SiouxSports.com Forum

Spring time for Bubba and UND

geaux_sioux

Other than Sparks I don't recall any of these players having any other offers when they were recruited. I'll also add that three of the players are walk-ons (Schmitz, Vesledahl, and Selland) and it's pretty unfair to criticize a walk-on for leaving a the program if they don't see playing time in their future. This last comment isn't directed at you but some of the other posters in this thread.

You mention the fact that many of these guys didn't have other offers. The fact is that a limited % of all signees in recent years had other offers. I am sure that the following stats are not totally accurate but this was the "known" status at the time of the signings:

Year Signees Other Offers

2011 23 6

2012 24 5

2013 24 6

(I can't get the proper spacing!!)

In many of the last few years, there has been a lot of excitement over our signing classes. I haven't wanted to "rain on the parade" but I have been following UND recruiting and recruiting in general for many years. There are some good prospects each year that don't have other offers but, as a rule, there is normally a good reason (talent, size or attitude) that kids don't receive offers - I think this is a major factor in our recent lack of success on the field and the large turnover of players.

In Bubba's first class, 14 of the 25 signees had other offers. Offers are more publicized now than in the past but I really don't believe there is much credence to an argument that this is a major factor in the larger number this year. Despite the late start this year, I believe we are certainly headed in the right direction!

Again, don't get overly analytical of the exact numbers - I am sure they are not totally accurate but they do tell a story!!

You mention the fact that many of these guys didn't have other offers. The fact is that a limited % of all signees in recent years had other offers. I am sure that the following stats are not totally accurate but this was the "known" status at the time of the signings:

Year Signees Other Offers

2011 23 6

2012 24 5

2013 24 6

(I can't get the proper spacing!!)

In many of the last few years, there has been a lot of excitement over our signing classes. I haven't wanted to "rain on the parade" but I have been following UND recruiting and recruiting in general for many years. There are some good prospects each year that don't have other offers but, as a rule, there is normally a good reason (talent, size or attitude) that kids don't receive offers - I think this is a major factor in our recent lack of success on the field and the large turnover of players.

In Bubba's first class, 14 of the 25 signees had other offers. Offers are more publicized now than in the past but I really don't believe there is much credence to an argument that this is a major factor in the larger number this year. Despite the late start this year, I believe we are certainly headed in the right direction!

Again, don't get overly analytical of the exact numbers - I am sure they are totally accurate but they do tell a story!!

It certainly seems like Bubba and his staff will be recruiting top-notch FCS talent, even if it means putting up a fight with the agricultural establishment to the south. Also, I love the fact that they are "always recruiting" and willing to bring in JUCOs and FBS transfers to make the team better. I believe we need that in order to get real competitive talent.

It certainly seems like Bubba and his staff will be recruiting top-notch FCS talent, even if it means putting up a fight with the agricultural establishment to the south. Also, I love the fact that they are "always recruiting" and willing to bring in JUCOs and FBS transfers to make the team better. I believe we need that in order to get real competitive talent.

I've never been excited about bringing in Juco's or transfers. In our case now, we have no other choice, but we are throwing together a bunch of kids who nothing about each other or our program and doing it in a very short period of time. I had high expectations for us for this year, but I am now scaling back.

It's really disappointing that so many of these guys didn't work out. These were mostly younger guys who should have been the heart and soul of the team in another year or two. There's really no other choice but limp through a few bad years. I just don't see a magic pill in transfers, sorry.

I will have no expectations for this team until three games into the season at least. There's no way to guess who will be qb and how they'll play in the new system. Also all the new blood that will be infused will change things greatly. We need to give them time to gel and craft an identity. In the meantime we should sit back and let Bubba do his thing.

I will have no expectations for this team until three games into the season at least. There's no way to guess who will be qb and how they'll play in the new system. Also all the new blood that will be I feuded will change things greatly. We need to give them time to gel and craft an identity. In the meantime we should sit back and let Bubba do his thing.

Well said, this is good advice for all our fans.

I will have no expectations for this team until three games into the season at least. There's no way to guess who will be qb and how they'll play in the new system. Also all the new blood that will be infused will change things greatly. We need to give them time to gel and craft an identity. In the meantime we should sit back and let Bubba do his thing.

the new system would have to favor Molberg physically, but Bartels mentally

I've never been excited about bringing in Juco's or transfers. In our case now, we have no other choice, but we are throwing together a bunch of kids who nothing about each other or our program and doing it in a very short period of time. I had high expectations for us for this year, but I am now scaling back.

It's really disappointing that so many of these guys didn't work out. These were mostly younger guys who should have been the heart and soul of the team in another year or two. There's really no other choice but limp through a few bad years. I just don't see a magic pill in transfers, sorry.

You were quite pessimistic, perhaps overly so, even before Bubba was even hired. You declared recruiting would be a failure, and now you're trying to say next season will be a failure.

In the right situation, FBS transfers and JUCOs can become the main contributors on FCS teams. Look at past FCS teams in the top ten - most have FBS and JUCO transfers. Same goes for Walter Payton award finalists and even winners. The FBS ranks can deliver quality players, both on and off the field, if the right situation arises.

Saying we have "no choice but to limp through a few bad years" is bullsh*t. I'm sorry, but that's all it is. We may have a .500 or 5/4 win season in 2014, but a winning season could easily happen in 2015. It's the nature of college football. If we have the proper leadership, which I now think we do, and we recruit the right athletes, we can make this thing work sooner rather than later.

• Upvote 3

You've been quite pessimistic, perhaps overly so, before Bubba was even hiring. You declared recruiting would be a failure, and now you're trying to say next season will be a failure.

In the right situation, FBS transfers and JUCOs can become the main contributors on FCS teams. Look at past FCS teams in the top ten - most have FBS and JUCO transfers. Same goes for Walter Payton award finalists and even winners. The FBS ranks can deliver quality players, both on and off the field, if the right situation arises.

Saying we have "no choice but to limp through a few bad years" is bullsh*t. I'm sorry, but that's all it is. We may have a .500 or 5/4 win season in 2014, but a winning season could easily happen in 2015. It's the nature of college football. If we have the proper leadership, which I know think we do, and we recruit the right athletes, we can make this thing work sooner rather than later.

Braden Hanson was great in 2012. If we had a defense we would have won more games and perhaps beaten San Diego State.

Braden Hanson was great in 2012. If we had a defense we would have won more games and perhaps beaten San Diego State.

Hanson didn't play against San Diego State, he was injured and Hendrickson played. He had a great game outside of the pick-6 he threw in UND's first offensive play of the game.

Hanson didn't play against San Diego State, he was injured and Hendrickson played. He had a great game outside of the pick-6 he threw in UND's first offensive play of the game.

Hanson would have been murdered against them. Having the best athlete on the field at qb gave us a good shot at winning that day.

Hanson would have been murdered against them. Having the best athlete on the field at qb gave us a good shot at winning that day.

Not arguing that, Hendrickson had some key runs in that game and built on a record setting performance from the week before. Just pointing out that Hanson didn't play against San Diego St.

Not arguing that, Hendrickson had some key runs in that game and built on a record setting performance from the week before. Just pointing out that Hanson didn't play against San Diego St.

But if we had a defense we may have won.

Saying Hanson would've been "murdered" against them is way too bold and, in my opinion, incorrect. Hanson would've done fine. The atrocious defense was the problem that day, and well, basically all games since UND has been in the Big Sky. Defense needs to improve. I'm confident it will under Bubba's tutelage.

Saying Hanson would've been "murdered" against them is way too bold and, in my opinion, incorrect. Hanson would've done fine. The atrocious defense was the problem that day, and well, basically all games since UND has been in the Big Sky. Defense needs to improve. I'm confident it will under Bubba's tutelage.

Hendrickson did a lot of playmaking on the move that day. Also Hanson lacked the arm strength required for the trick play we burned them on.

I just feel they would have been able to tee off on Handon. Marcus burned them with his legs if they sent too much pressure.

You were quite pessimistic, perhaps overly so, even before Bubba was even hired. You declared recruiting would be a failure, and now you're trying to say next season will be a failure.

Saying we have "no choice but to limp through a few bad years" is bullsh*t. I'm sorry, but that's all it is. We may have a .500 or 5/4 win season in 2014, but a winning season could easily happen in 2015. It's the nature of college football. If we have the proper leadership, which I now think we do, and we recruit the right athletes, we can make this thing work sooner rather than later.

I wasn't happy with the recruiting early on because of the lack of commits, however I had been posting since Bubba took over that I thought were capable of 6-6. That was until 9 more players left the program for what ever reason. Like I said, I'm just not sold on transfers, some work, some don't.

I wasn't happy with the. recruiting early on because of the lack of commits, however I had been posting since Bubba took over that I thought were capable of 6-6. That was until 9 more players left the program for what ever reason. Like I said, I'm just not sold on transfers, some work, some don't.

Which of the players left do you feel was going to see the field this year? It will affect our depth with a guy like Rich leaving. He seemed like an effort guy on special teams last year and I was hoping he'd log minutes. I really don't see any starters on that list and who knows why they left.

Which of the players left do you feel was going to see the field this year? It will affect our depth with a guy like Rich leaving. He seemed like an effort guy on special teams last year and I was hoping he'd log minutes. I really don't see any starters on that list and who knows why they left.

I still had hope Sparks would improve. He certainly had the potential.

It's early, but yours has to be odds-on favorite for moronic post of the day.

You're right Soo.......we shouldn't expect accountability, hard work, and overcoming adversity. Much easier to quit and move on. Maybe if we see one another you can tell me how your time was at Occupy Wall Street.

You're right Soo.......we shouldn't expect accountability, hard work, and overcoming adversity. Much easier to quit and move on. Maybe if we see one another you can tell me how your time was at Occupy Wall Street.

His point was that you have no idea why these kids are leaving or even if they are leaving at this point. Some of them might have been told they are no longer welcome. Football takes a lot of time and for some it might be the right decision focus their efforts on academics if that is what they need to do.

To attribute everything that is happening to the liberalization of America is arrogant at best. You really don't know what is going into their decisions.

:lol: Thanks for the day-brightener!

• Upvote 1

His point was that you have no idea why these kids are leaving or even if they are leaving at this point. Some of them might have been told they are no longer welcome. Football takes a lot of time and for some it might be the right decision focus their efforts on academics if that is what they need to do.

To attribute everything that is happening to the liberalization of America is arrogant at best. You really don't know what is going into their decisions.

Well said!