SiouxSports.com Forum

2015 Player Defections

sioux24/7

Well that is a real bummer about Shields.  I really like what I saw from him in the limited opportunities he got.  To me, he basically looked like a young version of Jaron Nash.  I think he will have a nice career wherever he lands. 

Coleman is less surprising, but just as unfortunate.  He began the season as a starter, and finished the season playing just a handful of minutes.  Personally, I felt he should have gotten every minute that De Rouen did.  For whatever reason, he found himself in Jones' doghouse and never got out. 

I am calling it right now:  after losing those three guys (Tyler, Shields, and Coleman) Jones is going to try and keep deRouen around because of sheer numbers alone.  The one guy out of the four that UND did not want/need back is going to be back.  Once again, that is my prediction but it certainly seems plausible.  What a mess.

I am calling it right now: after losing those three guys (Tyler, Shields, and Coleman) Jones is going to try and keep deRouen around because of sheer numbers alone. The one guy out of the four that UND did not want/need back is going to be back. Once again, that is my prediction but it certainly seems plausible. What a mess.

Id rather run with Benton than do that.

@RyanJamesMN: Albany shooting guard Wheeler Baker has received his release from scholarship today. He will transfer.

Aaron Anderson's younger brother tweeted at him to come to UND. We did offer him out of high school.

Might be better in the recruiting thread since he would be a recruit.

Staff should be all over that one. Realize everyone doesn't like the amount of transfers the staff has brought in the last few years, but I have no problem with them bringing in Twin Cities kids like Shanks, Tyler, and a guy like Wheeler Baker with multiple years left to suit up for UND. He would've been a big recruit out of HS and would be big now with 3 years left to play for UND. Assuming Seales doesn't redshirt he would be in the same class as him and Crandall. That would be an awesome backcourt for 3 years. 

My guess is the other Dakota schools will be after him. Kid is a pure scorer and a really good shooter. Guessing he knows all the Twin Cities kids well so hopefully that helps. 

Tom Miller ‏@tommillergf  1h1 hour ago

UND had interest out of HS "@RyanJamesMN: Albany SG Wheeler Baker has received his release from scholarship today. He will transfer. Teammate of Hooker at Osseo , Attended De La Salle one year with friend Crandall. Averaged about 6ppg for Big Dance team Albany..

Hooker played at Park Center, not Osseo. Unless he played there earlier in HS. Did they play AAU together?

I think Hooker and Baker did play AAU together for Pulley. Could be wrong but pretty sure they did. Osseo and PC are right by each other, both probably grew up playing together and guessing know each other well. 

Good sign that he is friends with a lot of the current players and it looks like him and Grabowski just started following each other on Twitter. Not a twitter expert by any means so take that for what its worth.

Like I said, he would be a big time pick up.  

Hooker played at Park Center, not Osseo. Unless he played there earlier in HS. Did they play AAU together?

No AAU together, Did not play High School with Hooker...Did attend Freshman Year At De with Geno. Likely will pick a Dakota School  if he wants to play closer to home and stay D1. Do not believe NDSU offered him. Did not get offered from Iowa D1s. NDSU with no MN kids on scholarship  seems a long shot.  

If Baker were to sign on that would be very exciting. Looking down the road, if Cashman and Shanks would develop like I think they can,, and along with Crandall and Hooker and then throw in Seales, Collins and McDermott we very well could have some really exciting times for UND basketball. A guy can dream but it could be very fun.

Here we go again.  Can't wait to see what he can do in 18 months.   :silly:

??? A kid that should have came here to begin with, wanted to go farther away.  Then wants to come "home." UND recruited him to begin with, and now they get him.  He is an excellent young man. He also has a desire to win, another kid like that on this team only helps!

He'll be here. SIMPLE

??? A kid that should have came here to begin with, wanted to go farther away.  Then wants to come "home." UND recruited him to begin with, and now they get him.  He is an excellent young man. He also has a desire to win, another kid like that on this team only helps!

That would be fantastic if you knew something we all didn't and he will be here. I also agree that some fans need to stop thinking "all" transfers are bad. I agree UND has took to many in recent years, but ones like Shanks, Tyler, Nash, and Baker that spend 3 years in the program can be good transfers. SDSU almost went to the NCAAs this year and they had 3 transfers in their starting 5. I don't like it but there are transfers all over the country, just have to recruit more HS kids and then sprinkle in the right transfers. Next years FR class is a step in the right direction.

As for Wheeler Baker. The young man averaged around 6 a game as a true freshman on a 14 seed in the NCAA tournament. He is a Twin Cities kid that is friends with the other TC kids on the team and will no doubt help us get more Twin Cities kids in the 16 & 17 classes. I'd take him over almost any HS recruit the staff could find at this point.

Baker is a potential mutli year all conference Big Sky level player, and someone UND fans should be extremely happy about if he ends up coming here.

Here's a nice dunk he had at albany this year.

Tyler was a bad transfer, sorry. He played one year and the team went 8-22. Then, he left early to go home. The program gained nothing from his addition.

I was basing that off the fact that hasn't been confirmed by anyone yet. I would agree if that turns out to be true. Point was not all transfers are bad and that UND fans should be really excited if we end up with Wheeler Baker. 

I agree UND needs to recruit more 4 year kids, but Baker would redshirt next year and have 3 years after that much like Shanks. Those guys are basically HS recruits and I don't have a problem with that, ecspecially when they are TC kids. 

IMO the more high profile players from the Twin Cities the better. I think it actually helps FB & WBB recruit in the Twin Cities too.