SiouxSports.com Forum

UND and the Big Sky could go FBS

SiouxVolley

5 minutes ago, UND1983 said:

Was the CAA ever an FBS conference?

No.  UMass, ODU, UConn and Ga St used to be football members before they got FBS offers.

JMU, Delaware, Stony Brook, Albany, UNH, and Towson have FBS potential.

Villanova is a CAA football member too and flirted with Big East fb membership when the Big East used to be a fb conference.

2 hours ago, SiouxVolley said:

If a league has eight FBS teams that are fully transitioned and are full members, the NCAA will declare it an FBS league.  Pretty simple, but not to someone who has never read the NCAA manual.

A new FBS  league wouldn't get a cut of the CFP though, as that contract is negotiated with the FBS leagues and not the NCAA.  A renegotiated contract is upcoming in the mid 2020's.  That may be bigger money for G5's than now.

Where are the eight fulky transitioned FBS members in a new WAC? Isn't that saying 8 currenr FBS schools can form a new league? Not one FBS and 7 FCS schools.

2 hours ago, homer said:

The western FBS conferences would not be as apposed to it as you imply.   If the push continues to be strength of schedule for the postseason, they need more options than the MWC.  

If strength of schedule is an issue, FBS teams will schedule MVFC schools before any WCA/BSC combo or Sun Belt team for that matter. 

1 hour ago, Herd said:

Why wasn't the CAA allowed to move up enmass?   

Quite simply, the CAA was never an FBS conference. The WAC and retains the "magic power" to make FBS invitations to FBS. That is clear from the report Idaho put out.

Western Athletic Conference
Collegiate Consulting has had multiple discussions with the WAC regarding its grandfathered status as a FBS conference, despite not offering football as a sport for two-plus years. Marlon Edge, the WAC’s compliance officer, confirmed with the NCAA that the WAC does meet the criteria. ... 

NCAA Bylaw 20.4.2.1.1
Eligibility for Reclassification - Before a Football Championship Subdivision institution may apply for reclassification to the Football Bowl Subdivision, the institution must receive a bona fide invitation for membership from a Football Bowl Subdivision conference or a conference that previously met the definition of a Football Bowl Subdivision conference.

6 minutes ago, nd1sufan said:

If strength of schedule is an issue, FBS teams will schedule MVFC schools before any WCA/BSC combo or Sun Belt team for that matter. 

But FBS games matter/count more for SoS than FCS games. And they pay better (see the analysis by NMSU). 

I ran into one of the men's athletic staff a few days ago and said to him I hear football is moving up to FBS in a couple weeks.   He laughed and said Don't believe everything you read on the internet.   I will say, SV is doing a pretty good troll job though.

• Downvote 1

12 minutes ago, nd1sufan said:

Where are the eight fulky transitioned FBS members in a new WAC? Isn't that saying 8 currenr FBS schools can form a new league? Not one FBS and 7 FCS schools.

Seven FBS or FBS desiring schools would have to be invited to WAC. Always said a conference needs eight FBS full members , but bizon trolls never seem to get it.  The WAC can bestow an FCS member FBS privileges according to the NCAA. 

One FBS and seven FCS members can become an FBS conference, but only in the WAC

5 minutes ago, TRex said:

I ran into one of the men's athletic staff a few days ago and said to him I hear football is moving up to FBS in a couple weeks.   He laughed and said Don't believe everything you read on the internet.   I will say, SV is doing a pretty good troll job though.

I never read where SV said we are moving up in a couple weeks...where was this said?

• Upvote 1

15 minutes ago, nd1sufan said:

The SEC and Big 12 are on the verge of prohibiting FCS scheduling.  A guarantee game against North Texas or Wyoming makes much more sense than against NDSU.

22 minutes ago, nd1sufan said:

The top few teams of the MVFC or Big Sky are likely better than a lot of FBS teams.  However, therw will be a shift where FCS games no longer happen.  

54 minutes ago, SiouxVolley said:

CAA teams never were invited to the WAC and control assume control of the WAC'scout invite mechanisms.  NMSU, Seattle, and formerly Idaho and Denver were in control and could have invited a whole conference.  WAC Commissioner Hurd, who is from Minot originally, said an FCS conference from the Midwest wanted to merge with the WAC and make a bunch of its schools FBS. But those schools would then kick out Idaho and Seattle, so they put the kabosh to any merger and the MVC is FCS to this day.

MVC is a non-football conference. 

10 minutes ago, darell1976 said:

I never read where SV said we are moving up in a couple weeks...where was this said?

Well his claims of when NCAA rule changes, Idaho rescinding its FCS move, etc have come and gone with no such announcements. 

37 minutes ago, TRex said:

Hajdu and anybody else in the AD department wouldn't know about stretch strategic plans.  Faison would and maybe Brekke, but that's it.

34 minutes ago, SiouxVolley said:

Seven FBS or FBS desiring schools would have to be invited to WAC. Always said a conference needs eight FBS full members , but bizon trolls never seem to get it.  The WAC can bestow an FCS member FBS privileges according to the NCAA. 

One FBS and seven FCS members can become an FBS conference, but only in the WAC

What counts as a full FBS member? A conference can't just declare a school a full member. If that were the case, why did NDSU and UND have to wiat until their 5th year of transitioning to become a full member?

• Downvote 1

3 minutes ago, SiouxVolley said:

Hajdu and anybody else in the AD department wouldn't know about stretch strategic plans.  Faison would and maybe Brekke, but that's it.

So it's Top Secret huh?   No discussion at all as to the repercussions of such a move?   Even I know better.

5 minutes ago, nd1sufan said:

What counts as a full FBS member? A conference can't just declare a school a full member. If that were the case, why did NDSU and UND have to wiat until their 5th year of transitioning to become a full member?

An FBS conference must have eight fully participating FBS members.  That means eight schools that play both FBS and basketball.

A conference like the CAA, MVC, or MVFC cannot be a theoretical FBS conference without major membership changes.  The WAC would need those changes too, but just swap some Big Sky FCS with WAC non-football members.

5 minutes ago, TRex said:

So it's Top Secret huh?   No discussion at all as to the repercussions of such a move?   Even I know better.

Yep, and who better to organize a top secret highly strategic plan than Brian Faison. If that isn't a recipe for sucess I don't know what is...:blink:

4 minutes ago, TRex said:

So I guess the athletic departments peons at Maryland, Nebraska, West Virginia, Louisville,  Rutgers, TCU, Utah, Colorado, etc knew they were changing conferences too a year or two before  ...  not.

You proved you know nothing about conference changes.  Those people are the last to know.

18 minutes ago, nd1sufan said:

Might I be so bold as to recommend that you read section 20, specifically 20.9, of the NCAA DI manual to become more educated on the subject. 

• Upvote 1

8 minutes ago, nd1sufan said:

Yep, and who better to organize a top secret highly strategic plan than Brian Faison. If that isn't a recipe for sucess I don't know what is...:blink:

Faison, ... Faison, ... Where'd he come from again ... Hmmm ...

6 minutes ago, nd1sufan said:

Was it a school that made a sucessful transition from FCS to FBS under his leadership?

The correct answer is WAC member, and trying to keep its FBS status, New Mexico State. Think he might know a few more things about NMSU and the WAC than the rest of us?

2 minutes ago, The Sicatoka said:

The correct answer is WAC member, and trying to keep its FBS status, New Mexico State. Think he might know a few more things about NMSU and the WAC than the rest of us?

Oh yes, that FBS powerhouse NMSU. That "Big Time" school whose athletic budget is smaler than both UND and NDSU. He does know something about NMSU and WAC football, and if he is smart, he wants nothing to do with an association with either of them.

• Downvote 1