SiouxSports.com Forum

2014-2015 NHL Season

MafiaMan

As a matter of fact I do have something against the Bruins, and at the same time you have something against the Penguins. That doesn't stop you from posting derogatory stuff about the Penguins, so I will continue to post derogatory stuff about the Bruins. What's good for the goose is good for the gander.

What do I have against the Penguins?

The Penguins didn't copy Boston, they copied the Steelers and Pirates. Pretty cool idea for all professional sports teams in a particular city to have the same colors. Furthermore, the original Pittsburgh Pirates NHL franchise way back in the 1920s had black and gold before the Bruins did. The Bruins were actually brown and gold before they were black and gold. There's your history lesson for the day.

Whatever you say Dave.

why do you think the Penguins copied Boston in the first place? :)

http://penguins.nhl.com/club/m_page.htm?id=56510

I can't find the link but the Bruins ownership objected to the Penguins' color change so much that they brought a Bruins jersey in Red Wings colors to a meeting. The owner chickened out and never showed off the jersey to prove his point. I wonder where that jersey is today...what a cool piece of hockey history.

http://penguins.nhl.com/club/m_page.htm?id=56510

I can't find the link but the Bruins ownership objected to the Penguins' color change so much that they brought a Bruins jersey in Red Wings colors to a meeting. The owner chickened out and never showed off the jersey to prove his point. I wonder where that jersey is today...what a cool piece of hockey history.

I guess that would shoot down DaveK's "100% factual story".

Well, the link shoots down the Bruins color conspiracy theory...

I was commenting about DaveK thinking the Penguins had the colors before the Bruins. Seeing as the Bruins were a hockey team almost 50 years before the Penguins.  That being said - silly argument.  I could really care less what color what team is. :bigsmile:

I was commenting about DaveK thinking the Penguins had the colors before the Bruins. Seeing as the Bruins were a hockey team almost 50 years before the Penguins.  That being said - silly argument.  I could really care less what color what team is. :bigsmile:

Isn't it just easier to say, "I don't give an F***?"  

On Jan. 30, 1980, the Penguins wore black and gold for the first time. With the Steelers winning the Super Bowl and the Pirates capturing the World Series title in the same year, the struggling Penguins hoped to gain fan support by aligning their colors with the other teams in the “City of Champions.”

5.jpg

Boston protested the color change to the NHL, arguing that black and gold had always been exclusively associated with the Bruins. However, the Penguins prevailed by virtue of a precedent set by the Pittsburgh Pirates hockey club of the late 1920’s, which sported the colors. The Pens’ new uniforms were the same design as the previous ones, with black replacing dark blue and gold replacing light blue. From 1981-82 through the 1984-85 season, the team alternated wearing gold sweaters with white at home.

Check-mate!!!

The Pittsburgh Pirates (baseball) original colors were red and blue and didn't become black and gold until 1948. The Boston Bruins went from brown and gold to black and gold in 1934. The Pittsburgh Pirates hockey team also wore the same colors as the Philadelphia Flyers when the Pirates were move to Philadelphia and changed the team name to the Quakers. The Pittsburgh Pirates hockey team has no connection to the Pittsburgh Penguins.  

• Upvote 1

While you are right that the Pittsburgh Pirates hockey team has no connection to the Penguins, the fact remains that the Bruins protest of the Penguins color change was denied by virtue of the fact that the city of Pittsburgh once had another NHL franchise with those colors. And really, who in their right mind would try to make a case for only one team in a particular league having a certain color combination? The Canadiens are red, white and blue... same as the Rangers. So what? In the NFL both the Cowboys and Lions wear blue and silver. So what? The Bruins were classless whiners to make something out of nothing when the Penguins changed their colors to match the NFL and MLB franchises from the same city.

These arguments happen all the time. The Lightning are catching lots of flack for looking like the Tampa Bay Maple Wings - and their new black BOLTS alternates look exactly like the Kings' black jerseys.

The Pittsburgh Pirates (baseball) original colors were red and blue and didn't become black and gold until 1948. The Boston Bruins went from brown and gold to black and gold in 1934. The Pittsburgh Pirates hockey team also wore the same colors as the Philadelphia Flyers when the Pirates were move to Philadelphia and changed the team name to the Quakers. The Pittsburgh Pirates hockey team has no connection to the Pittsburgh Penguins.

Oops....sorry Dave. :)