SiouxSports.com Forum

2015 Player Defections

sioux24/7

Truth and logic clearly shows that Tyler was a solid transfer...Was a full time starter, 3rd on team in scoring as well as in top half of Big Sky starters in scoring.  Obviously a solid Big Sky player.

Truth and logic?  You are gonna wax like that given your history here?  That is solid gold.

Everyone is still staying right?  No exodus?...

Tyler was a bad transfer, sorry. He played one year and the team went 8-22. Then, he left early to go home. The program gained nothing from his addition.

I disagree with this entirely!  And his stats would say otherwise as well. He played 2nd most minutes and was 2nd in 3pt % and makes. If a player decides that he wants to be done with his college career, upon graduation (which is the goal), then congratulations to him. It's unfortunate if he does not come back, he could be valuable next year.  If he wants to be with his family, even more congratulations go to him!  There needs to be more young men in the world like him.

• Upvote 1

I disagree with this entirely! And his stats would say otherwise as well. He played 2nd most minutes and was 2nd in 3pt % and makes. If a player decides that he wants to be done with his college career, upon graduation (which is the goal), then congratulations to him. It's unfortunate if he does not come back, he could be valuable next year. If he wants to be with his family, even more congratulations go to him! There needs to be more young men in the world like him.

You're right. I don't know how they could have accomplished all they did without him. It's to the point where the Jones supporters need to celebrate a transfer who played one season and quit to move home.

You're right. I don't know how they could have accomplished all they did without him. It's to the point where the Jones supporters need to celebrate a transfer who played one season and quit to move home.

Yeah and Hooker is a terrible recruit because of the teams record and kobe bryant is a bad player now  because  the Lakers have won less than 27% of their games this season. Your a genius!

Tyler was a decent transfer. Gave us solid minutes for one year. Almost like a stop-gap player. He was not a great transfer beings he played only one year and did not light the world on fire. I like getting the transfers like Shanks and now possibly Baker.

I disagree with this entirely!  And his stats would say otherwise as well. He played 2nd most minutes and was 2nd in 3pt % and makes. If a player decides that he wants to be done with his college career, upon graduation (which is the goal), then congratulations to him. It's unfortunate if he does not come back, he could be valuable next year.  If he wants to be with his family, even more congratulations go to him!  There needs to be more young men in the world like him.

Your light bulb is turned on vs others who's room upstairs is pretty dim

I don't mind a one-and-done transfer if he's considered the last piece of the puzzle for an already good team. But if Tyler truly is gone, and particularly if he took up a scholarship for the year he sat out, it didn't end up being a good move since clearly this was far from a good team. I'm not sure he gave us much, if any more than a combination of Antwi getting more minutes and Crandall not red-shirting could have also done.

However, in all fairness I can't blame Jones too much for this one, unless he actually had reason to think Tyler was an early flight risk when be was brought in. Since that presumably wasn't the case, it was probably just a case of bad luck. But that's quite different from trying to claim it was worth it to have Tyler play for one season just because he scored 11 ppg and ate up a lot of minutes on a bad team. I don't see how that benefitted the program at all in the long run.

If all you got out of that info was that I was a Jones supporter, I'm sorry you couldn't see that we should be congratulating Tyler.  Presuming he is leaving, he used the system to his advantage, and accomplished what he was supposed to.  Great work by that young man!  

I don't mind a one-and-done transfer if he's considered the last piece of the puzzle for an already good team. But if Tyler truly is gone, and particularly if he took up a scholarship for the year he sat out, it didn't end up being a good move since clearly this was far from a good team. I'm not sure he gave us much, if any more than a combination of Antwi getting more minutes and Crandall not red-shirting could have also done.

However, in all fairness I can't blame Jones too much for this one, unless he actually had reason to think Tyler was an early flight risk when be was brought in. Since that presumably wasn't the case, it was probably just a case of bad luck. But that's quite different from trying to claim it was worth it to have Tyler play for one season just because he scored 11 ppg and ate up a lot of minutes on a bad team. I don't see how that benefitted the program at all in the long run.

I do believe he was on scholarship last year.  Obviously, you would expect him to play his final year of eligibility, but sometimes players lose that drive, and want to move on with their lives. I know he was expected to come back, and hope he does. But I have heard he wants to get on with his professional life, whatever that goes, and be with his family.  To that, I say good luck.

Yes, Antwi could have gotten some of those minutes, and should have gotten more, anyway.  He should have gotten TDR's time!  Crandall needed to gain weight, and being young, it doesn't hurt taking the year to get acclimated to school.  If he did play, then you have another guard to find minutes for.  Let him sit and have four years to help bring this team to dominance in the Big Sky.

I do believe he was on scholarship last year.  Obviously, you would expect him to play his final year of eligibility, but sometimes players lose that drive, and want to move on with their lives. I know he was expected to come back, and hope he does. But I have heard he wants to get on with his professional life, whatever that goes, and be with his family.  To that, I say good luck.

Yes, Antwi could have gotten some of those minutes, and should have gotten more, anyway.  He should have gotten TDR's time!  Crandall needed to gain weight, and being young, it doesn't hurt taking the year to get acclimated to school.  If he did play, then you have another guard to find minutes for.  Let him sit and have four years to help bring this team to dominance in the Big Sky.

I've got nothing against Tyler. I just hope he is getting his degree this spring. Otherwise, leaving is a mistake IMO. Anyway, with the benefit of hindsight it would be tough to argue that UND would not have been better served using that scholarship on a high school recruit a couple of years ago.

As for Crandall, I'm not saying he necessarily should have played this year--just that he probably could have. Aaron Anderson was 140, and Troy Huff 170 as true freshmen, and they did just fine.

I've got nothing against Tyler. I just hope he is getting his degree this spring. Otherwise, leaving is a mistake IMO. Anyway, with the benefit of hindsight it would be tough to argue that UND would not have been better served using that scholarship on a high school recruit a couple of years ago.

As for Crandall, I'm not saying he necessarily should have played this year--just that he probably could have. Aaron Anderson was 140, and Troy Huff 170 as true freshmen, and they did just fine.

He will have a degree. I agree with you on preferring to use scholarship on a high school player.  Although, if he stayed then it would be worthwhile. 

And yes, Crandall could have played, but then you have another guard to find minutes for.  From what I understand, he has plans; and is also helping bring other players of a high caliber here.

• Upvote 1

Was just looking at UAlbany's board and they are extremely disappointed with Baker leaving. Many believed he could have been conference player of the year type his junior and senior season. Was also said he may be the most talented player on the team. Also was mentioned a couple of times that UND seems like a likely destination.

• Upvote 1

Was just looking at UAlbany's board and they are extremely disappointed with Baker leaving. Many believed he could have been conference player of the year type his junior and senior season. Was also said he may be the most talented player on the team. Also was mentioned a couple of times that UND seems like a likely destination.

I said it earlier, if he comes here, he is a potential multi year all conference caliber player. He is a proven product....6 a game for a 14 seed team in the NCAA as a true frosh. He can add strength and work on his game for a year and then step right in and contribute. 

Also take a look at the Recruiting pages for FB and BB and look at all the Twin Cities kids. Big time impression it makes on potential twin cities recruits when they see Quinton Hooker, Carson Shanks, Geno Crandall, Josh Collins, and potentially Wheeler Baker on the roster. Obivously mbb, but imagine Bubba talking to a recruit and showing him all the Twin Cities kids on the FB roster then pulling out the MBB roster and showing him all of the Twin Cities student athletes on the MBB rosters.

Twin Cities FB recruits know who Hooker, Shanks, Crandall, Collins, and Wheeler Baker are. It only helps attract more high caliber student athletes from their.   

• 4 weeks later...

Baker will be the fifth Division I transfer on the 2015-16 roster, joining seniors Dustin Hobaugh (Houston Baptist) and Terrel de Rouen (New Mexico State) and sophomores Carson Shanks (Utah State) and Drick Bernstine (Denver).

I think that verifies Tyler is out. I think we knew it but have not seen an official announcement.