SiouxSports.com Forum

UNO @ NORTH DAKOTA - Saturday

gfhockey

Neither was Hak and Guentzel has never got the chance. Funny how the Gophers went down without him and up with him back.

He may end up being a very good head coach, but he hasn't done it yet. Hak has made the NCAA tournament every year he has been head coach, and UND has the longest current streak of being in the tournament. I don't think many AD's would fire a successful coach just so they could hire an assistant with potential.

He may end up being a very good head coach, but he hasn't done it yet. Hak has made the NCAA tournament every year he has been head coach, and UND has the longest current streak of being in the tournament. I don't think many AD's would fire a successful coach just so they could hire an assistant with potential.

That all depend on how they measure success. It used to be in championships but now it may be in dollars for all we know.

• Upvote 1

I understand the "making the tournament" argument because it means UND has a chance ever year. However, at what point does simply making the Top 8 or Top 4 become not enough for a program that is Top 3 in "advantages" (facilities, support, history). Honestly, who has more built-in advantages than UND? Minnesota, BC, Michigan?

What I have seen is Hakstol is only as good as his recruiting. When he has Toews, Oshie, Duncan, etc. than his teams were pretty good. When he doesn't have one or two of the best players in the country his teams are pretty good (5-10 range). Has a UND team ever overachieved and went to the FF when they weren't supposed to or won it all?

I understand the "making the tournament" argument because it means UND has a chance ever year. However, at what point does simply making the Top 8 or Top 4 become not enough for a program that is Top 3 in "advantages" (facilities, support, history). Honestly, who has more built-in advantages than UND? Minnesota, BC, Michigan?

What I have seen is Hakstol is only as good as his recruiting. When he has Toews, Oshie, Duncan, etc. than his teams were pretty good. When he doesn't have one or two of the best players in the country his teams are pretty good (5-10 range). Has a UND team ever overachieved and went to the FF when they weren't supposed to or won it all?

Some of the best coaches in college history took a long time to win their first national title, or had long stretches between national titles. Jerry York and Red Berenson are 2 examples. You can't win the title if you aren't in the tournament, and Hak has a good record of getting into the tournament.

I am still willing to give Hakstol the benefit of the doubt. He has lost some very high level recruits early or as in Tambelini case recently. This Team does not have the talent or size needed without those guys. We should be happy they are doing as well as they are with the terrible let downs we have had sickness, injury.

Some of the best coaches in college history took a long time to win their first national title, or had long stretches between national titles. Jerry York and Red Berenson are 2 examples. You can't win the title if you aren't in the tournament, and Hak has a good record of getting into the tournament.

Then losing while being out coached.

Has he had the chance Hak had? No. Did a top program in the country tank after he left and revive on his return? Yes. Can Hak say that? No.

You seem to have to buy into a system to win it all, that being said look at what happened to Michigan when they did not respect the Bulldogs.

Who was the bigger favorite, Michigan over BU in 1997 or North Dakota over Michigan in 2011? Upsets happen.

Are you referring to the 2011 title game? How did Michigan "not respect" the Bulldogs?

They did not play the dump the puck out of the defensive zone game every time they got the chance like they did with us. They also played them

straight up unlike us, where they stood us up and slowed us down at the blue line. The game against Duluth was not a game of slow down, that is

why I said Michigan did not respect Duluth's ability to play.

Who was the bigger favorite, Michigan over BU in 1997 or North Dakota over Michigan in 2011? Upsets happen.

Are you referring to the 2011 title game? How did Michigan "not respect" the Bulldogs?

I guess, that' a new one for me, too.

They did not play the dump the puck out of the defensive zone game every time they got the chance like they did with us. They also played them

straight up unlike us, where they stood us up and slowed us down at the blue line. The game against Duluth was not a game of slow down, that is

why I said Michigan did not respect Duluth's ability to play.

Michigan was about 5:00 away from being a national champion. I don't think a 3-2 OT loss in the national championship game is any reason to suggest a lack of respect for the opposition by Michigan.

Did you also notice UMD carry the puck into the zone on the PP as opposed to dumping it in and chasing it?