SiouxSports.com Forum

Class B Tournament in Grand Forks

SiouxVolley

How many people will show up at the Class B tournament? With Western Michigan facing UND in the Ralph, it won't even be the biggest event in the city. In Bismarck or Minot, it would be by far the biggest even this winter/spring. Even Fargo doesn't have anything to compare.

At Alerus Center

Thursday

1 p.m. -- Fargo Oak Grove (No. 2 seed) vs. Flasher

2:45 p.m. -- Cavalier (No. 3 seed) vs. Linton-HMB

6:30 p.m. -- Rugby (No. 1 seed) vs. New Town

8:15 p.m. -- Beulah (No. 4 seed) vs. North Star

How many people will show up at the Class B tournament? With Western Michigan facing UND in the Ralph, it won't even be the biggest event in the city. In Bismarck or Minot, it would be by far the biggest even this winter/spring. Even Fargo doesn't have anything to compare.

At Alerus Center

Thursday

I am of the opinion that class B should always be in Bismarck or Minot.

• Upvote 2

At Alerus Center

Thursday

I actually miss the old days of towns and hyphenated towns...

HMB? Hazelton Moffit, Braddock?

North Star?

Cando/Bisbee-Egeland

Thanks...nice to be able to put names with co-ops like "Heart River," "Dakota Prairie," and "North Star."

Boy I've been gone a long time...

Cando used to be the Cubs...don't remember Bisbee-Egeland's nickname but I remember one of their players was an intramural stud over at Hyslop back in the day - Kurt Waldbillig.

High School BB has a huge following in SW North Dakota/Bismarck area as well. There are a lot of fans who attend the games for the love of the tournament - even if their team isn't playing. It's tough for them to justify a trip to Grand Forks. It would be the equivalent of Fargo/Wahpeton fans going up to Williston for a state tournament.

I'm very excited that this is returning back to being the LAST North Dakota high school tournament of the year - it is the Granddaddy of them all and it deserves to be the finale.

Oak Grove will be tough, Rugby is a solid choice. I'm going with Cavalier; solid tradition, Region 2 site advantage, and I don't believe they have ever won the big one, have they?

Did you play against Dave Osborn also,he was a cub.

Thanks...nice to be able to put names with co-ops like "Heart River," "Dakota Prairie," and "North Star."

Boy I've been gone a long time...

Cando used to be the Cubs...don't remember Bisbee-Egeland's nickname but I remember one of their players was an intramural stud over at Hyslop back in the day - Kurt Waldbillig.

This may sound like a dumb question but why are there different classes for sports like basketball where only 5 kids play on the court at a time? You never see Grand Forks Central vs Thompson or Dakota Prairie vs Devils Lake. I get football where you need a bigger team, but not basketball or volleyball. It's not like the talent level is really that different like the pros. Just curious.

High School BB has a huge following in SW North Dakota/Bismarck area as well. There are a lot of fans who attend the games for the love of the tournament - even if their team isn't playing. It's tough for them to justify a trip to Grand Forks. It would be the equivalent of Fargo/Wahpeton fans going up to Williston for a state tournament.

I'm very excited that this is returning back to being the LAST North Dakota high school tournament of the year - it is the Granddaddy of them all and it deserves to be the finale.

Oak Grove will be tough, Rugby is a solid choice. I'm going with Cavalier; solid tradition, Region 2 site advantage, and I don't believe they have ever won the big one, have they?

Cavalier, Beulah, and Rugby all used to be Class A, so they missed out on a number of chances at Class A. Cavalier was Class A for 40 years and hardly went to the Class A tournament. Rugby won the Class A tournament if the 60's.

This may sound like a dumb question but why are there different classes for sports like basketball where only 5 kids play on the court at a time? You never see Grand Forks Central vs Thompson or Dakota Prairie vs Devils Lake. I get football where you need a bigger team, but not basketball or volleyball. It's not like the talent level is really that different like the pros. Just curious.

50 kids vs 500 kids, which will produce a better team? Only once in a blue moon will a small school produce 6'5" players that can shoot. Bigger schools produce them almost annually.

Simply put, it's a numbers game. GFC has hundreds of kids to draw from for their team. Thompson, etc have tens of students to draw from. Sure the top Class B teams may be able to compete with the A teams, but the majority of B teams would not be able to consistently compete with the A teams.

Simply put, it's a numbers game. GFC has hundreds of kids to draw from for their team. Thompson, etc have tens of students to draw from. Sure the top Class B teams may be able to compete with the A teams, but the majority of B teams would not be able to consistently compete with the A teams.

What is the cut off point between A and B? 1000? 1500?

What is the cut off point between A and B? 1000? 1500?

It's been 325, which is too low for 10-12. But some Class B towns have 20 kids in 10-12.

Valley City and Devils Lake have to compete against schools nearly 10 times their size.

Minot is the largest Class A school with nearly 3000, but the voters are against a split in Minot.

Don't have the numbers, but the smallest Class B team at state is probably Flasher. Many of other Class B school are some of the largest (Beulah, New Town, Oak Grove, Rugby) Linton and Cavalier used to be "big", but they are probably 1/3rd of what they used to be.

It also reads like a dumb question.

• Upvote 1

The odds of finding 5 boys that can play quality basketball in a school that has only 25 of them are a lot less probable than the odds of finding 5 in Dickinson, Fargo, Bismarck, or Grand Forks.

The odds of finding 5 boys that can play quality basketball in a school that has only 25 of them are a lot less probable than the odds of finding 5 in Dickinson, Fargo, Bismarck, or Grand Forks.

Don't tell that to the Epping fans. :)

They've had some good recruiting years

They have. I hate Dickinson Trinity like folks here in MSP hate St Thomas Academy and Hill-Murray.

Disclaimer: I don't hate it enough to torch it like the principal apparently did on Monday!

• Upvote 1