SiouxSports.com Forum

2014-15 Season

SWSiouxMN

It seems crazy that in the first half (give or take) of the season, UND was able to beat Montana (RPI 100), win at UNC (RPI 138), give USD (RPI 76) and Colorado (RPI 115) all they could handle on the road, and play Minnesota (RPI 39) tough even without having Evers for most of the game. And yet despite not having any major injuries, lose six of its last seven games. What happened? Starting with the game at Montana, pretty much nothing went right.

It seems crazy that in the first half (give or take) of the season, UND was able to beat Montana (RPI 100), win at UNC (RPI 138), give USD (RPI 76) and Colorado (RPI 115) all they could handle on the road, and play Minnesota (RPI 39) tough even without having Evers for most of the game. And yet despite not having any major injuries, lose six of its last seven games. What happened?

Winter set in and the air temperature dropped? :sneaky:

• Upvote 1

It seems crazy that in the first half (give or take) of the season, UND was able to beat Montana (RPI 100), win at UNC (RPI 138), give USD (RPI 76) and Colorado (RPI 115) all they could handle on the road, and play Minnesota (RPI 39) tough even without having Evers for most of the game. And yet despite not having any major injuries, lose six of its last seven games. What happened? Starting with the game at Montana, pretty much nothing went right.

I think a lot of it has to do with the fact we aren't crushing it on the boards anymore.  Our rebounding margin has gone way down in conference play, and outside of PSU the board matchup has been very close or we have been outrebounded.

I think we can safely count on Loyd, Dyer and Szabla to all be consistent double-figures scorers next season. But as for the rest of the returnees, I think only Strand and maybe Sawatzke are capable of scoring more than about 4 per game. That's a problem. We will need Klabo, Freije, Hass and at least one of the incoming guards to be part of the regular rotation, and provide some offense.

I bet the team will actually score more per game next year.  I have noticed them developing a fast break that is starting to show signs.  With Evers gone I could see them becoming more of a running team.  There's certainly plenty of speed all the way down the bench.

I saw Klabo play again last night and can tell you she would fit in well in a running style as well.  She takes point guard duties on most fast breaks.

I bet the team will actually score more per game next year.  I have noticed them developing a fast break that is starting to show signs.  With Evers gone I could see them becoming more of a running team.  There's certainly plenty of speed all the way down the bench.

I saw Klabo play again last night and can tell you she would fit in well in a running style as well.  She takes point guard duties on most fast breaks.

It would have been really nice to have gotten both Klabo and Stewart. Especially since Stewart is on record as saying she was planning on going to UND until she got so much national recruiting attention while playing AAU ball last summer.

And I know they're technically "neutral" site games at BSC tourney but women have really struggled on the road all season so not optimistic about their chances. It seems like we've regressed the second half of the season, unlike some of the other teams who seemed to progress. Hopefully can turn it around but it won't be easy.

SEEMS like we've regressed?  I have seen lesser regression from a 5th grader with ADD.  This team has taken gigantic steps backward and the turnover situation has returned to where it was 2 years ago.  It would be tempting to institute a 15 second rule - when the shot clock gets to 15 whoever has the ball shoots before they turn it over.  At least the men's team loses close games.

It would have been really nice to have gotten both Klabo and Stewart. Especially since Stewart is on record as saying she was planning on going to UND until she got so much national recruiting attention while playing AAU ball last summer.

I'll give Stewart 2 years at Iowa then she'll transfer closer to home.

Klabo is the real deal. She doesn't have much around her at Davies.

I'll give Stewart 2 years at Iowa then she'll transfer closer to home.

Klabo is the real deal. She doesn't have much around her at Davies.

Where does Klabo get her points?  Back to the basket?  What kind of range does she have?  C or PF in college?  

Where does Klabo get her points? Back to the basket? What kind of range does she have? C or PF in college?

My guess would be playing the 4 with better ball and shooting skills than most 4s. Scores mostly inside now but can square up and shoot from 15 ft and out pretty well.

During the off season I see her a lot at the gym. She works a lot on off the dribble moves to the basket and pull up jumpers off the dribble.

SEEMS like we've regressed?  I have seen lesser regression from a 5th grader with ADD.  This team has taken gigantic steps backward and the turnover situation has returned to where it was 2 years ago.  It would be tempting to institute a 15 second rule - when the shot clock gets to 15 whoever has the ball shoots before they turn it over.  At least the men's team loses close games.

Yah, I was being nice. The turn-overs are killers. The rebounding margin has dropped dramatically. It all adds up to a bad 2nd half. To be honest though, I'd rather win more games and lose by a lot compared to a team that wins MUCh fewer games (style points at best) but loses many close ones. Point margin gets you no where, W-L do.

Where does Klabo get her points?  Back to the basket?  What kind of range does she have?  C or PF in college?  

At the HS level nobody can match up with her underneath, and the closer in she gets the more dominant.  But she's also comfortable shooting from the arc, and does occasionally.   Haven't seen much for back-in moves, she's much more of a face-you-up and break you down type.  But what impresses me most is the passing ability.  Despite her scoring average she seems unselfish and looks to pass first, and usually finds the open player.  Last night she might have had 10 assists if not for missed easy shots.  Oh and she is a good finisher, which is nice.  Nothing can kill momentum faster and frustrate fans more than a missed point blank layup.

Yah, I was being nice. The turn-overs are killers. The rebounding margin has dropped dramatically. It all adds up to a bad 2nd half. To be honest though, I'd rather win more games and lose by a lot compared to a team that wins MUCh fewer games (style points at best) but loses many close ones. Point margin gets you no where, W-L do.

Good point, the women have at least given themselves an opportunity to right the ship while the men's team leaves you wondering if they will ever be able to find a way to extend leads, make clutch baskets down the stretch, and finish games.  These are big issues and I don't know how you go about instilling or teaching these things.

Where does Klabo get her points? Back to the basket? What kind of range does she have? C or PF in college?

She just missed 2 FTs w 24 seconds left down 1...and Davies loses to Turtle Mt. in state quarterfinals.