) and have a blast. As an alum I dont know why REA doesnt understand the importance of student participation. For crying out ould this isnt a baseball game.

The Upper deck people resent the lower bowl people too much (at least the ones I've talked to).  I'm not so sure that they resent us because of our seats as much as they resent the way things have gone at the Ralph concerning reserved seats.

That is one of the dumbest things I have ever read!

My upper deck section full of "old people" season ticket holders was louder and more into the game Saturday than the student sections in the upper deck. What is up with that?

Someone mentioned the Cameron Crazies. They are into the game. And they don't have to cuss to do it. See, there is a happy medium.

PS - I say move the students into Section 105, 106, and 107. There they could stand and interfere with only their view.

Whitey's after?...why not before?...and the El Roco after :)

Good point. I stand corrected.

What if I told you there were security guards down every aisle in the student section, and a kid almost got booted for using the word "butt." That is absolutely asinine. We weren't loud because it seemed that anything other than "Let's Go Sioux!" would get us kicked out. It's the proverbial rock and a hard spot.

I agree. I had no idea it was that out of hand. I say anything other than the 7 words in George Carlin's bit are OK. It's too bad some of the big corporate sponsors don't get behind this. As someone said, before there is change, the powers that be have to see that $$$ is at stake.

???

I think the students were quiet because of all the crap we have gone through, not because we can't swear. I think around 80% of the cheers done do not involve swearing. It seems like the students don't want to bother, and the general public didn't try start anything. I don't think all of the cops are bad. After our first goal on Saturday, one came up and told me I could yell. I don't know if I was randomly told, or he remembers me yelling from the other games. Either way, I think people need to realize that the students aren't quiet because all cheers involve swearing.