SiouxSports.com Forum

Future UND/ Bison football Game

Dagger

I'm really enjoying the righteous indignation of the ac faithful re: Faison "whining" to the media.

Think I'll re-watch/re-read Gene Taylor "whine" to the media when Tim Brewster said he didn't want to schedule the ac anymore...and then again when Alvarez advocated the conference stop scheduling FCS teams.

Then I'll head over to BV to read all the posts ripping Gene for his "whining" to the media. Oh wait...

So precious.

You guys can e-mail me if you have questions about how this stuff works. Since a lot of wrong assumptions are being made, here you go:

I submitted the original open record request for e-mails a month or two ago. I received quite a few pages of e-mails dating back three years. The e-mails showed that the schools were not close to agreeing on a contract. If there were signs that they were close, we would have immediately run a story on it. Instead, we decided to do a broader, in-detail piece (a Sunday enterprise, as we call it) after the spring sports season when we start to lack local copy. We did not feel that any news organization was poking around in that direction. If anybody had done the same request in the last three years, the 2011 e-mails showing how close the schools were to playing would have been reported.

However, on May 13th, the SiouxFootballInsider Twitter account posted something about "interesting info" involving the UND-NDSU football game scheduling. That Twitter account/blog is followed by many other media people, and we knew that tweet would propel them to start digging into info. We did not want to get beat on a story that we had, so that night, we posted a story of the e-mails we had. It was not close to the piece we had envisioned doing in the early summer, but we felt we would get beat if we waited around. At the same time, knowing that TV stations would very likely be sending in their own open-record requests to get the info that we had, we decided to submit a second request to make sure there was nothing new that they would get and we would miss (in other words, anything since our initial request).

About a week later, I received that request from the general counsel of the North Dakota University System (who also sent me the first request). It had two more e-mails in it. I received the request at about noon. Assuming other news outlets were getting the same request, and that there was interesting info in it, I quickly filed a story showing the updates and put it online.

So, that's how it happened. It was not the piece we had hoped to do. Our stories still had holes in them (What happened in 2011? The two had seemingly agreed to two dates and were going out to lunch in Fargo. How did it not get done? We also would have liked to ask Faison what type of pay day would it take for UND to view the NDSU game as its guarantee game for the year). A comprehensive piece would have been much better. But once we figured others were on the trail, we had to change our plans.

No, I do not have Brian Faison's office bugged. No, he did not tell me, "Hey, open record request me, please!" (It would be great for us if he did inform us of his e-mails -- maybe it wouldn't have taken us three years to dig them up -- but unfortunately he does not). No, I did not find the e-mails and tell my editors, "Hey, I have a feeling someone is going to wear an absurd shirt to Springfest, so I think it's best if we publish it on Day 2 of Springfest stories, then throw it on the bottom of Page D1 to try to distract everyone from our 1A stories. What do you say, guys?!" I know, I know, it's hard to believe that it didn't actually play out that way.

Thank you for clearing up any misconceptions.

You guys can e-mail me if you have questions about how this stuff works. Since a lot of wrong assumptions are being made, here you go:

I submitted the original open record request for e-mails a month or two ago. I received quite a few pages of e-mails dating back three years. The e-mails showed that the schools were not close to agreeing on a contract. If there were signs that they were close, we would have immediately run a story on it. Instead, we decided to do a broader, in-detail piece (a Sunday enterprise, as we call it) after the spring sports season when we start to lack local copy. We did not feel that any news organization was poking around in that direction. If anybody had done the same request in the last three years, the 2011 e-mails showing how close the schools were to playing would have been reported.

However, on May 13th, the SiouxFootballInsider Twitter account posted something about "interesting info" involving the UND-NDSU football game scheduling. That Twitter account/blog is followed by many other media people, and we knew that tweet would propel them to start digging into info. We did not want to get beat on a story that we had, so that night, we posted a story of the e-mails we had. It was not close to the piece we had envisioned doing in the early summer, but we felt we would get beat if we waited around. At the same time, knowing that TV stations would very likely be sending in their own open-record requests to get the info that we had, we decided to submit a second request to make sure there was nothing new that they would get and we would miss (in other words, anything since our initial request).

About a week later, I received that request from the general counsel of the North Dakota University System (who also sent me the first request). It had two more e-mails in it. I received the request at about noon. Assuming other news outlets were getting the same request, and that there was interesting info in it, I quickly filed a story showing the updates and put it online.

So, that's how it happened. It was not the piece we had hoped to do. Our stories still had holes in them (What happened in 2011? The two had seemingly agreed to two dates and were going out to lunch in Fargo. How did it not get done? We also would have liked to ask Faison what type of pay day would it take for UND to view the NDSU game as its guarantee game for the year). A comprehensive piece would have been much better. But once we figured others were on the trail, we had to change our plans.

No, I do not have Brian Faison's office bugged. No, he did not tell me, "Hey, open record request me, please!" (It would be great for us if he did inform us of his e-mails -- maybe it wouldn't have taken us three years to dig them up -- but unfortunately he does not). No, I did not find the e-mails and tell my editors, "Hey, I have a feeling someone is going to wear an absurd shirt to Springfest, so I think it's best if we publish it on Day 2 of Springfest stories, then throw it on the bottom of Page D1 to try to distract everyone from our 1A stories. What do you say, guys?!" I know, I know, it's hard to believe that it didn't actually play out that way.

Thank you, Mr Schlossman. It is good to hear the story behind the story. Will be interesting to see how the Bison faithful spin it now. ;)

• Upvote 1

Yep no crying from BF when it comes to filling out a schedule. So when will Ferris State come back to Fargo? Or are you saving that spot for St. Cloud State?

You know dang well that Ferris State was a last minute addition when Montana State backed out at the 11th hour Darrell.

I saw both Ferris State and UND play this year and the Bulldogs would have beat UND easily.

Using the Media, as he is, is showing BF's true character.

You see, when a newspaper writer does his job and uncovers facts and information via his own due diligence, it is not really "Using the Media" just because those facts involve certain affected parties.

I know this method of reporting may seem foreign to those that are used to the coverage provided by FU's beat writer in the Forum, since Kolpack makes a scheduled weekly stop at Gene Taylors office to obtain a syllabus so he can learn what his articles will be for the week.

• Upvote 3

You know dang well that Ferris State was a last minute addition when Montana State backed out at the 11th hour Darrell.

I saw both Ferris State and UND play this year and the Bulldogs would have beat UND easily.

Now now dont try and confuse him with facts. Mindless accusations and hyperbole are his strong points.

................... You have the marvelous Brian Faison....His list of accomplishments at _nd is staggering..

Well, Faison did get North Dakota into the conference that Gene Taylor twice failed to do so for his school, so there is that.

• Upvote 3

In all of this verbal banter back and forth between fans of both schools a bit of irony may have taken place with the hiring of Coach Schweigert. Striking similarities and connections to Coach Hager!

1. Both are fine family men and basic decent people.

2. Both come from small town humble Class B backgrounds.

3. Both attended college somewhere other than UND or NDSU.

4. Bubba attended Jamestown College.

5. Rocky attended Minot State College.

6. Both have rugged nicknames but fairly innocuous given names Rocky(Ralph) and Bubba(Kyle)

7. Both developed intense passion about the schools they coached at but never attended as varsity athletes.

8. Both are relatively soft spoken believers in their respective schools, but yet both viewed the rivalry

as almost akin to a Holy War.

9. Both of their alma maters went from colleges to universities after they left.

10. Both were defensive coordinators before they became Head Coaches.

11. Rocky was born in 1951 and Bubba was 51 when he was hired.

12. Both coached at their respective schools two different times.

13. Both coached at other schools with dogs for nicknames SIU Salukis and Northeastern Huskies.

14. Both had a deep affection for their home State of North Dakota.

15. Both had to leave the State in order to come back and coach at UND and NDSU.

16. Both came from communities with predominately German origin, Coach Schweigert Zeeland and Coach Hager Harvey.

17. Two different eras two very similar men.

18. I thought this would make more sense, showing how the schools probably have much more in common, than the pissing contest that is currently going on in this thread. :)

Can anyone find anymore? Anything would be better than the mindless and repetitive tail chasing taking place. :silly:

Pretty hard to put much stock into Hammersmith's theory when he didn't even take into account the e-mail that was sent from the grassy knoll............

It is amazing how much Bison fans worship this guy and he posts drivel like that..

Yeah, you're right. I could see GT pulling something like that. Or he could just summon his media lap-dog buddies, Caillou and Izzo; they would stumble all over themselves with tweets and instaposts to get the word out for him as soon as he flashes the "Stream Yellow" bat signal.

You have a short memory. That's the problem with you rubes. That's standard operating procedure up there though so no surprises which is another reason to stay the hell away from this !@#$ show you guys have going on up there.

You see, when a newspaper writer does his job and uncovers facts and information via his own due diligence, it is not really "Using the Media" just because those facts involve certain affected parties.

I know this method of reporting may seem foreign to those that are used to the coverage provided by FU's beat writer in the Forum, since Kolpack makes a scheduled weekly stop at Gene Taylors office to obtain a syllabus so he can learn what his articles will be for the week.

Maybe he can do a story on the lack of show wear for hockey players up in el forko grande. Oh wait that would mean having to cover a story that doesn't put _nd in a good position. No you couldn't do that!

Yeah because we know how professional it is for a writer to go to a private "Non school supported" fan sports forum to explain his story. Yep it's so professional for a writer to post here explaining his version of the truth. Truth be told we hit the nail on the head and now he's in defense mode protecting the school up in el forko grande which is SOP for reporting (if you want to call it that) up at the heraldo. In reality its way closer to fiction but you goobers eat it up like it's gospel so hey enjoy the "good reporting" :lol:

And yet still no retort or rebuttal to the following:

Gene Taylor would be much more credible in all of this save for:

- Taylor proposed a plan, Faison accepted, Taylor backed out of his own offer <-- some would say Taylor reneged on a handshake agreement; poor form in North Dakota

- the home and home he's since scheduled with Weber State <-- don't even try to tell me that a home Weber State game is more valuable than a home UND game to NDSU; and the return game vs UND would be more cost effective (bus, no flight) for NDSU as well; so much for the 'economic circumstances' argument posed

Those two pesky details hurt Taylor's credibility.

Taylor would be better served to just stand up and say he'll never schedule UND under his watch.

Good Lord. Rube Nation has hit Siouxsports.

This idiot STILL can't admit he's wrong? It's the biggest case of narcissism I have ever seen on here and that's saying something. And he's bi-polar. Great convo. At least bison73 had the decency to recognize it and commented about clearing it up.