SiouxSports.com Forum

here is a question

Fetch

The most important thing is you left out the fact that year was not a fluke. Following season he followed up with a 1.77 and a .936. Year before Hobey he 1.53 and a .932. Then look at the stellar career he has had in the NHL.

And left after 3rd season and didn't make NHL for 2-3 years as a full timer.....are you reading this Zane? Wilcox can ignore this post. :whistling:

Okay, here's a simple question: If it was between Ryan Miller and Johnny Gaudreau this year, who wins? I say it would be Gaudreau by a mile, with Miller a distant second and whomever else (doesn't really matter, does it?) third. And it's because Johnny Hockey plays on the East Coast in a major media market and Miller plays in the Midwest in a much smaller media market (East Lansing, MI). And because goaltenders generally get overlooked for these awards (only two goaltenders have ever won the Hobey), while forwards are usually favored too much. Unless of course you play in a place like North Dakota, in which case your resume is somehow just not up to par. :glare:

That's why I'm glad they finally came up with the Mike Richter award. Even amazing goalies frequently don't make the Hobey hattrick. And post-Miller, the standard set for a goalie winning it is so ridiculously high, no one will.

I'm a huge homer, but you can't argue with Miller's numbers. He was miles ahead of the next goalie. While Panzer had a nice lead in total points, he was 3rd in points per game. Starting in Millers' year (2001) 2 of the 14 winners are from the East. Hardly an East Coast bias.

Can u guys take the rodent back to the other post or start a new one

I think Mariucci has been trying. If he's the same guy who got banned on USCHO, he's a saint on this board.

But he is, after all, a gopher fan, so you can only expect so much.

Yeah I'm kinda freaked out how polite he was - actually he is one of the only goof fan I might consider sitting near unless he thinks every time they score he is on stage at the national spelling bee practicing how to spell the state he is from

I'm a huge homer, but you can't argue with Miller's numbers. He was miles ahead of the next goalie. While Panzer had a nice lead in total points, he was 3rd in points per game. Starting in Millers' year (2001) 2 of the 14 winners are from the East. Hardly an East Coast bias.

Yes, you can argue with his numbers, based on the fact he was in a weaker league than Panzer and he had a defense-first system in front of him (I know some people think that doesn't matter, but I think it does). Also, as others have pointed out on here, there are other goaltenders since 2001 that have put up great numbers as well. The idea that Ryan Miller is somehow untouchable just doesn't make sense when you look at all the stats.

And it's more than East Coast vs. Midwest, it's also Big School vs. Small School and that is one reason why Panzer was screwed out of the Hobey in 2001. And after 2001, you saw players from smaller schools and/or players that didn't play in big media markets win the award. Coincidence or a result of backlash from the 2001 decision (and some of the decisions made before that)? I guess that is open for debate, as is the relevancy of the Hobey Baker award itself.

Now I hate to see this end here - can someone put this info in a player what ncaa team then what pro team now

I'd like to print it out & save it & maybe research some of the player's

It could take me along time to type that out one finger at a time