SiouxSports.com Forum

North Dakota v. Sacramento St.

bincitysioux

North Dakota

(5-8, 1-1 Big Sky, #227 RPI)

vs.

Sacramento St.

(8-5, 2-0 Big Sky, #202 RPI)

The Hornets are looking solid this year.  They are not a horrible matchup for North Dakota by any means, but based on how UND has played so far this year I would say the only edge that the Sioux have is the fact the game is in Grand Forks.  Both teams are very guard oriented and they are the two worst rebounding teams in the league.  Sac can be deadly from beyond the arc, and is a very unselfish team that leagues the league in assists.  In contrast, UND is last in the league in assists and second to last 3pt FG%.  The Hornets are second in the BSC in FT%, while UND is second to last in that category.  I expect a close game..

Sac State strength is in their backcourt, possibly the best backcourt in the conference. McKinney and Garrity are two of the best.  They also have a 6'11 Center, while not the primary scoring option, can fill it up when need to (had double figure games against NAU and SUU last weekend)

Perimeter Defense is going to be a focal point against Sac, we cannot give them any open looks or we will pay.  If we can get solid production from our frontcourt for a change, we might be able to get this game, which would be a good win. This is a game where I would want to get Nash and Shanks going.  Hope Hooker can keep his solid production up as well.

If we play well in this homestand, we could win all three and sit at 4-1 in conference play and traveling out to Idaho. 

Other games to note:

Montana @ Weber: Can Weber really start 0-3 in the conference?  Is Montana a serious challenger?

Portland State @ Northern Colorado:  Will the real PSU or UNC please stand up? 

Montana State @ Idaho State:  Who is going to get win #1

Off:

EWU and Idaho

SUU and NAU

Don't remember where I heard it... Some coach took phones, iPods, etc away from their players on road trips (and other team times?) to 'force' the players to interact with each other and become more team-oriented. Actually sounds like a good way to handle the exclusiveness of today's social media and its impact on building a team-focused team.

Don't remember where I heard it... Some coach took phones, iPods, etc away from their players on road trips (and other team times?) to 'force' the players to interact with each other and become more team-oriented. Actually sounds like a good way to handle the exclusiveness of today's social media and its impact on building a team-focused team.

One of our coaches?!

Dean Blais did this at the World Juniors when Kristo and the rest won the Gold.

Coaches do this all the time when teams are on the road.  They do this in an attempt to get the players to get some rest instead of being up all night on phones, computers, ipads, etc.    Most players can easily work around this with dummy phones and other means.

Coaches do this all the time when teams are on the road. They do this in an attempt to get the players to get some rest instead of being up all night on phones, computers, ipads, etc. Most players can easily work around this with dummy phones and other means.

I think the idea is to get their noses out of their electronics and get them talking to each other as people/teammates and recognize that the others are also valuable members of the team. It would also give them some time to talk about and even plan for the upcoming game. I remember team bus trips being very interactive and not silently ignoring my teammates (showing my age).

But yeah, having some positive effect on being rested would be good too.

I think the idea is to get their noses out of their electronics and get them talking to each other as people/teammates and recognize that the others are also valuable members of the team. It would also give them some time to talk about and even plan for the upcoming game. I remember team bus trips being very interactive and not silently ignoring my teammates (showing my age).

But yeah, having some positive effect on being rested would be good too.

Maybe many years ago this was how it was but not today.  I know for a fact in talking to some players of the past couple of years that the teams were very divided amongst the players and virtually no interaction at all unless on the court and even then with the selfish play of some it made things even worse.  Players room with the same person each road trip and outside meetings/eating and practice they kept to themselves.  Was hoping this years team would be better and it may be as I've not had much of a chance to talk to any players being the fact they virtually have been gone this entire season.