SiouxSports.com Forum

UND @ MSU (1/1)

SWSiouxMN

Im not considering a win out at MSU to be an upset.  My expectations is for them to go out there and win. 

Now if they beat the Griz on Saturday, you can make more of an argument of an upset. 

I want Hooker to have a big game today, I would love to see him take the next step as a leader and become a more aggressive scorer and hopefully get a few more dimes.

The player that needs to step up IMO on this team is Coleman:  He needs to start figuring it out so we can get a true 3 in the starting lineup.  His length can help us on the boards as well. 

Once again, we all want to debate on the extremes, because that's where it's more fun. But the truth is somewhere in the middle. We all know that the OOC schedule is NOT unimportant, but at the same time, no one believes the Big Sky slate is the end all be all, though winning it is the most logical path for any team to get good position for the conference tourney and a chance at getting into The Big Dance.

But back to the extremes, 'cause it's more fun. What I think is not debatable is that any low to mid major that tears it up in the OOC portion of the schedule and completely falls on its face in the conference has somewhere close to zero chance of getting into the NCAA tourney. Whereas, an abysmal OOC showing, regardless if it's filled with Power 5 teams or D II cupcakes, followed by a winning conference effort, gets a team in position to make a run for The Dance.

What OOC games are good for for most teams outside the P5 is tuning up, working out kinks, snatching an occasional upset if you can catch them napping, and finally, positioning the conference's collective ranking in such a way that it might get the eventual auto-bid conference winner as high a seed as possible in the NCAAs.

But we all know, whether we admit it or not, that the realistic path to the NCAA tourney begins this afternoon in Bozeman. We are 0-0 in the conference, and our no-show against SU, collapse against SDSU in Brookings and our failure to adjust in second halves against P5 teams, mean very little for the next two months.

What I think is completely debatable is the Xs and Os and coaching decisions that lead to these various outcomes.

Carry on.

I agree with your post.

Because we know the tough road ahead, a lot of fans have NO, ZERO, NADA, confidence that we can play a BSC opponent (especially on the road) and walk out with a win. That's where OOC play comes in. You win an OOC game you not only you gain confidence in the fanbase but the players as well. I see a win in conference play a game closer to the tournament so it's a good thing. It's the bad losses that people harp on. Last year it was Cal Poly, Omaha, and Southern Utah. This year it was TX-PA, and blowouts to NDSU, Utah and Minnesota. Losing to a P5 team is one thing but losing by 36+ is embarrassing.

I'm not sure what your argument here is.  You say that losing OOC games gives the fans zero confidence and then use SUU, a conference game, and Omaha, the last game of the year when they were pulling fans out of the stands to fill out the roster, as 2 of your 3 examples.  

OOC play is over (minus a late game against Omaha).  More or less disappointing again.  A decent win against Drake, blew a game at SDSU, got blown out at NDSU and lost to a couple P5 schools in a variety of ways.  Doesn't matter anymore.  Time to step up and prove the predictions wrong.  Make the conference tournament and then see where it goes from there.

That is exactly my point. Your boy has his squad so far down that they are dogs to a perennial doormat. And you are calling it an "upset" win if UND happens to pull it out.

Also, "the money" (whatever the heck that means) has nothing to do with the game line. Its a mathematical formula, that in this case shows how poor UND is right now. Linesmakers know nothing about these teams other than their points for and points against, etc.

Money is the green stuff people use to purchase goods , services and invest with.  Any moron is aware that UND is Big Sky team that is rebuilding and that all but the most elite teams go through periods of rebuilding .  The game line is a result of Folks making a ton of money trying put out a point spread that will result in even amounts of MONEY being bet vs the spread on said game.   The ,MONEY LINE is designed evenly divide financial risk/reward on the outcome of a game from a win or lose perspective.  UND winning will be a road upset that is a Fact!  After being one the best teams in their conference 3 years in a row UND is now rebuilding ...so what that is a normal expectation for most teams.  Only an complete imbecile would fire a coach any time a team enters a rebuilding phase.

Money is the green stuff people use to purchase goods , services and invest with. Any moron is aware that UND is Big Sky team that is rebuilding and that all but the most elite teams go through periods of rebuilding . The game line is a result of Folks making a ton of money trying put out a point spread that will result in even amounts of MONEY being bet vs the spread on said game. The ,MONEY LINE is designed evenly divide financial risk/reward on the outcome of a game from a win or lose perspective. UND winning will be a road upset that is a Fact! After being one the best teams in their conference 3 years in a row UND is now rebuilding ...so what that is a normal expectation for most teams. Only an complete imbecile would fire a coach any time a team enters a rebuilding phase.

"Rebuilding". Nine transfers isn't rebuilding. Keep em coming.