SiouxSports.com Forum

FCS Polls Week of 11-10-14

Matt

http://www.sportsnetwork.com/merge/tsnform.aspx?c=sportsnetwork&page=cfoot2/misc/tsn-div-1aa-poll.htm

The Sports Network FCS Top-25 College Football Poll

Team (First-place votes) Record Points Previous Rank
1. New Hampshire Wildcats (70) 8-1 3,800 2
2. Coastal Carolina Chanticleers (55) 10-0 3,747 3
3. Jacksonville State Gamecocks (13) 8-1 3,547 4
4. North Dakota State Bison (19) 9-1 3,483 1
5. Eastern Washington Eagles 9-2 3,366 5
6. Villanova Wildcats 8-2 3,070 7
7. Fordham Rams 9-1 2,792 9
8. Illinois State Redbirds 8-1 2,743 12
9. Chattanooga Mocs 7-3 2,411 13
10. Southeastern Louisiana Lions 7-3 2,159 14
11. Northern Iowa Panthers 6-4 2,121 19
12. Montana State Bobcats 7-3 2,055 15
13. McNeese State Cowboys 6-3 1,836 6
14. Richmond Spiders 7-3 1,811 8
15. Youngstown State Penguins 7-3 1,757 10
16. Montana Grizzlies 6-4 1,542 11
17. Harvard Crimson 8-0 1,307 18
18. Eastern Kentucky Colonels 8-2 1,142 16
19. South Dakota State Jackrabbits 6-4 1,135 22
20. Bethune-Cookman Wildcats 8-2 1,077 20
21. Bryant Bulldogs 8-1 620 23
22. Northern Arizona Lumberjacks 7-3 522 25
23. Indiana State Sycamores 6-4 517 17
24. William & Mary Tribe 6-4 438 25
25. James Madison Dukes 7-3 355 NR
Others receiving votes: Liberty 305, Idaho State 281, Stephen F. Austin 257, Southern Illinois 171, Sam Houston State 153, Cal Poly 142, North Carolina A&T 111, Grambling State 71, South Carolina State 50, Alcorn State 37, Yale 31, Bucknell 25, Albany 9, Samford 8, Sacred Heart 5, Wofford 4, Jacksonville 3, Western Carolina 3, Lamar 3, Eastern Illinois 2, Missouri State 1

http://www.ncaa.com/rankings/football/fcs

Rankings - FCS Coaches' Poll

Last Updated - November 10, 2014
FCS Coaches' Poll
RANK SCHOOL RECORD POINTS PREVIOUS
1 Coastal Carolina (20) 10-0 639 2
2 New Hampshire (4) 8-1 622 3
3 Jacksonville State (2) 8-1 588 4
4 North Dakota State 9-1 582 1
5 Eastern Washington 9-2 555 5
6 Villanova 8-2 514 7
7 Illinois State 8-1 456 12
8 Fordham 9-1 443 9
9 Chattanooga 7-3 442 11
10 Southeastern Louisiana 7-3 394 14
11 McNeese State 6-3 365 6
12 UNI 6-4 330 20
13 Montana State 7-3 316 16
14 Richmond 7-3 297 8
15 Montana 6-4 268 10
16 Youngstown State 7-3 263 13
17 Harvard 8-0 258 17
18 Bethune-Cookman 8-2 202 18
19 South Dakota State 6-4 195 22
20 Eastern Kentucky 8-2 178 15
21 Bryant 8-1 132 21
22 Southern Illinois 6-4 84 24
23 William & Mary 6-4 65 25
24 Stephen F. Austin 7-3 48 NR
25 Indiana State 6-4 46 19
Dropped out: No. 23 Cal Poly.

Others receiving votes: Northern Arizona 43, Idaho State 26, Liberty 20, Cal Poly 20, Alcorn State 17, James Madison 14, North Carolina A&T 8, Charleston Southern 6, Sacred Heart 5, Yale 3, Sam Houston State 2, South Carolina State 2, Bucknell 2.

They are quite mad in Fargo that they dropped 3 spots to #4. I think if they had lost by 3 or 7 points they would have only dropped 1 or 2 spots. But when you lose by 20, you can expect to drop at least 3 spots in the poll. Bison fans probably don't think they should of dropped at all.

They are quite mad in Fargo that they dropped 3 spots to #4. I think if they had lost by 3 or 7 points they would have only dropped 1 or 2 spots. But when you lose by 20, you can expect to drop at least 3 spots in the poll. Bison fans probably don't think they should of dropped at all.

By "mad", you mean insane, right?

What is funny about the polls is that #1, #2, and #3 have a combined 4 wins over top 25 teams and no wins over FBS teams. NDSU alone has 4 wins over top 25 FCS teams and a win over an FBS team from a power 5 school. Hell Coastal has not ever played a ranked team the entire year.

If they had played the schedule NDSU had just played, I would be incredibly surprised if any of these teams were sitting at 9-1 right now. I understand NDSU played a bad game and deserve to drop but to say Coastal at #2 is a better team than NDSU? Give me a break.

I would bet the house on EWU or NDSU over any of these jokers.

What is funny about the polls is that #1, #2, and #3 have a combined 4 wins over top 25 teams and no wins over FBS teams. NDSU alone has 4 wins over top 25 FCS teams and a win over an FBS team from a power 5 school. Hell Coastal has not ever played a ranked team the entire year.

If they had played the schedule NDSU had just played, I would be incredibly surprised if any of these teams were sitting at 9-1 right now. I understand NDSU played a bad game and deserve to drop but to say Coastal at #2 is a better team than NDSU? Give me a break.

43 rushing yards...132 passing yards...175 yards of total offense...10 punts...and 3 points scored...against a team coming into the game with a 5-4 record. The current poll isn't based on an Iowa State game that was played months ago, it's based on how the Bison played last Saturday.

43 rushing yards...132 passing yards...175 yards of total offense...10 punts...and 3 points scored...against a team coming into the game with a 5-4 record. The current poll isn't based on an Iowa State game that was played months ago, it's based on how the Bison played last Saturday.

Actually in my opinion it should be based on both.  The BCS always drove me nuts because a team that loses one game is somewhat penalized if that loss is closer to the end of the year.  I understand the "how well they're playing now" part of it, and a little weight should be put on that, but you have to look at what a team has done the whole year. 

I see your point as far as strength of schedule goes.  But, put the shoe on the other foot for a second.  What if Coastal Carolina was ranked #1 before this weekend and NDSU was #2.  And let's say they lost a game by 20 points.  If the polls came out Monday and Coastal Carolina was still #1 and the Bison were still #2 and they were still undefeated, do you think that there would be a little bit of an uproar from Bison fans?? 

Simply put, if a team is undefeated this late in the season, and they are the only undefeated team left, they are going to be #1. 

Actually in my opinion it should be based on both.  The BCS always drove me nuts because a team that loses one game is somewhat penalized if that loss is closer to the end of the year.  I understand the "how well they're playing now" part of it, and a little weight should be put on that, but you have to look at what a team has done the whole year. 

In that case Coastal is better than NDSU since they are still undefeated. 

In that case Coastal is better than NDSU since they are still undefeated.

NDSU going 9-1 with their schedule is far far more impressive than beating 10 teams not ranked.

If Alabama wins out and ends up with 1 loss, playing in the SEC, do you think that would be harder and more impressive than Marshall going undefeated in Conference USA?

This is why the FCS polls are a joke. Half these writers don't even know who the teams are let alone what playing quality opponents even means. Hell only a few years ago, voters were still screwing up and giving UND #1 votes because they were confused by the two schools.

NDSU going 9-1 with their schedule is far far more impressive than beating 10 teams not ranked.

If Alabama wins out and ends up with 1 loss, playing in the SEC, do you think that would be harder and more impressive than Marshall going undefeated in Conference USA?

This is why the FCS polls are a joke. Half these writers don't even know who the teams are let alone what playing quality opponents even means. Hell only a few years ago, voters were still screwing up and giving UND #1 votes because they were confused by the two schools.

The polls were just fine for you until your team wasn't on top of them!

In the FBS there are three undefeated teams, FSU, Miss. State and Marshall. Marshall is ranked 21st in the AP poll. There are 18 teams with a loss or a few losses between FSU and Marshall. If FSU and Miss. State lose and Marshall ends up undefeated, would they deserve to be the #1 team in FBS, just because they are undefeated?

Marshall and Coastal Carolina are identical situations. Both are undefeated but play the lowest level of competition in their division. Marshall is ranked #21 but Coastal is #1. It is a joke.

The polls were just fine for you until your team wasn't on top of them!

I always thought Coastal being ranked that high was a joke. EWU gets beat by a PAC 12 team by what, a point and gets beat by a ranked FCS team by 2 points, with their star QB out, but somehow Coastal Carolina, who have played nobody, is ranked higher. LMAO.

Coastal should maybe be ranked around 15. Whatever Harvard is at, right around there.

Who are you trying to kid. ALL polls are a joke - FBS, FCS, BB, Hockey. How many voters have really seen all the teams they are voting for actually play? It's a beauty contest, mostly based on past performance with a little current won-loss record sprinkled on. Northern Iowa, Montana, and eventually NDSU get votes because they are perennially toward the top of their conferences, even if they have more losses than some of the other teams in the same as well as other conferences. SEC teams in FBS, B1G teams in BB... I think you get my drift.

What really matters, especially in FCS football, BB and hockey, is who wins the playoffs at the end of the season, not who leads the poll in week 10. Why don't you just grab some popcorn and chill?

Seriously? Every team in the FCS top 25 would go 0-10 if they had to play NDSU's schedule.  :silly: The lucky thing for those teams is that NDSU would not be ON the schedule.

Its just as important WHEN you lose during the regular season. Did NDSU lose this game early enough to recover? Probably.

Marshall wasn't #3 last week and moved up just 2 spots. Big difference. If NDSU was #3 and CC was #1 and lost you would be outraged if they stayed #1. You guys cry over everything.

• Upvote 1

Marshall wasn't #3 last week and moved up just 2 spots. Big difference. If NDSU was #3 and CC was #1 and lost you would be outraged if they stayed #1. You guys cry over everything.

No kidding.  Winning 52 of the last 55 games, 5 straight against FBS teams, 3 straight FCS titles.....then you lose 1 game and drop to #4 in the polls!!  Sorry Bison fans if we and every other FCS college football fan don't show you any sympathy!!

I always thought Coastal being ranked that high was a joke. EWU gets beat by a PAC 12 team by what, a point and gets beat by a ranked FCS team by 2 points, with their star QB out, but somehow Coastal Carolina, who have played nobody, is ranked higher. LMAO.

Coastal should maybe be ranked around 15. Whatever Harvard is at, right around there.

I think we all get it.  Just a ballpark but Coastal might be 5-6th best team if in the MVFC and 3rd-4th best team if in BSC.  What does it really matter to NDSU because they can easily outbid the current teams higher than them for home field, doesn't it work that way??  Anyway, your boys will be in the playoffs and we'll be full time recruiting in 2 weeks.  I suppose it sucks walking around day with 4 fingers up instead of the normal #1.........

I think we all get it.  Just a ballpark but Coastal might be 5-6th best team if in the MVFC and 3rd-4th best team if in BSC.  What does it really matter to NDSU because they can easily outbid the current teams higher than them for home field, doesn't it work that way??  Anyway, your boys will be in the playoffs and we'll be full time recruiting in 2 weeks.  I suppose it sucks walking around day with 4 fingers up instead of the normal #1.........

Home field is determined by the higher seed for the 8 seeded teams.  For the rest of the field, you are correct, home field is determined by the highest bid.