SiouxSports.com Forum

Brock Nelson Scores

bigskyvikes

OK, would you guys support a Sioux-Gophers game at Memorial Stadium? Just throwing it out there, not saying I'm a big fan of outdoor games....

Memorial is too small, but I wouldn't mind seeing a Sioux-Gophers game at Target Field or TCF Bank Stadium.....

• Upvote 1

OK, would you guys support a Sioux-Gophers game at Memorial Stadium? Just throwing it out there, not saying I'm a big fan of outdoor games....

I think Memorial Stadium is about the perfect size venue for an outdoor game. I am not sure how much of an 'experience' watching an outdoor game can be from the top rows of Dodger Stadium or Michigan Stadium.

Sports Illustrated just had an article on the outdoor game at LA and pretty much raved about that one.

The thing that bugs me about the outdoor game is that the "fad" started in Edmonton in 2003, but the NHL has turned it into a farce. The 2011 Heritage Classic between Calgary and Montreal got about 1/80th of the attention that the 2011 Winter Classic game did. At least this year's Winter Classic consisted of a Canadian team.

http://www.edmontons...id-temperatures

Back on topic...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2aYvoUXuK7s

• Upvote 1

Funny thing is most of these guys have never played outdoors in their lives.

Right! Bloomington still has plenty of outdoor rinks and Richfield has a few around as well. I never see kids out there playing hockey...just old timers. The kids are either at the cushy rinks or at home playing Xbox.

I don't mind the outdoor games...I just don't like 6 outdoor games each year...overkill. Keep it to 1 game per year and that would be fine.

To answer your question - yes, I would watch the Sioux/Gophers outdoors, I think that would be fun.

Yeah six or maybe like 23 of them, there's way too many this season... :) All I know is that there's a lot of outdoor games this season.

Sad, but true. He showed great improvement between his Freshman and Sophomore year, would have been fun to see what he could do in a 3rd year.

I was skeptical when Brock left, but it is obvious he made the right decision. His first two years of professional hockey are almost identical to Zach Parise's, with both playing in the AHL their first year out of school, and then the NHL from there.:

Parise: AHL: 58 points, 0.79 NHL: 32 points

Nelson: AHL: 52 points, 0.79 ppg, NHL: on pace for about 31 points right now

Not saying he will be as a productive as Parise, just putting into perspective what he is accomplishing at the same age.

I was skeptical when Brock left, but it is obvious he made the right decision. His first two years of professional hockey are almost identical to Zach Parise's, with both playing in the AHL their first year out of school, and then the NHL from there.:

Parise: AHL: 58 points, 0.79 NHL: 32 points

Nelson: AHL: 52 points, 0.79 ppg, NHL: on pace for about 31 points right now

Not saying he will be as a productive as Parise, just putting into perspective what he is accomplishing at the same age.

If anyone got the signing bonus offer that Brock got and turned it down, they would have to be an idiot. He had to make that choice. I was sure bummed when he left, but I understood.