SiouxSports.com Forum

2014-2015 NHL Season

MafiaMan

Wild had some good chances but couldn't finish them and Crawford was pretty solid tonight. Dubnyk was very good for most of the game but the one that went in is one you shouldn't give up especially in the playoffs. Wild might win game 4 but can't see them coming back and they're going to have to take a long hard look at this team in the offseason. Koivu isn't a number 1 center on a good team anymore and maybe never was. They still lack guys that have great finishing ability and maybe the only one on the current team that I would put in that category is Zucker. One guy I would maybe look to move for a top 2 line center would be Pomminville a guy who was supposed to be that type of goal scorer but for as many chances as he gets doesn't finish on near enough of them.

Wild had some good chances but couldn't finish them and Crawford was pretty solid tonight. Dubnyk was very good for most of the game but the one that went in is one you shouldn't give up especially in the playoffs. Wild might win game 4 but can't see them coming back and they're going to have to take a long hard look at this team in the offseason. Koivu isn't be a number 1 center on a good team anymore and maybe never was. They still lack guys that have great finishing ability and maybe the only one on the current team that I would put in that category is Zucker. One guy I would maybe look to move for a top 2 line center would be Pomminville a guy who was supposed to be that type of goal scorer but for as many chances as he gets doesn't finish on near enough of them.

Win OR lose, they have a lot of holes in the lineup.   And with 2 guys taking up 15-20% of your salary cap, there's a lot less room to add high end players.   

Agree on your specific names above.  Koivu or Pominville could be moved to a contender who wants to win immediately.  

The organization suffers from a more fundamental problem - that of excessive attachment to getting Minnesota alumni / natives.   Until they get a neutral view - and since the rest of the NHL knows that's what the Wild want - they will be prone to overpaying for local talent.    The Vanek contract is just plain ridiculous, and coming right after a ridiculous contract to Heatly, that's a failure to learn from mistakes.  

By contrast, the Neiderreiter pickup was a fabulous, astute move.   

There's some excellent young talent - Brodin and Dumba to name a couple - that helped them lift their compete level this season.  Granlund is a fine player - but shouldn't be asked to be #1 center at this point in his career.  

On the plus side, the style of play is now entertaining, and they have most of the personnel needed to play uptempo puck possession fun-to-watch games.   Kudos to them for eliminating Lemaire from their style.

The organization suffers from a more fundamental problem - that of excessive attachment to getting Minnesota alumni / natives. Until they get a neutral view - and since the rest of the NHL knows that's what the Wild want - they will be prone to overpaying for local talent. The Vanek contract is just plain ridiculous, and coming right after a ridiculous contract to Heatley, that's a failure to learn from mistakes.

You couldn't be more wrong, farce. The Wild are a Phil Kessel, Kyle Okposo, and Mike Reilly trade away from getting over the hump!

• Upvote 1

Watch Mike Reilly sign with the Wild when he becomes a free agent.

I wouldn't mind that signing at all they don't have a whole lot of prospects on the left side. The #1 thing for the Wild as soon as the season is over will be getting an extension done with Dubnyk and I would hope they have already had talks with his agent.

You couldn't be more wrong, farce. The Wild are a Phil Kessel, Kyle Okposo, and Mike Reilly trade away from getting over the hump!

And the one ex-Gofer they should have kept, Nick Leddy, was traded for a used puck bag/Cam Barker.

I was trying to be funny. You are 100% correct - the Wild are obsessed with former college players, ex-Gophers in particular.

I suppose from a butts in the seats point of view, having "local" heroes does work, but the cup would be better

Whatever happened to the Tampa Bay "Malone"? Brad's cousin, if I recall.