SiouxSports.com Forum

here is a question

Fetch

Here's a few more, I am in the process of putting together a list anyways.

Chad Johnson, Alaska Fairbanks;

Cam Atkinson, Boston College; Brian Boyle, Boston College; Brian Gionta, Boston College; Brooks Orpik, Boston College; Rob Scuderi, Boston College;

Charlie Coyle, Boston University; Nick Bonino, Boston University;

Jaden Schwartz, Colorado College;

Lee Stempniak, Dartmouth; Ben Love Joy, Dartmouth; Tanner Glass

Matt Carle, Denver; Paul Stastny, Denver; Beau Bennett, Denver;

Craig Adams, Harvard;

Ben Bishop, Maine; Jimmy Howard, Maine;

Reilly Smith, Miami

Jack Johnson, Michigan; Max Pacioretty, Michigan;

Duncan Keith, Michigan State; Torey Krug, Michigan State, Corey Potter, Michigan State; Drew Miller, Michigan State; Justin Abdelkader, Michigan State; Ryan Miller, Michigan State; Chris Mueller, Michingan State

Jordan Leopold, Minnesota; Erik Johnson, Minnesota Erik Haula, Minnesota; Keith Ballard, Minnesota; Thomas Vanek, Minnesota; Nick Leddy, Minnesota; Alex Goligoski, Minnesota

David Backes, Minnesota State; Tim Jackman, Minnesota State

Justin Florek, Northern Michigan;

Kyle Palmieri, Notre Dame

Nate Guenin, Ohio State;

George Parros, Princeton

Brandon Bollig, St Lawrence;

Jonathan Quick, UMASS;

Matt Greene, UND; T.J. Oshie, Chris Porter, UND; Jonathan Toews, UND; Brad Malone, UND; Matt Frattin, UND.

Kevan Miller, Vermont; Martin St. Louis, Vermont; Tim Thomas, Vermont;

Rene Bourque, Wisconsin; Ryan McDonagh, Wisconsin; Joe Pavelski, Wisconsin; Brendan Smith

Would it not be easier to list the school and then the players instead of listing players and schools?

But according to Mariucci, Miller is the greatest thing since sliced bread. :silly::p

I, however, agree with you.

How about Stauber that Hobey stealing ahole who stole it from Paul Ranheim? I wonder how he would have responded if the Rodnets had a player like Panzer that did not win? Who wants to bet he would have a different response?

How about Stauber that Hobey stealing ahole who stole it from Paul Ranheim? I wonder how he would have responded if the Rodnets had a player like Panzer that did not win? Who wants to bet he would have a different response?

I'm not one to say Panzer was "robbed", because I think Miller did have an unbelievable season, but I think it is odd that Mariucci is always lurking on this site looking to put a contrarian spin on everything. His obsession knows no bounds.

Yes, this is all subjective and dependent on whose ox is getting gored. But I think the original poster was trying to be a smart-mouth and didn't use an emoticon to illustrate that. And I used it to take a shot at Mariucci, whom I was having a debate on another thread on this topic.

I think the Gophers have had players like Panzer that didn't win it. Johnny Pohl led the nation in scoring but wasn't even a top ten finalist. Ryan Potulny also led the nation in scoring and goals(38) and wasn't a top 3 candidate. Like I said before, seasons like the one Panzer had are a dime a dozen, they happen almost every year. What Miller did had NEVER happened and hasn't been repeated since.

It was just bad luck that Panzer's great season coincided with the greatest season by a goalie in college hockey history. There was no eastern bias in play. It was just an obvious choice that year.

I think the Gophers have had players like Panzer that didn't win it. Johnny Pohl led the nation in scoring but wasn't even a top ten finalist. Ryan Potulny also led the nation in scoring and goals(38) and wasn't a top 3 candidate. Like I said before, seasons like the one Panzer had are a dime a dozen, they happen almost every year. What Miller did had NEVER happened and hasn't been repeated since.

It was just bad luck that Panzer's great season coincided with the greatest season by a goalie in college hockey history. There was no eastern bias in play. It was just an obvious choice that year.

First of all, don't even bring that one-dimensional cherry-picker Johnny Pohl into the discussion. :angry:

Second of all, Panzer was not a "dime a dozen" player. I don't think we've had a forward with the well-rounded game that Panzer brought to the ice since he graduated in 2001. If anybody is a "dime a dozen" player, it's Johnny Pohl.

Third of all, I don't think Miller would have had a .950 save percentage if he played on a more wide-open team like North Dakota or Boston College (the two teams in that year's NCAA title game). It would certainly have been above .900, but it wouldn't have been quite as good. I imagine Karl Goehring would have had an even better save percentage than he did if he had played behind a more conservative system than what Blais put in at North Dakota.

Finally, I am with you on Ryan Potulny; not putting him in the Hobey Hat Trick was a joke and another example of how subjective this award really is.

First of all, don't even bring that one-dimensional cherry-picker Johnny Pohl into the discussion. :angry:

Second of all, Panzer was not a "dime a dozen" player. I don't think we've had a forward with the well-rounded game that Panzer brought to the ice since he graduated in 2001. If anybody is a "dime a dozen" player, it's Johnny Pohl.

Third of all, I don't think Miller would have had a .950 save percentage if he played on a more wide-open team like North Dakota or Boston College (the two teams in that year's NCAA title game). It would certainly have been above .900, but it wouldn't have been quite as good. I imagine Karl Goehring would have had an even better save percentage than he did if he had played behind a more conservative system than what Blais put in at North Dakota.

Finally, I am with you on Ryan Potulny; not putting him in the Hobey Hat Trick was a joke and another example of how subjective this award really is.

You must be thinking of someone else besides Johnny Pohl because NOBODY who watched him would consider him a lazy cherry picker. In fact he was quite the opposite. He was a very well rounded forward who hustled his ass off on both ends of the ice. Vanek and Kessel could be described with your words but certainly not Pohl.

And I don't care what team or what system you play in. If a .950 save percentage isn't good enough for you to win the Hobey then I'm not sure what is. You think Goehring would have had a similar save percentage as Miller in that system? Brian Elliott was definitely better than Goehring and played in UW's defensive system and the best he could do was a .938 save%. I don't think you truly understand what Miller accomplished that season.

Again, Panzer was MORE than worthy of the award and in most season he would have won it. It was just bad timing.

You must be thinking of someone else besides Johnny Pohl because NOBODY who watched him would consider him a lazy cherry picker. In fact he was quite the opposite. He was a very well rounded forward who hustled his ass off on both ends of the ice. Vanek and Kessel could be described with your words but certainly not Pohl.

And I don't care what team or what system you play in. If a .950 save percentage isn't good enough for you to win the Hobey then I'm not sure what is. You think Goehring would have had a similar save percentage as Miller in that system? Brian Elliott was definitely better than Goehring and played in UW's defensive system and the best he could do was a .938 save%. I don't think you truly understand what Miller accomplished that season.

Again, Panzer was MORE than worthy of the award and in most season he would have won it. It was just bad timing.

JPL was damn close to what Miller put up (number wise) in 2008; 42 GP, 1.75 GAA, .932 PCT and 6 SO and he lost out to Kevin Porter.

JPL was damn close to what Miller put up (number wise) in 2008; 42 GP, 1.75 GAA, .932 PCT and 6 SO and he lost out to Kevin Porter.

I don't agree that those numbers compare to Millers. .932 vs .950. 6 shutouts compared to 10. 1.75 GAA to 1.32. This is my point. Lot's of goalies have had great years but Miller's numbers are so outrageous they almost seem fake.

I don't agree that those numbers compare to Millers. .932 vs .950. 6 shutouts compared to 10. 1.75 GAA to 1.32. This is my point. Lot's of goalies have had great years but Miller's numbers are so outrageous they almost seem fake.

The most important thing is you left out the fact that year was not a fluke. Following season he followed up with a 1.77 and a .936. Year before Hobey he 1.53 and a .932. Then look at the stellar career he has had in the NHL.

Since the 2001-2002 season only one player has scored more points that Jeff Panzer (Peter Sejna 82 points 02-03). So season like Panzer's arn't exactly a "dime a dozen" as you say.

In 03-04 Jimmy Howard posted a 1.19 GAA, .956 PCT and 6 SO. In 04-05 David McKee had a 1.24 GAA, .947 PCT and 10 SO. By your standards McKee should've won the Hobey that year.

Okay, here's a simple question: If it was between Ryan Miller and Johnny Gaudreau this year, who wins? I say it would be Gaudreau by a mile, with Miller a distant second and whomever else (doesn't really matter, does it?) third. And it's because Johnny Hockey plays on the East Coast in a major media market and Miller plays in the Midwest in a much smaller media market (East Lansing, MI). And because goaltenders generally get overlooked for these awards (only two goaltenders have ever won the Hobey), while forwards are usually favored too much. Unless of course you play in a place like North Dakota, in which case your resume is somehow just not up to par. :glare:

And this idea that Karl Goehring was somehow "not that good" is pure baloney. Karl Goehring was as good as anyone else that ever played the position at UND. Without him, UND could not have played their "Speed Kills" system without giving up more goals than they would have liked. I really get sick and tired of people dismissing Goehring off-hand. I watched him play for four years, he was a great player the moment he set foot on the ice and he was one of the backbones of those legendary teams of the 1990's and early 2000's.