SiouxSports.com Forum

2015-16 Looking Ahead

niouxsiouxfan

Take your meds! Your fire Jones narrative has been WRONG FOR 453 days have you no pride.. take your garbage where it belongs to the fire jones thread

Of course I have pride, I just don't stick my head in the sand and accept a losing program. Sorry Mrs Jones.

Things are what they are, I think it's obvious. Let's try and stay positive, negativity can go elsewhere on this forum.

With the tournament here, and our new guys coming in, why not look forward to next season?

Presuming everyone is eligible to play I see two different starting lineups possible.

Small (most likely to start this way as Jones seems to like running 3 guard sets)

1. Hooker, 2. Crandall, 3.  Seales, 4. Shields, 5. Shanks

Cashman could be started in place of either 4/5, especially to go Shanks/Cashman at same time.  Not sure yet, but for rotation purpose this makes sense to me.

Bench is deep with Bernstine, Collins, McDermott, Tyler?, Hobaugh, Benton, Blake, DeRouen?, Coleman?

I think you have to give the three guard lineup serious consideration, as we already know what Hooker is capable of, and give him another year of development, he will be even better.  With Crandall's ability to run point or be a creator/scorer he has to be on the floor to take heat off of Hooker.  Then put Seales out there also and you now have three unselfish players that can score or create, they dont care as long as they are successful.  One may be garnering more defensive pressure and the others will be there to make up for it. I see Hooker resting with Crandall at the 1 and going to a big lineup and creating more mismatches off that.

Big (likely with Crandall at point, but Hooker is obviously capable of running this as well, even Seales if needed)

1. Crandall, 2. Seales/McDermott, 3. Collins/Shields, 4. Shanks/Bernstine, 5. Cashman

This lineup will be a work in progress to see who fits best where, when needed.  I know thats vague, but different players can create problems defensively for other teams. 

I think the most productive lineup will be with Hooker and Crandall in at the same time with another guard playing up with them. The younger players ability to score, coupled with their unselfishness and desire to win should produce a very fun team to watch.

Defensively, these guys all like playing pressure defense, so I'm sure we will see a more sustained full court man, with more rotation to keep them fresh.  We also have players that are adept at getting boards, which is a need for this team.

Here's to hoping for a much improved season!  It should be a good one.

Right On! ..... let the haters stick to the tired old fire Jones Thread

WAYYY TOO Early Predictions*

1. Montana

2. Weber

3. NAU

4. SUU

5. EWU

6. UNC

7. UND

8. SAC

9. PSU

10. MSU

11. Idaho

12. ISU

*Subject to change as season gets closer and rosters get more fluid

I wonder if Weber will bounce back after their less than stellar year. As for us, I hope we get some players to field a team or else I think 10-12 spot looks to where we will end up.

WAYYY TOO Early Predictions*

1. Montana

2. Weber

3. NAU

4. SUU

5. EWU

6. UNC

7. UND

8. SAC

9. PSU

10. MSU

11. Idaho

12. ISU

*Subject to change as season gets closer and rosters get more fluid

Granted, I don't know what new players UNC has coming in, but based on returnees I would be disappointed if they finished ahead of UND next year.

I've heard so many different things on that situation that I don't know what to believe. Only thing I know is when Shields and Coleman left, UND said those were the only two off the roster officially.
tmiller
9a1228b8-eb29-4f01-91f7-4477d7f6a4a7.jpg

Are you saying those will be the only two gone or just passing on what Tom said?

• 2 weeks later...

Per Jon Reed Big Sky Basketball blogger....8. North Dakota

Losses: Jaron Nash, Lenny Antwi, Chad Calcaterra, Ryan Salmonsen, Josiah Coleman, Kraig Shields
The sheer number of players leaving the program (either through graduation or transfer) is a bit exhausting, but it's not as bad as it looks. The biggest name is Jaron Nash, and though he was a very talented guy who could do a lot of things, at times he may have hurt the offense more than helped it. The other notable loss is Lenny Antwi, who followed up three OK years with a very solid senior season that saw him become a more consistent outside threat.

However, they still have some guys, especially in the backourt. Quinton Hooker took the big step forward that many people thought he would as a sophomore, becoming a steady PG with improved scoring punch. He will be an all-conference candidate type of player next year, and is easily their most important guy. He is joined in the backcourt by two transfers from last year who will be seniors - Estan Tyler and Terrell de Rouen. Tyler has the ability to be a very good scorer with a dangerous outside shot. De Rouen is the better defender of the two, but he shots a miserable 30% on over 100 threes last year - which quickly makes you a net negative offensively. Dustin Hobaughis another guy that will get minutes, and can hit shots from anywhere on the court.

Up front is where there will be more question marks. The anchor will likely be Carson Shanks, who became eligible in the second semester last year, and flashed some skills. He was solid rebounding the ball, and showed some shot blocking chops. They are expecting growth from him. Bryce Cashman got some minutes as a freshman, and had an interesting time. He was 22/36 from the floor (great), but 8/24 from the free throw line (yeesh).

In the recruits that they have signed so far, it seems like there was an emphasis on wings, and they got some talented guys. I expect they will sign a JUCO big man or two to provide some depth and talent in the frontcourt, with immediate playing time being a lure for them.

After reaching the Big Sky title game two years, they predictably took a step back as guys graduated. However, they have more talent than you might think, and should compete in the middle of the Big Sky next season...... JonApril 14, 2015 at 1:03 PM

For UND, I had heard rumors of Tyler not being back, but haven't heard anything official so far... If he is not back, I agree they should be moved down from 8th per Jon. So Jonathon is putting UND 8TH or lower....  Hooker is the only proven average or better Big Sky starter returning for UND.  Weber and Montana will be top 2 followed by   E. Wash. No. Az,and So. Utah  rounding  out the top 5 in all the preseason publications.  Counting on big improvement from returning players and on newcomers other than proven D1 transfers is an exercise that most coaches and fans participate in prior to the season starting.  No Az. Weber, and Montana St are all drooling over their new comers.  Teams playing summer exhibition tours will provide their fans a basis for a more educated projection for the  2015/16 season.

• 2 weeks later...

Confirmed that UNI will be playing in Grand Forks the coming season.  NDSU will also be on the home schedule.

Couple of pretty decent away games including Bradley and Florida Gulf Coast (Dunk City).  Was a few other higher profile ones as well but can't remember off the top of my head.

Confirmed that UNI will be playing in Grand Forks the coming season. NDSU will also be on the home schedule.

Couple of pretty decent away games including Bradley and Florida Gulf Coast (Dunk City). Was a few other higher profile ones as well but can't remember off the top of my head.

So is UNI big enough to get a game at the Ralph? I still think you should put NDSU there. Maybe double with WBB.

So is UNI big enough to get a game at the Ralph? I still think you should put NDSU there. Maybe double with WBB.

Personal opinion - I would prefer both games in the Betty and a loud, sold out crowd over what would likely be a half-full REA.  Also no clue on if dates would even work.  I get the draw in playing in the REA but I just think a full BESC is a better atmosphere.  I could be swayed if they really felt they could draw a huge crowd but I just don't see it.

UNI has been to GF a couple of times since we went DI.  Both of those games were at the Betty and neither of them sold out so I doubt this game will be moved there.

Personal opinion - I would prefer both games in the Betty and a loud, sold out crowd over what would likely be a half-full REA. Also no clue on if dates would even work. I get the draw in playing in the REA but I just think a full BESC is a better atmosphere. I could be swayed if they really felt they could draw a huge crowd but I just don't see it.

I see your point as well. I don't think filling the Ralph would be that difficult if they packaged tickets for families and really promoted it, but I haven't seen anything from the AD that make me believe they could do anything like that. So, I will stop hoping, and side with you, let's pack the Betty. Make it a great atmosphere for the new, and hopefully much improved team, and enjoy the games.

UNI has been to GF a couple of times since we went DI.  Both of those games were at the Betty and neither of them sold out so I doubt this game will be moved there.

Different UNI program I would argue as they were a Top Ten team last year and might be ranked when they come next year. That's a pretty big deal. UND could also do something special that night and honor some of UND's teams from the early 1990s with Jake on it. 

I see your point as well. I don't think filling the Ralph would be that difficult if they packaged tickets for families and really promoted it, but I haven't seen anything from the AD that make me believe they could do anything like that. So, I will stop hoping, and side with you, let's pack the Betty. Make it a great atmosphere for the new, and hopefully much improved team, and enjoy the games.

Agreed. I'm in favor of BB in the Ralph if they make a consistent effort and play the majority of games there, but if not play these games in the Betty. 

Different UNI program I would argue as they were a Top Ten team last year and might be ranked when they come next year. That's a pretty big deal. UND could also do something special that night and honor some of UND's teams from the early 1990s with Jake on it. 

I was trying to go back and see what years we played UNI at home.  I thought that we have played them in the Betty twice but I can only find one occasion where we played them and that was the 2009-10 season.  Does anyone know if we played them any other time at home?

Also, as a side note to the 2009-10 UNI team that came to GF.  They were 30-5 on the season, won the MVC conference that year, were a #9 seed in the NCAA tournament and were ranked # 13 in the country.  Granted they weren't as good in 2008-09 as they were only receiving votes in the AP Poll and finished second in the MVC.  When they came to GF in 2009-10, they were 7-1 and had wins over Iowa, Iowa St, and BC to name a few.  I have no idea what they were ranked or if they were ranked when the came, but they did have a very good team that year.

Personal opinion - I would prefer both games in the Betty and a loud, sold out crowd over what would likely be a half-full REA. Also no clue on if dates would even work. I get the draw in playing in the REA but I just think a full BESC is a better atmosphere. I could be swayed if they really felt they could draw a huge crowd but I just don't see it.

What jdub said. Pack the Betty!

Also, as a side note to the 2009-10 UNI team that came to GF. They were 30-5 on the season, won the MVC conference that year, were a #9 seed in the NCAA tournament and were ranked # 13 in the country. Granted they weren't as good in 2008-09 as they were only receiving votes in the AP Poll and finished second in the MVC. When they came to GF in 2009-10, they were 7-1 and had wins over Iowa, Iowa St, and BC to name a few. I have no idea what they were ranked or if they were ranked when the came, but they did have a very good team that year.

Did you happen to peak at the attendance for that game?

I was trying to go back and see what years we played UNI at home. I thought that we have played them in the Betty twice but I can only find one occasion where we played them and that was the 2009-10 season. Does anyone know if we played them any other time at home?

UNI has only been here once since the move to DI.

Confirmed that UNI will be playing in Grand Forks the coming season. NDSU will also be on the home schedule.

Couple of pretty decent away games including Bradley and Florida Gulf Coast (Dunk City). Was a few other higher profile ones as well but can't remember off the top of my head.

Do you have the dates yet for UNI and NDSU?