SiouxSports.com Forum

2015 NFL Playoffs

jodcon

Uhhhh, those guys miss calls too. If you think college officials would come in and automatically be better, you don't understand how the refereeing hierarchy works. Refs are graded on every game. The good ones get more assignments and playoff games. None of them are going to catch everything especially with how fast the game happens.

And while there were no D-1 refs, the replacement guys sure did an excellent job during the referee lockout a few years ago didn't they?

There should be DI refs, and DII etc. But something has to change or more and more fans will boycott the sport. Goodell is making it that way with the no hitting policy.

There should be DI refs, and DII etc. But something has to change or more and more fans will boycott the sport. Goodell is making it that way with the no hitting policy.

Get out on the field and try officiating, even at a sub-varsity high school level. Then bump that up to the game speed the pros go. You'll find it's a lot more difficult than sitting in your chair with a nice high def tv and instant replay. 

Get out on the field and try officiating, even at a sub-varsity high school level. Then bump that up to the game speed the pros go. You'll find it's a lot more difficult than sitting in your chair with a nice high def tv and instant replay.

Great point! Without my HD TV and instant replay capability, I wouldn't have even noticed Dez Bryant running onto the field to bark at an official. We certainly can't expect NFL officials to notice little things like that as well!

• Upvote 2

Great point! Without my HD TV and instant replay capability, I wouldn't have even noticed Dez Bryant running onto the field to bark at an official. We certainly can't expect NFL officials to notice little things like that as well!

Exactly.

Still wasn't an automatic penalty per the rules.

Still wasn't an automatic penalty per the rules.

So if the entire offense of the Cowboys had walked out onto the field to politely discuss the situation, the referee has the option of calling a penalty only if the discussion gets a bit heated? C'mon...

• Upvote 1

So if the entire offense of the Cowboys had walked out onto the field to politely discuss the situation, the referee has the option of calling a penalty only if the discussion gets a bit heated? C'mon...

I thought any player on the field without a helmet gets a penalty. What's the difference between what Dez did and say someone takes off their helmet after a TD.

I thought any player on the field without a helmet gets a penalty. What's the difference between what Dez did and say someone takes off their helmet after a TD.

Right, wrong or indifferent, the way the rule is currently written, it is not an automatic penalty.  I wouldn't be surprised to see an alteration of the rule in the off-season.

Dean Blandino clarified the Bryant play Monday, telling NFL Network and Mike Florio that it’s up to the judgment of the officials if a player who comes off the sidelines helmetless should be penalized. If a player on the field takes his helmet off after a play, he is to be flagged for unsportsmanlike conduct. If a player comes off the sideline without his helmet, Blandino said the officials have a choice: If the player argues and is belligerent, he should be flagged for unsportsmanlike conduct. If he argues mildly or does something else, that is up to the officials’ discretion. 

Right, wrong or indifferent, the way the rule is currently written, it is not an automatic penalty. I wouldn't be surprised to see an alteration of the rule in the off-season.

I can imagine what kind of rule changes we will see next season.

Maybe Aaron needs to spend more time working out and less time perfecting his "I'm here to pump [clap] you up" line?

Glad to see you were able to escape the fetal postion from last Sunday's Lion's loss to chime in...................................

Glad to see you were able to escape the fetal postion from last Sunday's Lion's loss to chime in...................................

I'll be curious to see how many Packer fans start wishing for the golden days of yore when Brett Favre was their QB should GB lose this weekend...

• Upvote 1

I'll be curious to see how many Packer fans start wishing for the golden days of yore when Brett Favre was their QB should GB lose this weekend...

I don't think you'll find too many. Most Packers fans I know (including myself) are more than happy with Rodgers.