SiouxSports.com Forum

ND High School Hockey Tournament

darell1976

Thanks for helping to explain. Yes, I got outplayed by a little French Canadian freshman named Phil.... :lol:

On a side note, that was when the tournament was still at the old Ralph, and Central's student section was EPIC. Wish the crowds were close to what they used to be.

I think that was the 2000 tournament, the next to last one in that building. I was in my final year of college and I watched that game. I believe Central had some dangerous forwards that year, so that partially explains your performance. ;)

And you are right, the tournament is not even close to what it once was. It was a must-see event in the 1980's and 1990's; now the student sections are half the size they used to be and three-quarters of the kids there are texting and surfing the web on their phones! :sad: I'm starting to sound like an old person! :p

I heard that they changed the enrollment rules for students so that kids wouldn't transfer just to play on a particular team. A kid can transfer to a different school, but then are ineligible to play athletics for that school. Someone correct me if I am wrong.

If the parents move too the kid is eligible to play right away.

That would be a battle with Moorhead, Roseau, and Warroad battling it out in 8AA to go to the state tournament.

Yeah it may actually stop the annual Moorhead/Roseau title game once and a while, even though they would all be AA EGF is still the best team in NW Minnesota right now and is set up pretty well for the future too.

Yeah it may actually stop the annual Moorhead/Roseau title game once and a while, even though they would all be AA EGF is still the best team in NW Minnesota right now and is set up pretty well for the future too.

EGF has handled them all this year. I saw them pound Roseau 6-2 and it shouldn't have been that close.

Whatever they are doing in EGF to promote youth development in hockey is working. We normally played EGF pretty close at the youth levels and even into high school, but now they are just on another planet.

Guess it helps to have names like Poolman and Eades suiting up for you at the high school level. But like SiouxScore mentioned, the youth levels in EGF are having success as well.

I think that was the 2000 tournament, the next to last one in that building. I was in my final year of college and I watched that game. I believe Central had some dangerous forwards that year, so that partially explains your performance. ;)

And you are right, the tournament is not even close to what it once was. It was a must-see event in the 1980's and 1990's; now the student sections are half the size they used to be and three-quarters of the kids there are texting and surfing the web on their phones! :sad: I'm starting to sound like an old person! :p

I'm glad someone else confirmed this. I watched the live streaming yesterday and was shocked at the lack of attendance. The tournaments in the early 80's when I was in HS were jammed packed. Off course that was the old Ralph but I can't imagine they had more than a couple thousand people at yesterdays games.