SiouxSports.com Forum

only people with sense of humor watch this video

gfhockey

You seem to be confused. UND never had a mascot, and hasn't even had a nickname for years now, while NDSU has a mascot closely associated with Indian culture. UND has the word "University" before "Dakota", while NDSU has them in the opposite order as drunkie recited. The father also clearly states it's a "state college", which strongly suggests he's referring to NDSU rather than UND.

Wow.

I have always said he stereotype the nickname opponents should have been after was the one shown in Family Guy, not the type portrayed by UND when we used the Fighting Sioux name. I think it proves my point that the PC folks were misguided.

That is the stereotype view that supporters had of Native Americans. That along with the free school lie. Or cut the Native American programs if "we" can't keep the name. Did you ever call out the degrading images on t-shirts or floats?

That is the stereotype view that supporters had of Native Americans. That along with the free school lie. Or cut the Native American programs if "we" can't keep the name. Did you ever call out the degrading images on t-shirts or floats?

Maybe we should not say of all natives. Those on the rez that give all natives a bad name on the other hand....

That is the stereotype view that supporters had of Native Americans.

Stereotype or unfortunate reality? Regarding alcohol:

Frequency of use among American Indians is generally less than the general population, but the quantity consumed when it is consumed is generally greater.*

* Beals J, Spicer P, Mitchell CM, et al. (October 2003). "Racial disparities in alcohol use: comparison of 2 American Indian reservation populations with national data". Am J Public Health 93 (10): 1683–5. doi:10.2105/AJPH.93.10.1683. PMC 1448033. PMID 14534221.

When an American Indian consumes alcohol it is consumed in greater quantity, leading to the "drunk" impression.

Unfortunate, but also more than likely the source of the stereotype, and there's the source data / academic citation.

At the University of Minnesota Morris (a public instituion within the University of Minnesota system) there is a program that provides a free education to Native Americans - don't know the details but it is in place and was shared during freshman orientation last year.

http://www.ehow.com/info_7826113_tuitionfree-college-american-indians.html

At the University of Minnesota Morris (a public instituion within the University of Minnesota system) there is a program that provides a free education to Native Americans - don't know the details but it is in place and was shared during freshman orientation last year.

A few years ago, an employee of UM Morris and I were chatting about their tuition waiver for American Indian students and she mentioned it was related to the campus previously being a boarding school. I found this on the UMM website:

http://www.morris.umn.edu/equitydiversity/financial/aitw/

http://www.ehow.com/...an-indians.html

We are talking about UND and not Morris.

I didn't but I was about 10 years old when the float in question was made so not in much position to do anything about it.

I am not sure what you mean about the free school lie. A friend of mine had his daughter transfer from Morehead State to UND because the cost was less than half due to the extra money she could get because they are NA. There is nothing wrong with that in my opinion but it is not a lie.

How's the fishing today?

Stereotype or unfortunate reality? Regarding alcohol:

Frequency of use among American Indians is generally less than the general population, but the quantity consumed when it is consumed is generally greater.*

* Beals J, Spicer P, Mitchell CM, et al. (October 2003). "Racial disparities in alcohol use: comparison of 2 American Indian reservation populations with national data". Am J Public Health 93 (10): 1683–5. doi:10.2105/AJPH.93.10.1683. PMC 1448033. PMID 14534221.

When an American Indian consumes alcohol it is consumed in greater quantity, leading to the "drunk" impression.

Unfortunate, but also more than likely the source of the stereotype, and there's the source data / academic citation.

Drinking culture drinking culture drinking culture. Germans have had it for centuries. It's kind of like driving culture too. Western civilizations have had cars since their invention and have strong driving culture whereas the eastern world does not. That's why driving in china and other places in like the Wild West.

• 2 weeks later...

Of all the drugs that are available for our consumption, alcohol is far and away the most abused by Native Americans. Why? There is research which suggests native americans are more suseptible to become alcoholics because of genetics. Another reason: my grandmother used to tell me of the trading post in Ft Tooten when she was a girl. They would sell the basic neccessities at inflated prices yet sell large quantities of liquor for pennies. The philosophy was keep the indians drunk and they wont cause any problems. Thats why the stereotype of the drunk indian us so hurtful.