SiouxSports.com Forum

2014-2015 NHL Season

MafiaMan

Dubnyk was great in the 2nd half and real solid in the St. Louis series but after this series the Wild will have to be wondering a little more about just what kind of contract and how much they are willing to pay him.

I will give him a little slack for playing all those games with only one game off since he was acquired. Physically and mentally the guy had to be a little drained. If they can sign him to a one year deal for 4-5 mil that would be the way to go. Highly doubt that happens as some team will offer a 3 year deal to him.

After last night I'd say Michal Rozsival is done probably into next season. He didn't have good knees before that ugly spill. 

This is where Chicago the acquisition of Timonen may turn out to have been the right move. 

So does Rundblad take Rozsival's spot? 

Then again, if CHI can find a way to get Duncan Keith onto the ice for 68 minutes in a regulation game. I mean, he's close to that already ... :D 

So the Timonen trade has netted Philly a 2015 2nd round pick and now a 2016 3rd round pick. One more series win by Chicago and the 2016 pick becomes a 2nd rounder (assuming Timonen plays 50% of the games in the conference finals). Not a bad haul for Philadelphia as they're trying to rebuild.

Chicago's window is closing.   Yes Toews and Kane are entering peak years, but next year their cap hit becomes much higher.. That means a weaker roster down the line.    They will have a hard time keeping the rest of their top-six forwards and their depth defensemen.  Sharp has been mentioned as trade bait.   Saad needs to get paid.   And their farm system hasn't given them much for a while now.   Not to mention goaltending where there's no proven backup for Crawford.

I'm going to enjoy every minute of this run, but I think the balance of power shifts in the West, and not that far into the future.   

• Downvote 1

At no time...not even a second...did the Wild have a lead in this series. With Dubs playing like Crawford from round 1 this was a total mismatch. Wild desperately need a top line center...Koivu isn't it. But with Suter so grossly overpaid there is zero money to go get a true top line guy. Now I can cheer for my 2nd favorite team...Go Hawks!

Throw in how bad Vannek was & I agree with the rest ...Go Hawks

Chicago's window is closing. Yes Toews and Kane are entering peak years, but next year their cap hit becomes much higher.. That means a weaker roster down the line. They will have a hard time keeping the rest of their top-six forwards and their depth defensemen. Sharp has been mentioned as trade bait. Saad needs to get paid. And their farm system hasn't given them much for a while now. Not to mention goaltending where there's no proven backup for Crawford.

I'm going to enjoy every minute of this run, but I think the balance of power shifts in the West, and not that far into the future.

I'd take their roster over Minnesota's any day of the week and twice on Sunday. If their window is closing, then Minnesota's has been sealed tight with duct tape.
  • Upvote 4

I will give him a little slack for playing all those games with only one game off since he acquired. Physically and mentally the guy had to be a little drained. If they can sign him to a one year deal for 4-5 mil that would be the way to go. Highly doubt that happens as some team will offer a 3 year deal to him.

He only missed one or two games down the stretch and he probably needs a recharging.

The Wild are hamstrung with the Vanek and Pominville contracts.  They need to make the roster younger.  

They have a pretty good group of core guys in their early-mid 20's Granlund, Zucker, Nino, Coyle, Haula, Brodin, Dumba, Scandella, and Spurgeon. One thing I'd like to see going forward is Yeo to use these players more and have a little more trust in them. Having Pomminvillle on the point on the powerplay when he really struggled back there and Suter who isn't a great powerplay guy over guys like Dumba and Scandella never really made sense to me. I'll be interested to see what kind of moves Fletcher pulls off this offseason I could see him trying to move guys like Pomminville and Spurgeon can't imagine many moves in free agency besides getting Dubnyk signed. With not a whole lot of losses expected off this roster I would expect the Wild to contend again next year and hopefully take the next step.

They have a pretty good group of core guys in their early-mid 20's Granlund, Zucker, Nino, Coyle, Haula, Brodin, Dumba, Scandella, and Spurgeon. One thing I'd like to see going forward is Yeo to use these players more and have a little more trust in them. Having Pomminvillle on the point on the powerplay when he really struggled back there and Suter who isn't a great powerplay guy over guys like Dumba and Scandella never really made sense to me.

Word on the street is that the $98 million man was put on the power play unit by powers-that-be higher up than Yeo and Fletcher.

Word on the street is that the $98 million man was put on the power play unit by powers-that-be higher up than Yeo and Fletcher.

Hadn't heard that my friends and I have joked around before that they just looked at the payroll and threw the 5 highest paid players out their for the 1st powerplay unit for most of the season no matter whether the powerplay was producing or not.

Hadn't heard that my friends and I have joked around before that they just looked at the payroll and threw the 5 highest paid players out their for the 1st powerplay unit for most of the season no matter whether the powerplay was producing or not.

When you go to the circus you want to see the elephants. 

Chicago's window is closing.   Yes Toews and Kane are entering peak years, but next year their cap hit becomes much higher.. That means a weaker roster down the line.    They will have a hard time keeping the rest of their top-six forwards and their depth defensemen.  Sharp has been mentioned as trade bait.   Saad needs to get paid.   And their farm system hasn't given them much for a while now.   Not to mention goaltending where there's no proven backup for Crawford.

Chicago has 3 guys who will most likely get new deals at the end of the year Saad, Kruger, and Oduya. The only contract up at the end of the year that is more then a 3 year deal is Vermette, and he's not getting a deal like he did from the Coyotes from the Blackhawks. Darling is signed through 2017, so they will not be looking for another backup.

The rest of the core players are up the next two years. Seabrook, Versteeg, and Shaw in 2016 and Sharp and Bickell in 2017. Hjalmarsson's contract ends in 2019.