SiouxSports.com Forum

NORTH DAKOTA vs. Niagara Purple Eagles

AZSIOUX

I like NS and Drake together...and I think Chyzyk fits on that line. Have to find a consistent wing to play w Mac and Parks. Would love to see OD seize that spot but he looked out of place there Friday and much more comfortable on the 4th line Saturday but maybe against Niagara he gets another shot.

I'm still high on schmaltz. He came in as an offensive defenseman and that's exactly what he's been. As for LJ, not exactly sure what type of player he will end up being. Judging purely on what I've seen (and that's a ton of games) I think he may be more of a third line player (and I was really high on him coming in). He does win draws but each game I watch he starts looking more like grinder that doesn't go very hard. He tends to take lazy stick penalties at terrible times and he simply doesn't hit the stat sheet like a top 6 forward. Also, his footspeed must improve. Hopefully he puts it together by his junior/senior year. We're going to need him.

LJ had a hell of a wrist shot when he let's it go. If he starts getting more pucks on net, he will score. He needs to create a little more space and a little more time for himseld.

LJ had a hell of a wrist shot when he let's it go. If he starts getting more pucks on net, he will score. He needs to create a little more space and a little more time for himseld.

To your last sentence.... part of that comes with effort and hardwork.

I like NS and Drake together...and I think Chyzyk fits on that line. Have to find a consistent wing to play w Mac and Parks. Would love to see OD seize that spot but he looked out of place there Friday and much more comfortable on the 4th line Saturday but maybe against Niagara he gets another shot

What is it that you like about the NS Drake and Chyz line?  I really like Chyz and Drake however on the weekend that line accumulated 1 goal 1 assist 9 shots on goal and were minus 4? Also are you saying every time Gaarder line was out they played against UMD's 4th line and that why that line had success? I usually like your post but it seems to me you always see the best in certain players and the worst in others. You're better than that.

What is it that you like about the NS Drake and Chyz line? I really like Chyz and Drake however on the weekend that line accumulated 1 goal 1 assist 9 shots on goal and were minus 4? Also are you saying every time Gaarder line was out they played against UMD's 4th line and that why that line had success? I usually like your post but it seems to me you always see the best in certain players and the worst in others. You're better than that.

Again as I previously stated...this team doesn't have 6 top 6 forwards. Have to play 2 guys in that top 6 role that probably aren't true top 6 guys. As for some guys they are just better fits and excel more in a bottom 6 role. From watching and statically OD is one of those guys.

And nowhere did I state that about the Gaarder line...that every time out they were matched against UMDs 4th line Saturday and that's why they had success. ???

Luke needs to sit until he can show the coaches that he really knows how to play college hockey at the level that is required. His effort level is poor and he takes lots of very stupid penalties. I would rather see someone that gives 100% for 60 minutes get the ice time even if they are a little less talented.

No, he doesn't. He's a threat to create offense and has 4G and 6A so far this year, not too shabby. Who would you recommend playing for LJ? Sanderson or Murphy? because neither of them can find the back of the net.

I think part of the issue with Luke is that his skating is not quite where it needs to be. This causes him to struggle to create separation on offense and take stick penalties on defense... but when he does, my god what a shot.

Again as I previously stated...this team doesn't have 6 top 6 forwards. Have to play 2 guys in that top 6 role that probably aren't true top 6 guys. As for some guys they are just better fits and excel more in a bottom 6 role. From watching and statically OD is one of those guys.

And nowhere did I state that about the Gaarder line...that every time out they were matched against UMDs 4th line Saturday and that's why they had success. ???

OD was on the top line Friday. Lower 6 role last night...4th line. He definitely tends to play better when he is in a lower 6 role. His skill set gives him more of an advantage for success when he is in those 3rd or 4th line matchups.

​Sorry you did say 3rd or 4th….regardless pretty sure Hak didn't match lines on the weekend….he tends to have certain dmen on ice re match ups. 

stoneySIOUX--Agree, gotta get the W's (yes, most important thing) but a couple of 3-2 wins at home vs a bad team would probably hurt the Sioux come next Monday in ref to ranking/PW. If all the rankings/PW take into account are W's regardless of score & where played (I kind of doubt that though), then I stand corrected.

No, he doesn't. He's a threat to create offense and has 4G and 6A so far this year, not too shabby. Who would you recommend playing for LJ? Sanderson or Murphy? because neither of them can find the back of the net.

I think part of the issue with Luke is that his skating is not quite where it needs to be. This causes him to struggle to create separation on offense and take stick penalties on defense... but when he does, my god what a shot.

The numbers don't lie. He is 5th on the team in # of penalties, and he seems to take penalties because he isn't keeping up. He is +1 for the year - there are only four players lower. He has taken more shots than anyone on the team and has only four goals. His faceoff % is .487. With a couple of guys injured right now, it probably isn't the time to bench him, but with Niagara in town maybe it is. Send a message.

stoneySIOUX--Agree, gotta get the W's (yes, most important thing) but a couple of 3-2 wins at home vs a bad team would probably hurt the Sioux come next Monday in ref to ranking/PW. If all the rankings/PW take into account are W's regardless of score & where played (I kind of doubt that though), then I stand corrected.

PWR only cares about wins.

OD was on the top line Friday. Lower 6 role last night...4th line. He definitely tends to play better when he is in a lower 6 role. His skill set gives him more of an advantage for success when he is in those 3rd or 4th line matchups.

​Sorry you did say 3rd or 4th….regardless pretty sure Hak didn't match lines on the weekend….he tends to have certain dmen on ice re match ups.

So where is your argument? He got a hat trick one night removed from playing on top line. He plays better where he played Saturday. For him and the team I glad he has played more towards his potential this season compared to his first 3 seasons. Anyone who watches him play can see he excels more in a bottom 6 role. And Hak does pair forward lines based on matchups and that 4th line Saturday IIRC wasn't on the ice with UMDs top line more than a shift...maybe 2...that's why at the Ralph he gets last change. If OD can get this team points consistently in a lower 6 role UND is going to be tough to beat.......that was my point.

The numbers don't lie. He is 5th on the team in # of penalties, and he seems to take penalties because he isn't keeping up. He is +1 for the year - there are only four players lower. He has taken more shots than anyone on the team and has only four goals. His faceoff % is .487. With a couple of guys injured right now, it probably isn't the time to bench him, but with Niagara in town maybe it is. Send a message.

I would like to see Simonson more this weekend...he IMO definitely brings more energy and hardwork to the ice than LJ does right now. I like his game.

Actually you can lie with numbers, it's quite easy. By using only the numbers that are in line with your opinion, it backs up your opinion.

Funny you didn't mention LJ is tied for 6th on the team in goals, points, and PPG.  Why didn't you refer to those numbers? Yes, they are mitigated somewhat by the numbers you present but IMO Murphy or Sanderson haven't brought even that much to the table when given a shot(0 points combined, +/- of -1 & 0 respectively). I do see Simonson eventually being a good player here so if you're going to give one person a shot this weekend, I'd think it would have to be him.

Absolutely spot on. No way he sits.

Wins, good or bad, don't ever hurt the PWR anymore. A bad loss would kill us, but a 3-2 win over Niagara means the same as a 7-0.

Actually you can lie with numbers, it's quite easy. By using only the numbers that are in line with your opinion, it backs up your opinion.

Funny you didn't mention LJ is tied for 6th on the team in goals, points, and PPG.  Why didn't you refer to those numbers? Yes, they are mitigated somewhat by the numbers you present but IMO Murphy or Sanderson haven't brought even that much to the table when given a shot(0 points combined, +/- of -1 & 0 respectively). I do see Simonson eventually being a good player here so if you're going to give one person a shot this weekend, I'd think it would have to be him.

Well he has received top 6 minutes the entire season and has been included on the PP so the fact he is 6th on his own team makes sense.  Agree he should never sit however to say he is even having an average year is a stretch.  .5 pts per game from a top six forward is extremely average.

Scouting report time:

While home on winter break, I went to the Niagara @ Air Force game on Friday night. I noticed that Niagara played very very dirty A defensman jumped an AF player that scored, pushed heads of players laying on the ice into it, had a game disqualification etc.... I don't know if that means they will play dirty against a better and bigger team than Air Force, but it's something to watch out for.

As to how they look otherwise, they had a lot of defensive zone turnovers. They won a lot of their faceoffs in the defensive zone, but couldn't seem to win them elsewhere. If their goalie comes out to play the puck, watch for some miscues. He had a couple, and is no stranger to them elsewhere. They were also very aggressive on the PK and forced Air Force to rush some things, leading to mistakes and then breakaways.

Well he has received top 6 minutes the entire season and has been included on the PP so the fact he is 6th on his own team makes sense.  Agree he should never sit however to say he is even having an average year is a stretch.  .5 pts per game from a top six forward is extremely average.

My point was that he will not sit because he is our best option. I definitely think he has a higher ceiling too, just need to get it going. He's shown flashes for sure, just need to work on the consistency part now.

• Upvote 1

Niagara is obviously full of eastern kids and Canadiens being in Niagara Falls. Also see a Russian , Swede and a minnesota kid on roster. Sweep the purp!! Go sioux

Roster- NU

http://www.uscho.com/stats/roster/niagara/mens-hockey/2014-2015/

Sioux current stats as well overall

http://www.uscho.com/stats/team/north-dakota/mens-hockey/2014-2015/

Niagara is obviously full of eastern kids and Canadiens being in Niagara Falls. Also see a Russian , Swede and a minnesota kid on roster. Sweep the purp!! Go sioux

Roster- NU

http://www.uscho.com/stats/roster/niagara/mens-hockey/2014-2015/

Sioux current stats as well overall

http://www.uscho.com/stats/team/north-dakota/mens-hockey/2014-2015/

....Ouch

http://www.uscho.com/stats/team/niagara/mens-hockey/2014-2015/